• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looking for support and understanding

Hello there :)
I have joined this site hoping to meet people that are struggling with the same issues that I have and am still currently experiencing. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease last year, after many years of being ill and not knowing what was wrong with me. I am 21 years old and would like to gain a better understanding from others with the same disease. Outsiders generally seem to have little patience or understanding, so who better to go to, than fellow sufferers.
I have recently just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy resulting in the change of medication from Asacol to Azapress, due to continuing flare ups. Hopefully this will help to get a balance in my system once again.

I am feeling quite despondent at this point, as Crohns is affecting my social life and just about everything else. I don't go out much as I feel too embarrassed (worried about the constant diarrhoea), or unwell.
Please can you tell me how you deal with this disease, and continue with as normal a life as possible. I know that Crohns cannot be cured and so one needs to accept that I will always have to medicate and this is not an issue. However, what I would so like to find is a way to find a balance so that I can continue with as normal a life as possible.

nogutsnoglory

Welcome to the forum we all understand what you're going through and unfortunately this disease does take a toll on our lives. There are some tools to help cope with the disease one of them is to make sure that you always have change of clothes, keep well hydrated and use OTC medicines like Imodium to control the diarrhea. I think a multi vitamin is critical to make up for anything you might not be absorbing through food. Just figure out the tools you need to make your life a little more bearable and have them at your disposal.

Hey minky1,

Welcome to the forum! I would recommend a sports drink as well as water to keep hydrated when going to the toilet a lot. The non-fizzy type to keep up your electrolytes.

I can understand how you feel about missing out on your social life due to Crohn's. I've missed lots of opportunities and fun stuff due to not feeling well over the last 2 years. It can be hard for people to understand especially when they can't feel what your going through on the inside.

I know its hard but try and keep positive, get a funny movie or book. I personally find emotions and stress can make me feel a bit worse. It's a catch 22.

Hopefully your medication will start working for you soon!

Best Wishes! x

Hi there,
I've been living with Crohn's disease for 20 years and it has its good days and not such good days. What I do is on the good days I embrace them, have fun, and enjoy life! On the not-so-good days I give in and rest. I've been through a resection, and have been hospitalized a number of times. But life goes on and we just have to meet life on life's terms. This is the cross we have to bear, it's not a death sentence ( although sometimes it can feel that way) it's just a way of "our" life. Positive thoughts to you and know that you can do this. Don't let your disease become who you are.