• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Low Carb Diet

Found this on a health forum. I have no idea how well it works but the avoid foods list looks correct.

Dan Bergman

Dr Richard Gearry, senior lecturer at Otago University's Christchurch School of Medicine, has found a low-carbohydrate diet can quickly ease the suffering of people with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).

In a study of 100 patients at Box Hill Hospital in Victoria, Australia, Gearry found the diet was effective in more than half of those with IBD – an umbrella term for Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.

"Doctors have known for a long time that patients know what affects their condition and causes symptoms," he said.

"Dietitians and doctors and scientists looked at this more closely and identified a number of foods that can cause abdominal pain and diarrhea."

The diet involves cutting back on wheat, onions, milk, ice cream, apples, honey and stone fruits. Legumes were also found to cause pain.

"Often they are sugars and carbohydrates that are not absorbed when they pass through the bowel and when they get into the colon they can ferment and produce gas and pain," Gearry said.

The diet could also help those with irritable bowel syndrome.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4255468a7144.html

Kev

Ahhh, say it ain't so. not my honey. I cut out onions, I don't touch any real milk, whole wheat, ice cream, any fruit with pits, stones, seeds, etc., green legumes or gassy vegies, and the only fruit I get are over-ripe bananas or apple sauce/juice, my regular glass or two of calcium enriched, low lactose orange juice, occasionally a glass of tomato juice... but honey! Geeze, Louise. It's the only sweet in my diet. Guess I'll have to start looking at 'artificial' sweeteners. Anybody got any insights or tips on what to look for/avoid there?

Honey does not seem to bother me either. It is also anti-bacterial, so I would not get too worried about it. It has got to be better than sugar or artificial sweetneers.

Stevia is the only artificial sweetner that I would consider. Others are D-Mannose and Xylitol. However the last two are not recommended for Crohn's people, but I do not know why in particular. May have something to do with the properties both have of making bacteria not stick to the the insides. Kind of like a bacterial teflon coating. They work well for sinus and bladder infections.

Dan Bergman

X

xboxchamp593

I would like to loose some weight

Hello friends, I am 15 years old and weigh 160 pounds. I would like to loose some weight. I haven't found the right diet for me. Right now I'm just trying to drop a few pounds to get me started on a diet. I want to stick on the diet without the weight coming all back. If anyone has had a successful diet please let me know. I don’t prefer diet pills because I think there is a bad effect in diet pills. Please help me.

I think the low carb diet would probably help with weight loss. Sugar and foods that convert into sugar are easily stored as fat. Foods made with flour are easily converted into sugar. Soda is probably the single biggest contributor to weight gain. It is also terrible for your teeth and health. Sugary drinks should be avoided. High Fructose Corn syrup is another fattening and horrible for your health additive. It is in all but a few brands of soda.

As a general rule, the less processed the food is, the better it is for you. These foods also do not promote weight gain. The problem with Crohn's is that raw foods can be hard to tolerate. Meat does not tend to promote weight gain. Leave the hunks of fat off of it.

Exercise is the other part of the equation. You have to burn more calories than you take in, to lose weight. If your name is accurate, you may have to find a few more hobbies that are more active in nature. Or, you could find an active part time job.

It is hard to lose weight, but most people only need to make small changes over time to slowly reduce. For most people your age it is the sugary foods, soda and junk foods that are the main problem. I guess it really is the same problem for all of us. We like our junk food, but it does not like us back.

Good Luck

Dan Bergman

Kev

Yeah, I agree with Dan. I'm on a low fat diet, but I have to eat a lot of proteins. I was amazed at the differences in fat content in a lot of common protein sources. I read the labels, and some of the things I found were just astonishing. Like, on the rare occasions I eat ground beef, I either opt for a substitute (there are some nice non meat meatballs which taste great, offer hi protein and very low fat) or else I go with an extra lean ground beef pattie. My 'burger' of choice has less than 1/3 the fat of a typical burger, and about 1/4 of the calories. I prefer non red meat, and specific cuts of pork can be extremely low in fat. Skinless chicken is way lower in fat/calories than chicken with skin. I checked all of the chicken N turkey bacons, skillet strips, breakfast stips, trying to find something really low to have as a protein source with my breakfast. Of all the things I looked at, lite N lean shaved ham was the lowest in calories and fat. I can make a mean bagel Mcbreakfast with my ham. or a great ommelete.
Fries with that? Well, deep frying is out of the question, there are packaged fries that aren't too hi in fat/calories.. BUT, by cutting up some potatoes, then grilling them in a toaster over, I make my own 'fat free' fries that taste great.
anyway, where theres a will theres a way, feel free to try any of these ideas.