• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

M/28/Crohn's - need girlfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry mods if this is not allowed. This is my story.

Hi everyone, my name is Kristan, and I got a life threatening Crohn's when I hit puberty.

Before puberty, I was raised by an abusive mother and neglectful father, in mostly social isolation at a sparsely populated retirement village. Before that, we travelled in a semi truck on my dad's long haul trucking job, hiding from the inspectors in the sleeping compartment. Eventually they crashed the truck and got serious injuries.

My parents were disease deniers and anti-psych, and tried to deny that I was sick at all, even spanking me repeatedly to get me to stop acting sick.

I was homeschooled until second grade, and I had to be taken out of fifth grade because I was too overwhelmed by fatigue and whole body pain. My parents also didn't believe in the public education system either.

In total, when we did live somewhere, we ended up moving more than 10 times before I was 18, never staying anywhere too long.

Mom was very submissive and self sacrificing to my dad, and passed on her feelings of helplessness onto me and my twin sister with frequent yelling and beatings. We lived in abject poverty, with dad juggling their debt on as many as 15 credit cards at once!

They taught me to fear other people because they are all demons. When I went to 2nd grade in public school, I was terrified for my life, and afraid that they would treat me like my parents treated me. Luckily I'm smart, good test taker, but I stayed almost silent usually, so no one ever suspected anything was wrong, also I only had one friend. I was always exhausted from the stress and anxiety, and always getting beatings for being lazy and not doing my chores and homework and being cold because they kept the house cold and I didn't have warm enough clothes.

Right after my Crohn's got diagnosed and I started to stabilize, my mom got sick and crazier than usual, and soon died of cancer. We knew she had it before I was diagnosed, and moved to be near her parents out in the country for her final days. I hate the country life, it's dirty and I got sick a lot, and I was allergic to everything, and forced to mow a huge field with a push mower even though I was malnourished and in constant pain.

I was doing horribly in middle school, but no one seemed to notice or care. Even when a teacher tried to repremand me in private for bad grades, after I told them what was wrong, they didn't do anything about it. After mom died we moved back into the city where I went to elementary, to finish off high school. I did my four years, like a convict, and had to quit. Life was getting more and more overwhelming, and my depression started getting extreme.

I almost died several times after I was diagnosed, in my opinion it was due to parental neglect. My dad was working all day every day at his favorite dead-end minimum wage job, too busy to notice anything. We never threw a ball in the front yard, he never taught me anything, never helped with homework. He only took me to the hospital when I couldn't go to school or bathe anymore and my infections were getting very gross. No one ever visited me at the hospital.

Wait, it gets better! When I turned 21, dad agreed to take me to DSHS, which is the state govt social services. I needed to accomplish something in life, I am extremely ambitious, so motivated that despite my extreme suffering, I pushed myself to work with DVR, which offers job services for disabled people. That was my first abysmal experience with how people view people like me, but it also helped me find a good friend who has a lot in common with me healthwise.

Well, anyways, back to puberty. I discovered that it is the most horrible excruciating experience that will ever happen to anyone in early life. I developed some adult needs that I had no possibility of filling, which multiplied my depression exponentially. Becoming an adult was far worse for me than the Crohn's, despite having been bedridden in constant pain and unable to bathe without assistance until I stabilized. Technically my Crohn's has never been in remission, and I'm on one of the most expensive medications for it, probably for the rest of my life. Luckily I haven't had to have any serious surgery.

So, that brings me to my current situation. I was done talking to quack therapists. I was ready to die. But I never give up. It was an odd feeling to be sure! I couldn't rely on the public health system to fix me, so I paid someone to connect me to an organization that set me up in an apartment place, where I now live. My joint pain totally vanished when I left home! All I have left to contend with is that nothing seems to work to renew my energy. I even tried working out for six months, on a very well designed exercise and diet plan, never skipping a day, to minimal results.

Finally, I get to the point of my post title. I have discovered that I can function normally, feel good, in fact feel great, if I have someone, preferably a woman around my age, to care about. I've spent so many years trying various things, and I've figured out a lot of remedies, but my main problem now is that I can't find anyone to love. I've tried dating sites, even paid for membership. I've gone on three first dates, that's it, that was before I turned 25. Now women expect a guy to have a job, a car, a good education, dating and romance experience from past relationships, all things I can't pursue on my own.

I feel hopeless. I can't kill myself. I can't give up. I can't get out. Please help!

I'm financially stable and relatively independent. I'm positive, I'm not a complainer or a hater. I don't need special care. I'm a kind and caring and generous gentleman. I just need a loving woman to have a serious (real life) relationship with. I don't expect perfection. I don't really know what to expect. I do know that I attract introverted sapiophiles with troubled pasts, and I fall easily for skinny girls with big eyes.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi there and welcome. Thank you for sharing your story and congratulation for keeping your head up.
Im not a fan of dating website. Im actually an anti-fan of these photo catalogs! If you cant find dates throughout your work environment, try to expend your social circles by engaging in community centers or sport or social activities. For instance yoga attracts a lot of women and classes have a great majority of women in them. That is something you could try. I find its easier to connect with people we see on a regular basis than to connect with photos and profile description on the internet. good luck!

Thanks. It's too late for me to get out, I'm too far gone.
All I can do is concentrate as hard as I can on basic self care tasks, and hope. I guess I'm too depressed to do anything else. I can't work, but I don't use it as an excuse not to pay. There is no work environment. I visit a friend once a week. No one I know wants to help, even when I tried offering $5000, they turned the money down. Internet is my only option now.

