• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Low Fibre Diet

Hi,

It's been a while since i've posted, but i'll update you on what's been going on.

Earlier this year I went on the Inflixmab infusion to deal with treatment for a fistula in my intestines, as the doctors didn't want me to go on steroids anymore as my bones were getting weaker.

One of the side effects of the steroids (obviously) is weight gain, I'm 16 stone and have gained a bit of a belly and want to lose some weight. My goal is to turn it in to muscle, and i'm working out doing both weight training and cardio right now but my problem is my diet though.

This fistula developed 5 years ago, and since then i've been advised to have a low-fibre diet. This wasn't a problem for me when i didn't mind the belly, but now I've got it, it's becoming a problem to get rid off.

My diet mainly consisted off takeaways and junk food, which obviously didn't help anything with the belly, but it controlled my crohns and i'd feel great.

However, losing the weight is proving to be difficult as it means cutting out junk food. I'm trying to focus on eating Protein only so i can build muscle, but its hard to find meals, because when you google them it's all with sides of fruit and vegetables i can't eat as it will upset my crohns.

I usually eat things like, ham, chicken, turkey, etc, but the lack of variety gets boring after while.

I tried Protien Shakes from Whey Protein, and they didn't agree with my Crohns either, so i was hoping someone could recommend some meals i could eat to reduce fat and build muscle which do not include fibre?

Have you tried cooking and pureeing veggies? Boiled and pureed carrots, spinach, and squash are all tummy friendly for me when I'm in a flare.

Hi,

It's been a while since i've posted, but i'll update you on what's been going on.

Earlier this year I went on the Inflixmab infusion to deal with treatment for a fistula in my intestines, as the doctors didn't want me to go on steroids anymore as my bones were getting weaker.

One of the side effects of the steroids (obviously) is weight gain, I'm 16 stone and have gained a bit of a belly and want to lose some weight. My goal is to turn it in to muscle, and i'm working out doing both weight training and cardio right now but my problem is my diet though.

This fistula developed 5 years ago, and since then i've been advised to have a low-fibre diet. This wasn't a problem for me when i didn't mind the belly, but now I've got it, it's becoming a problem to get rid off.

My diet mainly consisted off takeaways and junk food, which obviously didn't help anything with the belly, but it controlled my crohns and i'd feel great.

However, losing the weight is proving to be difficult as it means cutting out junk food. I'm trying to focus on eating Protein only so i can build muscle, but its hard to find meals, because when you google them it's all with sides of fruit and vegetables i can't eat as it will upset my crohns.

I usually eat things like, ham, chicken, turkey, etc, but the lack of variety gets boring after while.

I tried Protein Shakes from Whey Protein, and they didn't agree with my Crohn's either, so I was hoping someone could recommend some meals i could eat to reduce fat and build muscle which do not include fibre?
Just my opinion here but reducing refined sugar and lactose and getting a lower total sugar from all sources is your best strategy. Some fiber are good for Crohn's while some are bad all depends on the person, but generally the good bacteria eat fiber and you'll want to feed them, but the bad also eat certain fibers so some foods may to agree with you. Learn about SCD diet and FODMAP diet to understand the concepts I'm talking about here. Whole grain wheat and oats I find my body likes while corn and rice may not be so well tolerated. other highly fermentable fibers like brussel sprouts, garlic, and onions seem to have bad affects, ill eat them 1x every 2 weeks but that's about it. IF you put any refined sugar in your protein shakes ill bet that's what upset things and less likely the whey protein, if you had never tested the ingredients seperately then it's hard to say what is causing what, you would need a fair test.

Hi,

I tried Protien Shakes from Whey Protein, and they didn't agree with my Crohns either, so i was hoping someone could recommend some meals i could eat to reduce fat and build muscle which do not include fibre?
-----------

I would advise you to try the ketogenic diet. the veggies it recommends are low Glyemic index anways, such as green beans. I do not know if all veggies and fruit bothers you, but for me, cruciferous veggies and high fructose fruits bother me, other than that I'm usually ok.

Protein shakes do not build muscle. It is a huge misconception. At most it maintains what you have and aids in protein synthesis, muscle will build the more its deformed aka through weight training. Additionally, if you are using protein shakes for extra protein intake as you are not consuming enough as per your body weight (aka 1 g/kg or 1 / lean lb) then they can be beneficial. As well, not all whey protein is made the same. Chances are the whey you used was a cheap blend (I could be wrong) but i have the same experience with cheap protein powders (aka costco or Walmart brands). when I switch to a better brand, such as Thriv Advanced, literally everything went away. That's my 2-cents!

all the best!