• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Love for my Husband

Hello! I'm going to start off by saying my husband has Crohn's not myself. I'm on here for information and to help him heal. Also...support! I seem to cry just about everyday cause I hate seeing him in pain! My husband was just diagnosed and can't seem to get any relief! He can't go to work and that also worries me. Can anyone tell me what would be good for him to eat? I have been trying to keep it pretty mild but for anyone that get's old really fast.
Also, how long are we looking at for these meds. to kick in? All he's been doing is laying in bed and hot baths.
Thanks in advance and God bless!!

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Welcome to CrohnsForum JenSwanner,

I am so sorry you and your husband are going through all of this. I am sure it is difficult for you to see him in such pain. You want to "fix it" but are unable to do so.

Has his doctor given him any pain medication? While opiates are not great for Chronic pain, they may be able to help his acute (short term) pain while he is waiting for the medication to kick in. I am not sure what type of meds he is on so am unsure how to answer that question. Has he had similar problems in the past? Does he have an Abscess that is causing him such pain?

I would definately keep in touch with his doctors and let him know how much pain he is in. If the pain does not quiet down soon it may mean he needs different medication or a different type of treatment, of possibly some stronger pain medications.

You mentioned you are trying to keep his diet mild. One of the mildest things I can think of is bread. However, bread is a big trigger for people with Crohn's Disease. People with Crohn's have a reaction to Yeast. Yeast (in bread and other foods) triggers an [wiki=Inflammation]Inflammatory Reaction[/wiki] in their Gut and actually causes more Inflammation and Pain. Also, seeds, popcorn, and this type of thing that can get "caught" in the GI tract are bad foods as well.

A lot of folks have had luck with different diets out there:
Specific Carbohydrate Diet
Specific Carbohydrate Diet
Diet and Nutrition
[wiki]Low Residue Diet[/wiki]
Safe and Unsafe Foods
[wiki]Paleolithic Diet[/wiki]
[wiki]Total Parenteral Nutrition[/wiki]

I know this is a lot of information.....I hope it helps.
I know you are both going through a difficult time right now. Just know, your husband is very lucky to have your support. As hard as it is, he really needs you right now. Thank you for being there for him.
Welcome to CrohnsForum. Please keep us updated on his progress. :)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear your husband is having such a horrible time of things at the moment. What meds has he been put on and how long has he been taking them? When is he due to see his doc again for a check up? I believe Judith has got things covered food wise so I don't have anything to add there.

Wishing you both all that best and please and please keep us updated on how things are going.

AB
xx

maria

I love you God.
Very sorry. I know for me anything healthy would be like asking for trouble! The only thing I could eat was good old top ramen it actually soothed me. What I would do is break up the noodles and cook it according to directions. It was the only thing that kept in me and was easy to "get rid of". Also the salt is very good for all the water loss. Also as mentioned above nuts, and popcorn, coconut, lettuce, I would stay far away from. Well at least for me this all worked. Also the hottest baths I could stand totally help with the pain.
What I loved was someone rub a certain spot on me and I would just think of that while my pain would pass. This is what helped me and I hope it all gets better for you guys. Youre an awesome wife and gl.