• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Low Cholesterol

Have any of you experience with low cholesterol?
I tried searching the forum but it ignored the word low so a bit pointless...

My values are:
HDL-C 0.87 (ref range 0.96-2.38 mmol/L)
Triglicerides 1.39 (ref range 0.56-2.96 mmol/L)
Cholesterol 3.07 (ref range 4.42-7.53 mmol/L)
LDL 3rdGen 1.64 ( >3.36 mmol/L)

I did a bit of googling and found that too low was also not good (the usual suspects, cancer, depression, anxiety and memory loss) but no hints on what to do about it or if there should be someting done about it. And found 1 reference to GI diseases/malnutrition as a possible cause but not much else.

Now my memory has been really bad for the last couple of years, coinciding with this flare I'm in atm. I just thought it was due to the disease or medication etc.

I'll be retested in the next few weeks to see if it was just a one off but in the meantime I'd like to hear your thoughts or experiences; Is it just a side effect of long term CD and is there anything I could be doing about it?

Thanks,

It would be interesting to see if raising your cholesterol levels improved your memory.

One of the better ways to raise HDL cholesterol levels is to obtain some sensible sun exposure (of course if your medication doesn't make you overly sensitive to the sun).

It isn't the same as being in the sun, many confuse the two - taking 5000ius of vitamin D3 a day will often times raise HDL levels. It can take up to a year for your HDL levels to rise doing this but some report big gains in cholesterol levels from what some describe as the healthy cholesterol.

Personally I'm not a believer in the cholesterol theory of heart disease. Some side effects from taking a cholesterol lowering medication, statins, are believed to cause memory issues in some. In particular there was a doctor that worked for NASA that was best known for writing and talking about memory problems he and other experienced after taking statin medication.

Thanks both, that was interesting reading.

I guess I'll have to eat more eggs and butter although too much of either makes me nauseous and:poo:. Sun is out of the question as I'm allergic:mad2:
I do take extra vit D to make up for that.

Anyhow it's worth a try to get it up and hopefully it will help my memory problems!