• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Losing weight/can't eat

Hello, and thank you so much for giving my post your time. :) Here's the gist. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease on March 1st via colonoscopy. It appeared to be a mild case but given my symptoms (a history since birth of horrible stomach pain, diarrhea, and constipation, as well as mouth ulcers and difficult to treat Iritis) my GI was certain there was more present in my small intestines, more than likely in the moderate to severe range. One Flex Sig, CT scan, multiple X-rays, and an attempted small bowel follow through later my insurance decided they didn't want to approve the Pill Cam so my one way of knowing if my Crohn's is worse than originally thought has been cut. My GI decided to proceed with treatment regardless. What matters is not how bad my Crohn's is, but if we can get it under control. I was put on Asacol which only caused blood in my stool and lowered my white blood cell count. I have tried Proctofoam and Mesalamine enemas to lessen the discomfort. None of it has worked. My GI is very hesitant to put me on Prednisone because of my age (I only just turned eighteen). He's worried about complications with the drug. Instead he put me on Entocort and Bentyl, which have worked wonders for the past month. They have been miracle drugs and I thought for sure this was it. I've felt so awake, so energetic, and just overall healthy since I've started taking them. At the start of summer I flew to New York with my mother for my 18th birthday. We were there for ten days and it started off well but by the end of the ten days my stomach was severely distended, I felt bloated and very constipated. I thought it was just because I had been traveling and I was feeling well so I had been eating more than I usually did. I wasn't too worried about it. But it's like the second we arrived back home a switch was flipped inside of me. The stomach pain and diarrhea returned with a vengeance. I've dropped a good inch or two around my mid section and I haven't been able to eat much at all. I don't ever feel hungry and when I try to force myself to eat I can usually only take a few bites before I absolutely can't anymore. I don't know what's going on with me. I've never not been able to eat like this and I'm worried that it's a sign that I'm failing the Entocort and Bentyl. I don't know what I'll do if that's the case. My GI told me at our last visit that Remicade is the next step should I not do well with this new medicine, and given the side effects of Remicade I'm really worried about going on it. I was going to bring all of this up to my GI at our next appointment but it won't be for another several weeks and I really want to know what's going on now. What do you think is happening? Am I failing the Entocort and the Bentyl? Am I beginning to flare again?

Oh my, such a horrible disease to have at such a young age. I've felt like you, unable to eat, no appetite. I think you should call your doctor's office and tell them what's going on. Definitely needs attention now. In the meantime, sip on gatorade, or something like it. If you don't want to drink it, freeze it into ice cubes, and suck on the pieces.

Hugs! :ghug:

I'm sorry your Crohn's is giving you a tough battle! :ymad: Unfortunately, the nature of the beast tends to be worse when you are younger.

I understand your concerns! Having a mild case of Crohn's is a concern when you can't get the flare under control. I have been on Remicade, but got taken off due to drug induced Lupus & am now on another biologic. Although your Crohn's is mild-moderate, you may need it. I am shocked your GI hasn't put you on Prednisone to aleast induce remission. Remicade is a bigger step than Prednisone. I don't understand why your Gi won't put you on steroids? I am 15 & have been on Prednisone since October & I know of toddlers who are on steroids for their Crohn's. I have severe Crohn's & so do the younger children who have Crohn's but still, you are old enough to tolerate steroids.

As for the weight issue, has your GI mentioned tube feedings or Enteral nutrition? Enteral nutrition can induce remission at the same rates as steroids & is much safer. I can't offer much diet adivce because I've lost 90ishh pounds in a year & am trying to not get on a feeding tube. What does help me to try to add calories to my diet is a lot of smoothies & milkshakes! As a rule of thumb, when flaring, you should multiply your weight(in kilos) times 40 and that's how many calories a day, at least, you should be eating.

If you ever need to talk, message me!

Boost and Ensure, toast and tea were all I could tolerate really well for awhile!

Get in touch with the GI again and let him know things have made a downturn. He might be able to adjust your meds over the phone to tide you over unitl the appointment.

Remicade is scary, but once you are on it and it works - its wonderful!! I had a hard time accepting that I was sick enough to have to go there and that I had to take such a powerful medication - and I am 44!!! Mine prgressed from mod to severe within 2 years of diagnosis and it is difficult! Hugs and try some Boost.

