• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Losing weight after Pred

How long did it take you to start losing weight after pred?

I'm quite confused, my weight was stable for a few months on low dose pred (i.e. staying the same)

Then I took up cycling to try to lose some weight and kept count of my calories etc and suddenly I'm gaining? Any explanations?

I've been off pred a week.

It could be a few things. Steroids themselves make you gain water weight, and pred also increases your appetite. SInce you were a low dosage of pred though, this shouldn't have been too much of a factor.

As far as losing weight, to get that water weight off, cut out sugary drinks and drink lots of water and other diuretics (coffee is an example.....although the caffeine may upset the gut)

Since you said you began cycling and calorie counting, the weight gain is most likely muscle gain. Muscle weight is heavier than fat. This is something some people overlook when they are trying to lose weight by excersizing, and they get worried and start to eat less, and workout more and it throws their whole bodies out of whack. You could be gaining muscle, or since you just recently stopped pred, your body is cycling it out and putting a little water weight on.

Just some stuff to think about. Is it a lot of weight you have been gaining, or just a couple of pounds?

Sorry I think I confused the situation, I was on high dose pred and gained 3 stones but my weight had stabilised and I had stopped gaining weight. So I started cycling to try to lose the pred weight and Now I have gained 4lb over a couple of weeks. People have told me I look thinner particularly round my face so my moon face is going away for sure.

Sorry I think I confused the situation, I was on high dose pred and gained 3 stones but my weight had stabilised and I had stopped gaining weight. So I started cycling to try to lose the pred weight and Now I have gained 4lb over a couple of weeks. People have told me I look thinner particularly round my face so my moon face is going away for sure.
4lbs is a very small amount. Especially if you still have diarrhoea regularly, your weight can fluctuate a lot as the amount of water-weight lost through diarrhoea varies from day to day. I think you have to give it longer so you can see if there's a consistent pattern of weight gain over several weeks before worrying that you're gaining.

4lbs is a very small amount. Especially if you still have diarrhoea regularly, your weight can fluctuate a lot as the amount of water-weight lost through diarrhoea varies from day to day. I think you have to give it longer so you can see if there's a consistent pattern of weight gain over several weeks before worrying that you're gaining.
I'm still sitting 4lb up for about 3 weeks :(

Normally I wouldn't mind putting on 4lb, but as it's on top of the 3 stone of pred weight then it's a bit depressing, especially when I'm trying so hard to lose it.

It's still normal for weight problems when on pred. Everyone's body is also different so it may take a while to shed the desired weight off. Just remember to keep determined and keep cycling and eating healthy! You could also ask your doctor or GI about it as well. They may have some pointers. Good luck!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
My GI gave me the impression that it takes at least a couple weeks for pred to leave your system, so maybe it's something like that that's hindering your weight loss. My GI had prescribed me pred, I took it for about 6 days, then he said I had to stop it immediately because he wanted me to have a blood test and that I had to be off of it for at least 2 weeks before having the test, so that it wouldn't influence the results. I was only on 20 mg at that time (and since I was on it for less than a week, I didn't have to taper, it was safe to stop cold turkey since it was such a short time). I'm not sure if it sticks around in your system longer if you're on it for a longer time/higher dose? But the weight should start shifting eventually as it leaves your system completely. Don't give up on exercise. :)