• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looks like my husband has shingles!!!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Oh boy - can't catch a break!!!...

Husband has had a headache for the last 5 days - finally went to the doctor day before yesterday to be seen and got some migrane medicine....Monday evening said his face was feeling tingly - more on one side - thought it was maybe a reaction to the medication as that was listed as a side effect......then last night, he started to complain that his left eye seemed to be closing, and sure enough, it was kind of droopy - but with no corresponding drooping of this facial muscles, mouth etc (rule out stroke).....

Today, he texts me a picture showing his left eye is MUCH worse.....I tell him to call the doctor and they get him in with about an hour and a half notice....

By the time he gets there, he has a rash starting on his left side of his face, and the PA at the doctors' office notices it goes up into his scalp.....

Diagnosis - SHINGLES!.....joy oh joy.....at least the symptoms now make sense, the lingering headache, rash, etc.....

Off to do some reading up on it to make sure I don't have to worry about anything......

fuzzy butterfly

Oh Lisa, what a nightmare hun. Poor hubby i belive singles can be pretty painful. My grandfather had it years ago. I hope he gets better soon and isnt in too much pain.
Hugs to you both 💕

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Thanks fuzzy......he now has a beauty of a blister on his eye lid, with the rash running up his forehead to his scalp......he was supposed to work out of town this weekend and had to cancel that, he has trouble with his vision due to the oozing/Ick.......he goes back to the ophthalmologist next week for a follow up.....

my little penguin

Staff member
Hugs
Fwiw
DH had shingles as well while Ds (12) was on either 6-mp or Mtx plus pred
Can't remember it's been a while
Gi just had Ds get titers for chicken pox vaccine ( since he never had chicken pox )
He did get a hivey rash ( 2 spots) which we're determined to only be a rash and not chicken pox

Let your Gi know but basically we were told if you haven't had chicken pox then that is more likely to develop since you have to have that first
More hugs

Sorry to hear about your husband.
Does anyone know if as Crohns patients on immunosuppressive Meds if we should get vaccinated for shingles? I've heard the vaccination is live virus, so I wasn't sure if that might cause problem?

fuzzy butterfly

Thanks fuzzy......he now has a beauty of a blister on his eye lid, with the rash running up his forehead to his scalp......he was supposed to work out of town this weekend and had to cancel that, he has trouble with his vision due to the oozing/Ick.......he goes back to the ophthalmologist next week for a follow up.....
Oh hun that sounds nasty..i really hope it clears up quickly. Best wishes n hugs 💕

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Looks like he is slowly getting better...although is it poor of me to think 'Quasimodo' when I look at him right now? lol..... Gotta laugh at something!

Seriously, yesterday evening the rash wasn't as angry/red looking, and looks like the blisters have stopped forming and are starting to dry up.