• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lost

Hi, I'm 15 and 6 months ago my older sister was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. There's a 20 year age gap between us, but I was wondering if it could be possible that I have it? Lately things have not been right, I am always exausted however much I sleep, my periods are irregular, I get bad stomach pains at points, and now after my latest period I'm getting staining in my underwear. I could really do with some advice, my boyfriends worried about me and says I should see a doctor but I don't want to stress out my mum more by having another ill child.
Thank you

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello! Welcome to the forum!

Yes, it is possible that you might have crohns, having a sibling with it means that you have a slightly higher chance than most people.

You seem a very thoughtful girl to be worried about how it will make your mum feel, but I think your boyfriend is right, you need to talk to her and get yourself checked out.

As I'm sure you know, crohns can creep up on you, and it can get really serious if it's not treated, so it'll be better for you if you get checked sooner rather than later. The earlier it's detected, the easier it could be to treat and get under control, of course, you might not have crohns and this could be something else, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Have a chat to your mum and tell her what you've told us.

You might also want to have a look at the teens section in the support forum, so that you can chat to other people your age and see how they deal with things.

I second what was said - have a chat with your mother.
I was the same as you - I have a brother with Crohn's and when I started having symptoms, I didn't want to worry my mother though she realized something was wrong. The stomach pains and bleeding stopped for a few years so I never did anything about it. When it came back ( I would bleed without any BMs) I told mom and we checked it out and followed the path towards diagnosis of Crohn's.
I found my mother was more understanding after going through the process already once.
Good luck and hope it is only a slight scare and not anything serious

David

Co-Founder
I wanted to also welcome you to the community. Let's hope that it's not Crohn's but as the others said, it's always better to be safe.

Please keep us updated as to how you're doing.

I agree with the others.
I don't have this but my dear fiver old does.
Trust me as a mom I would want to know if my other child(ren) might be having issues.
I hope you don't have it but you should find out.

Hugs