• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looking for white bread without emulsifiers

I am looking for a white bread without emulsifier. I see that pittas do not have it and I am buying that but want a bread that doesnt have it. I guess artisan bread doesnt have it but even then I dont know if supermarket breads would be ok even.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Have you thought of looking for flour like that? If so, sometimes it could be easier to make your own bread. We have a bread machine here at home and sometimes make our own breads/dough in it...

I'm not familiar with any store brand breads without it. Possibly store bought French bread would be least likely to contain emulsifiers, because of the way it's made.

My Husband and I normally do bake our bread, and we have a bread maker, but mostly use it just to knead the dough - which you can also do with a mixer, or even some blenders.

Our favorite bread to make is ciabatta, a French rustic bread, super easy and incredibly flavorful. Ciabatta is everything you would think most homemade breads should look and taste like, but most don't.

Traditional French bread only contains flour, yeast, salt and water, and doesn't us emulsifiers to make it moist because it is intentionally rather bland and dry.

Last edited:
I really cant cook and am also too lazy. Will look at the french breads. The pittas dont have emulsifier and they taste ok too.
I love french bread and all artisan breads anyway!

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Bread makers are really easy to use. Just basically throw the ingredients into it and let it go. It can either just make the dough or it can do the whole thing for you. Whenever ours dies we just pick one up from goodwill for fairly cheap and then clean it up a little before we use it. Got to admit that without ours most times we wouldn't be making our doughs either...

Just a quick update sainsbury own brand sliced white bread doesn't have any in it. So does the brown and the organic brown.