• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lucky

lucky

I feel lucky compared to some of the people on this forum. I was only diagnosed last year after a short course of symptoms and I'm in my 30's.

I all started with a bout of gastritis a year and a half ago that wouldn't shift and very quickily I became ill, I lost weight, was freezing, had a very tender tummy, night sweats but no real change in BM. I had a raised CRP (about 90) and had been in hospital with suspected appendicitis but sent home. Finally I had a CT which showed significant thickening of the terminal ileum and the duodenum and referred to a GI.

I was put on pentasa and went on holidays... That 1st night in spain I had extreme and I mean extreme dizziness, absolutely no energy, very nausous moderate pain in my tummy, lost about a stone and very high fever which progressively got worse. I made it home (not sure how) and sweated it out for another 2 days at home... big mistake... I finally saw my GI who took my bloods and sent me home. I was actually starting to feel better that day when he phoned me and told me to get up to hospital quick as my CRP was 280. I had a CT scan which confirmed a 4 cm abscess with perforated bowel which luckily for me had contained itself. I had a week of IV antibiotics and had every doc, surgeon, student probably the cleaner feel my stomach and it was decided that emergency surgery was not required but I was informed that 100% I would require surgery in the future. I totally denied this and the crohn's diagnosis due to my extensive medical knowledge :ylol: NOT!!

Anyway after 6 months on pred, a load of other tests all conclusive that it was crohn's and the surgeon constantly telling me I needed surgery to remove 1 ft of now fibrosed tissue (in other words it ain't ever going to heal with meds!!) I was ready to kill someone so it was time to come to terms with it and book in for surgery.

That was in Nov and I instantly felt better. I was able to come off all meds and I hope this continues. I do have good and bad days and a recent colonoscopy has shown a few ulcers have returned to the surgical site which I am waiting results for biopsies taken. I may be put on a maintenance med in the future depending on the results and it does coincide with a slight niggle in my RLQ, but I am trying to be healthy by exercising regularly and eating a good diet. I still let my hair down now and again as you've got to live which does effect me but all in all a success story :)

Wow, a perf'd bowel and you didn't need immediate surgery?? I thought that required surgery 100% of the time, right away. I had no idea it could heal on its own. Good for you, though! I'm glad you're doing fairly well now.

Thanks I don't quite understand it but was very thankful not to need the emergency surgery I think by 'contained' it means it had pocketed off and not leaking therefore not sceptic??? could be wrong though. I also didn't get the abscess drained which I thought was 100% quaranteed, it's amazing who you trust when your unwell I had a team of lovely and I mean lovely consultants so I just let them do what they needed to do and I was treated in one of the best hospitals here. I also was never in a hugh amount of pain that you would expect with a perforated bowel, even the radiologist told me I looked to well to have one... the benefits of fake tan I suppose ha ha

Just a quick update I got my biopsy results of the ulcers and they're all normal :) Just mild inflammation at the surgery site so no meds and no more appointments for 6 months so this really is a success story.