Thank you all so much! It's nice to have people actually understand what I'm going through for a change. I try to talk to family and friends about it but all they are is sympathetic at best, or they try to relate what I'm going through to their occasional upset stomach. It can be hard to tolerate.

Miss Underestimated: Thank you for the advice. I tried to call my GI but had to leave a message, and his nurse hasn't gotten back to me, which is very typical. If he wasn't such an amazing doctor I would look elsewhere. As for the Gatorade, I can't tolerate it. It's what I use for my colonoscopy preps so my mind equates the taste with diarrhea and vomiting. I have been keeping hydrated with plenty of water and orange juice though and it seems to be working out fine.

Keepingfaith: My GI has a deep dislike for steroids, especially with younger people. He didn't even want to put me on the Entocort. He only planned on having me on it for three months and hoped that by the end of the three months I would have achieved remission and he could take me off. I don't even care what he puts me on. If the Remicade will make the symptoms go away then Remicade it is. I just want something that works. Not something that works now but stops working within a month.

As for the feeding tube, I've never had to have that discussion with him. I haven't lost weight yet (not counting now). If anything I've gained it, apart from when I was about thirteen and dropped from 130ish to about 100 in a month, but that was before we knew about the Crohn's. When do they decide that you need to be put on a feeding tube? It doesn't sound good. I really hope you don't have to go on it. Thank you for the reply! It's so rare that I meet someone my age with this disease, which on one hand is great and I'm glad, but at the same time it gets a bit lonely.

Kllyeve: Thank you so much for the reply! It's always nice to hear good things about Remicade. A lot of people focus on the horrible things that it CAN do and not on the wonderful things that it DOES do. I'm glad Remicade is working out for you. You're so brave for going through that! My biggest fear is that the disease will get worse. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be in that position. I hope you have a wonderful day and best of luck!

Ahh! If you haven't lost weight(I thought you did by the titele) he probably won't put you on an NG tube. A friend of mine is 5'7 and she didn't get put on her NG tube till she hit 85 pounds so I doubt he'll put in the NG tube for you. I had the NG tube put in when I didn't eat for 4 days straight and lost 20 pounds in one month.

Hang in there! It can take awhile to get in Remission. I've never been in remission. Don't be discouraged that the entocourt isn't working! Rarely do people get in remission with the first medication they try. That is why Prednisone is used more often than entocourt because it is absorbed faster and more than entocourt so it can get the inflammation down quickly. Hang in there! Hopefully, if your GI puts you on Remicade, you'll get a lot better! A friend of mine got put on Remicade and he grew 4 inches & gained 20 pounds in 2 months time! It really was/is great for him!

Ahh! If you haven't lost weight(I thought you did by the titele) he probably won't put you on an NG tube. A friend of mine is 5'7 and she didn't get put on her NG tube till she hit 85 pounds so I doubt he'll put in the NG tube for you. I had the NG tube put in when I didn't eat for 4 days straight and lost 20 pounds in one month.
I had to comment on this, 85lbs!? Ouch, I couldn't imagine being that bad. I got very low in weight early in my crohn's life but thats just crazy.

But Kristina, Have you tried like a liquid diet untill you can start putting food down better? Or do liquids have the same effect? (Can't even get them down)

Sad thing was, she doesn't have Crohn's. She had a condition called MALS. If I remember correctly, an artery was at a weird angle in her stomach so she got excrutiating pain everytime she ate(still does) but she got it fixed with surgery. To say she was 'thin' was an understatement. When my friend bought her a pair of double zero shorts they were baggy & she had to wear a belt with it.

Keepingfaith: I hadn't started losing weight until recently. I don't have a correct scale in my house so I'm not sure how much, but I'm a good two inches thinner already. Not sure how much is just flare though. 85 pounds?? That's awful!! I hope she's doing better now. Poor thing.

Ethan: I can keep water and orange juice down. I haven't tried much else. I know I can't do Gatorade or jello. Pretty much everything I eat when I'm prepping for a colonoscopy or a flex sig is a no-go. I just can't keep them down. But I can eat regular food. I just have to eat small amounts of it and things that are plain like bagels and toast.