• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

low FODMAP

kiny

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2005.02506.x

Someone linked it to me, I thought I would include it if anyone follows this diet.

I really haven't read much about low FODMAP diets, but it has some similarities with EN in that they both remove fermentable carbohydrates. Low FODMAP simply restrics them, EN simply replaces them with maltodextrins.

I've long argued there is nothing special in EN, and that the only reason it leads to mucosal healing is because it reduces bacterial load. Even though one now sees the additon of TGFb in some EN, EN from the 90s are pretty much the same thing as EN in 2020, the only reasonable explanation why EN works so far has been its drastic reduction in bacterial load, which likely also happens by restricting FODMAP.

There's also a risk that with diets like low FODMAP you just add to already present dysbiosis, even though bacterial load is markedly decreased.

It's worth noting that several studies have shown that Crohn's disease patients are far more likely to be lactose and fructose intolerant than the general population.

Last edited:
I tried low FODMAP by the book and it didn't work for me.

I went to a nutritionist who suggested I try it again, so I logged every ingredient I consumed for 2 months in a program.

As in, I ate whole foods, or the same packaged foods, every day, because that's my life at this point, and put every ingredient into my app so I could just re-select that food when I ate it.

I got progressively worse, and my nutritionist insisted she wanted me to try to expand my diet.

Ma'am I don't even know what among my current diet is making me ill, and you expect me to add to it?

I don't think there's a single-solution diet for Crohn's. Mine is constantly changing, and is not one most crohn's patients could take. I consume excessive coffee, and mostly meat, sugar and oats.

I used to be basically immune to the effects of dairy, and no longer am.

I don't think there's a single-solution diet for Crohn's. Mine is constantly changing, and is not one most crohn's patients could take
I just had the same thought. It feels like I am slowly becoming allergic to what I eat, and need to change my diet. Few years back I did a food allergy test and at the top where all the food ingredients I consume the most. Go figure, how to deal with this.

I am new to this forum and hope it allows me to vent and compare stories with others within the world of Crohn's. Regarding the FODMAP diet, I have followed that regimen of eating for 4 years. It helped my symptoms at the time and I felt much better. I was dx with Crohn,s March of 2019 and I agree with Instant Coffee that this disease changes the rules of eating daily, if not hourly. Overall I stick with the FODMAP foods I know that do not bother me, but sometimes anything hitting the gut gets rejected. As in today...

My theory is that what you eat feeds bacteria that like that, and growth of it.

So whatever I eat most of, if it's prebiotic at all, it ends up being an issue.

I've had issues with grains, fats, meats, sugar, in rotation.

So at this point I think mixing intermittent fasting with a steady rotating diet may be best.

Fasting to allow the body to clear bacteria, followed by a feed window that has the most diverse rotation your diet currently allows.

So something like 8/16 fasting:

day 1 may be mostly vegetable / plant based, high-fiber.

Day 2 animal based lean meats and low fiber grains (rice and fish diet).

Day 3 grains, nuts and legumes

Day 4 mostly fruits with some protein

Day 5 high-fat

Or if your BMI isn't too low you could do 1 off 1 on fasting, or 2 off 3 on etc. and rotate based on that.

My aim is 8/16 with about 1-2, 24 hour fasts a month and rotating diet.