• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lovely (sarcasm)

I guess it never ends -- it looks like I might end up needing to make a doctor's appointment for my 5 (6 in July) year old son with his doctor. The timing couldn't be more perfect since after all, we're barely able to deal with my funky stomach pain and bowels. :yrolleyes:

So, we sort of joke that our middle son can out-gas anyone in the house. :ycool: No really, I live with three sons and a husband -- I can verify this! lol Well, I'm actually beginning to wonder if it's a symptom of something bigger. There's no such thing as TMI on this board, right? I've been noticing that he's ruining his underwear...and I don't mean that he's not wiping good, either. I can't begin to count how many times I've tossed out his underwear and at least 3-4 times this week ALONE I've found them soiled with "liquid-ish poop". In fact, today I noticed a pair he took off (he usually won't tell me -- I end up finding it at the bottom of the clothes hamper because he's embarassed) and it almost had a red tint to it?!? I've never seen blood in bowel movements and it's hard to inspect it when it's just a soiled stain, so I don't know...

I caught him on the toilet earlier, so when he was done I snuck a peak in there and saw that it's thick diarrhea. Over the weekend, I'd like to check every time he goes and see if it's like that all the time. I asked him if his belly hurt when he pooped and he said yes and pointed to his left side, although he's never complained to me, so maybe it's just something he's dealt with because he thinks it's normal? That's how it was for me, too.

So yeah, looks like I'll be calling the doctor's office on Monday to schedule something. I absolutely LOVE our pediatrician, so I have faith that he'll take us seriously, esp. with me being in the process of being tested for IBD myself. Don;t want to jump to any conclusions, but I definitely don't want to wait it out.

Thanks for listening, ladies and gents. This board has become such an outlet for me and everyone here is so comforting. :)

You'll find that if a parent has something there are few doctors who have a second thought about diagnosing the child with it. It doesn't really matter what the problem is. Try to be as objective as possible. 5 years old would be a very unusual age for the disease to present itself. There are other possible causes. Especially for someone his age. That's not to say it's impossible though. Just don't panic too much about it.

I know that's hard to do, too. I have a 1 year old and I spend a good deal of time in the pediatrics unit surrounded by kids with contagious childhood illnesses like RSV and impetigo. It's pretty easy for me to see the first signs of some rash and freak out.

Colt said:
You'll find that if a parent has something there are few doctors who have a second thought about diagnosing the child with it. It doesn't really matter what the problem is. Try to be as objective as possible. 5 years old would be a very unusual age for the disease to present itself. There are other possible causes. Especially for someone his age. That's not to say it's impossible though. Just don't panic too much about it.

I know that's hard to do, too. I have a 1 year old and I spend a good deal of time in the pediatrics unit surrounded by kids with contagious childhood illnesses like RSV and impetigo. It's pretty easy for me to see the first signs of some rash and freak out.
Definitely. I don't want to come off as a hypochondriac (I'm anything but), however, it's an eyebrow raiser for me and I'll be paying closer attention to his bowel movements. I know this has been going on for a while, but never paid much mind to it because up until recently, I didn't think having these sorts of pains and poops were abnormal. :confused2:

aw good luck with him vanessa.
i hope it does turn out to be something else. but whatever it is i hope that it gets figured out soon.
im glad you caught this stuff now, if he was embarrased and didnt want to tell you, it couldve just kept going on! poor little guy.
i was one of those unusual kids with tummy symptoms that young, so its not IMpossible, as colt said. just unusual, as was always told to me too

kello82 said:
aw good luck with him vanessa.
i hope it does turn out to be something else. but whatever it is i hope that it gets figured out soon.
im glad you caught this stuff now, if he was embarrased and didnt want to tell you, it couldve just kept going on! poor little guy.
i was one of those unusual kids with tummy symptoms that young, so its not IMpossible, as colt said. just unusual, as was always told to me too
Thank you. :) Hopefully the doctor can recommend some non-invasive testing to start off with just to get an idea of what might be going on in there.

Hey fellow Texan!

I just posted below about my seven year old. It's taken several trips to the pediatrician to get the doc to take this seriously. Each time it gets blown off as... let's see, bad water from Ike (even though they say the water system was never comprimised anywhere), result of too many antibiotics, and stress.

So yesterday she wanted to blame the diarrhea on milk products. Nope we eliminated that from the diet a month ago. Then she said it might be too much juice, nope, that got eliminated. And then she settled on too much fruit...no more than two or three in a day.

Yesterday she told me she just thinks it's food allergies and gave and gave me the predictiable "she just needs to eat more yogurt" but went ahead and ordered blood tests to check for inflammation. About time! Hey, I never heard of a food allergy that causes bits of green stuff to come out in one's urine though. If the blood tests come back consistent with IBD I'm taking her to Methodist in the medical center in Houston immediately.

Good luck with your ped visit!

And with all the business that one of our toilets has been getting it clogged yesterday. Lovely.

CD68 said:
Hey fellow Texan!

I just posted below about my seven year old. It's taken several trips to the pediatrician to get the doc to take this seriously. Each time it gets blown off as... let's see, bad water from Ike (even though they say the water system was never comprimised anywhere), result of too many antibiotics, and stress.

So yesterday she wanted to blame the diarrhea on milk products. Nope we eliminated that from the diet a month ago. Then she said it might be too much juice, nope, that got eliminated. And then she settled on too much fruit...no more than two or three in a day.

Yesterday she told me she just thinks it's food allergies and gave and gave me the predictiable "she just needs to eat more yogurt" but went ahead and ordered blood tests to check for inflammation. About time! Hey, I never heard of a food allergy that causes bits of green stuff to come out in one's urine though. If the blood tests come back consistent with IBD I'm taking her to Methodist in the medical center in Houston immediately.

Good luck with your ped visit!

And with all the business that one of our toilets has been getting it clogged yesterday. Lovely.
I heard my husband plunging the toilet late last night due to our son, so I feel your pain, LOL.

I'm sorry your 7 year old is dealing with problems, too. I hope they figure out something asap!

good luck vshirley! i'm sorry that your son is having such symptoms, but i'm happy that you're monitoring things and are being cautious.

hopefully he feels better soon and you figure out what's going on with his health.

take care

Thanks Cheeky (and to others who replied).

Been keeping an eye on the little one and his stools are still loose, blaaaaaaah.