• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Losing appetite but feeling healthy, flare incoming?

So for the past 6 months, I've been eating literally everything, I would even eat snacks after the food and that was a-lot of food.
I'm feeling healthy right now with Humira treatment and going to the bathroom 2 times a day on average.
However, my appetite has gone down and it reminds me of how my appetite was for the last couple years,
I eat a couple bites and then think about "other things I could be doing right now because there's no way I'm finishing this food", I stare at the amazing food for a couple minutes, and then just get up and leave it.
This is so tragic, I love food and I used to finish the plates and even way extra after.

You might say that this is due to the lack of prednisone, but I haven't been on prednisone since late December of 2020.

This literally started about 2 weeks ago, there are still some days in-between where I finish everything, but these are inconsistent now.
I love the taste of my food and I don't think it has to do with me not liking the food.

Maybe it's depression?
or maybe a Crohn's flare is sneaking in, but wouldn't I see blood in my stool, or some joint pain?

Hi there - I know with my son, when he started losing his appetite, that is a red flag for an oncoming flare. It has happened a few times even if he was still okay in other areas. Once he had the right remicade levels, this didn't happen anymore. Have you had your blood checked lately--humira levels? How long has it been since your appetite has decreased? How often are your Humira injections?

crohnsinct

6 months after discontinuing steroids, it could be the start of a flare or it could be something else. Everything with this disease is clear as mud. How often do you get bloodwork done? Are you noticing any trends with labs, increasing inflammatory markers, other labs going wonky?

My daughter is in a flare and the loss of appetite is the thing she is most upset about. She also loves food and is practically to tears because she eats a few bites and can't eat anymore. But for her the loss of appetite is usually the last symptom. For her the frequency, urgency and bleeding start the ball rolling.

I would keep an eye on it and mention it to the doc next time you see or talk to them.

Hi there - I know with my son, when he started losing his appetite, that is a red flag for an oncoming flare. It has happened a few times even if he was still okay in other areas. Once he had the right remicade levels, this didn't happen anymore. Have you had your blood checked lately--humira levels? How long has it been since your appetite has decreased? How often are your Humira injections?
I take my Humira biweekly.
The interesting part is that some days I won’t finish lunch, but I’ll devour dinner, it’s really strange.
This has started around 2 weeks ago or a week and a half ago.

I checked my blood about 3 months ago and at the time the inflammation was pretty much gone.

my little penguin

Staff member
One other “rock” is delayed gastric emptying
When my kiddos duodenum was inflamed it did not empty his stomach at a normal rate -he now takes erythromycin to cause his stomach to empty faster

I've been on Humira for about 3 years now. I've noticed that my appetite tends to come and go. Sometimes I'll eat like a horse. Other times, I'll go 4 or 5 days or even longer and barely eat enough to comprise one or two full meals total. As long as you aren't having any other symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much unless it persists for a few weeks or longer. It's still worth mentioning to your doctor, though.

I also get this. For me I have ibs and ibd and although it used to sometimes be around ibd flare ups. I've since noticed it can be totally random and for no reason as I'm in remission.
I do wonder if for me it is slightly psychological. Because food has caused obstructions and so much pain (allergies etc) I'm thinking my brain just goes... nope! Your done now. Even when I literally would have my stomach rumbling when I stopped eating. It sometimes makes me feel full very quickly, sometimes it doesnt but I just quickly and randomly lose all interest in food. I tried forcing it and gagged. But like you, mostly its perfectly fine and I can eat (for me) large meals and not have a problem.

I would stay away from industrial snacks if that was the kind of snack you mentionned.

all the nasty things inside can really impair our guts, and trigger flares

Typically when this has happened to me, it’s been time to switch meds, not necessarily a flare but when my meds stop working usually the first symptom is my appetite decreases.

I would stay away from industrial snacks if that was the kind of snack you mentionned.

all the nasty things inside can really impair our guts, and trigger flares
Yes - the processed and preserved stuff should be avoided as much as possible. It can contribute to flares and other conditions that aren't even GI related. Aside from that, eating very much of that stuff just makes you feel drained and overall unwell in general.