• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lymphonodular hyperplasia

Has anyone gotten "lymphonodular hyperplasia" noted in their child's pill cam report? My son's endoscopy and colonoscopy including biopsies came back normal just two months ago. This week's pill cam noted lymphonodular hyperplasia in the terminal ileum so it seems to me that he got it just from the past 2 months. The doctor said it's not a lot and it's normal for kids at his age to get them. This is the first time we encountered this term. Asking for opinions.

my little penguin

Staff member

my little penguin

Staff member
Symptoms of all patients (n = 25) including rectal bleeding in 19, chronic abdominal pain in 3, chronic diarrhea in 2, and chronic constipation in 1 improved with the elimination diet.
From paper

my little penguin

Staff member
LNH is a common finding during pediatric colonoscopy, but its clinical significance and etiologic factors are unclear. Previous studies have defined the association of LNH with food allergy, infections, and immunodeficiency syndromes in adults [3, 4, 5, 6]. Additionally, it has been shown to have an association with connective tissue diseases, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), juvenile idiopathic arthritis, lymphoma, and refractory constipation [3]. Interestingly, an association was shown between LNH and autism due to chronic constipation [7]. It can also be seen in normal individuals without any symptoms or may be related to nonspecific chronic abdominal symptoms [3, 8, 9].
From paper