Is there anyone who can understand what I'm going through? Based on the feedback I've been getting for the last ten years, I don't think there is. I would do anything, as long as it doesn't involve spending energy for nothing, as I have no energy for that anymore. I've contacted all of the community resources in town, even churches won't help me. I thought about moving to another country, but it is too much of a risk for my health.

There are only two options left. Keep sinking in this quicksand that society has created for me until I die, or have some nice person (or people) extend real human help for me to find someone.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Is is mostly the depression that keep you home? or the crohn's or both?
have you considered taking anti-depressants? these can really help, but sometimes it takes a few different trials to find the right one. It can be a life changer for a lot of people including those who have had long term chronic depression and a difficult childhood with abusive parents. I know 2 people in this situation whose life have been totally saved and who now live happily. They will take anti-depressant medication for the rest of their life.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Is is mostly the depression that keep you home? or the crohn's or both?
have you considered taking anti-depressants? these can really help, but sometimes it takes a few different trials to find the right one. It can be a life changer for a lot of people including those who have had long term chronic depression and a difficult childhood with abusive parents. I know 2 people in this situation whose life have been totally saved and who now live happily. They will take anti-depressant medication for the rest of their life.
These are my questions too - you say it 'is too late' - as long as you are alive, it is NEVER too late.....I didn't find someone to spend a long time with until I was in my mid-30's.....

You say you are independent, financially secure.....is it the depression that is ruling your life right now? It may be hard to separate the illness from the person, but in my experience that is what needs to often be done - something to think about, the illness shouldn't define you - YOU should define the illness! Otherwise, 'it' wins.....

Sure, we all wish we didn't have this, felt better, could go out an party with our friends, eat what we want etc.....for some it is more of a struggle than for others. I feel pretty fortunate in my case, as I have avoided surgery and have had very good results the past 10 years with my medication treatment.

This forum is first and foremost a place to get support and information. Some of us here have even been able to make some new friends who really understand what our life is all about. Many others have been able to lead full lives while we do also have members who live a constant battle.

I'd like to welcome you to the forum and hope you are able to gain some valuable and useful insight, experiences and information while you are here.

Lisa

Thanks to the both of you for the supportive comments.

I realize this is a very very difficult thing for people to understand or believe. I feel like you didn't read what I wrote because it's all in there. I'll try to rephrase it.

Okay, first, I'll tell you how I got to this forum.
I went to a relationship advice forum and they said maybe I can find someone who understands what I'm going through if they understand living with Crohn's, so go to a support forum for Crohn's.

But I also have adult issues that make every day I am single a huge heartache. I've been this way in addition to the Crohn's since puberty. I have asked around with professionals, and have learned that it is normal for some people.

The depression is a -result- of my desperate attempt to claw my way out of the situation I'm in, not the cause. I barely accomplished in ten years what a regular teenager could do in less than a month.

If I had only had Crohn's, or only had this need for a relationship, I would have been fine, or maybe even if I had both but not the terrible childhood trauma, but I had all of them. Maybe I could have pushed through all three if more people had been willing to be my friends.

My Crohn's is under control now, and I also had severe anxiety and major depression, which I am treating very well with Zoloft. It's still not enough. I need a real person to really be there for me.

I think I stated this in my original message. I have done a number of social experiments on myself, as I am very interested in psychology, and I have found ONE treatment for my energy and motivation problem. That is finding someone who might be interested in having a serious relationship.

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Are you looking for a girlfriend with Crohn's? You said, and I quote: "and I have found ONE treatment for my energy and motivation problem. That is finding someone who might be interested in having a serious relationship."
Personally, I don't think that's a very good basis for any relationship. I agree with Lady Organic, you should try to get involved in social activities, and meet people that way. You sound like a very strong and intelligent person. There must be some hobbies or activities in your community that you could pursue, even evening classes in something, that would get you out and meeting people.
Personally, I'm happy to be a hermit.
:ghug:

Lady Organic

Staff member
I understand you really hold on to this goal of finding somebody, however we can feel clearly your despair. Honestly, it may be scary for a woman to meet a man who have such high intense focus. You may not be saying it to your dates, but they prolly can feel it. Gaining some independance from this thought that only a love partner will take you out of this difficult position, being well alone just by yourself and having social interactions with different people will be more attractive to the single women. The more you have social practice with a variety of people including friends, the more you will be equipped with relational tools to exude confidence to attract ,to take part and to maintain a love relationship in the long run.

You say : '' There are only two options left. Keep sinking in this quicksand that society has created for me until I die, or have some nice person (or people) extend real human help for me to find someone.'' or '' if more people had been willing to be my friends.''... I think we cant ''expect'' anything from people. We can only take and savor what they have to offer. Im starting to learn that in my own life, so i lower my expectations, i forgive more easily and forget a lot of things rapidly now in order to have better harmony with the people I care about. The more we have expectations from people, the more we risk being dissapointed and frustrated and start rejecting people or being rejected. Both scenario leads to social isolation which is not an ideal scenario. At the end of the day, we are on our own and sole creator and responsible of our social environment, so we have to make efforts and work it if we want a few people around.
I really feel you got to find a way to empower yourself and create your own life and take action. If you want to have friends you will have them. Believe it. If you feel nobody wants to be your friend, then you have to question yourself why: ''is there something I do or say that scare or push people away?'' brainstorm and find your solution that will lead you to a path of better social interactions. I really feel you would benefit from reconnecting with society. This would naturally open the path to the girlfriend after I believe. Forgive, forget, do not expect, go with an open mind not asking anything from people. Just be with a smile. You will be surprise how attractive that can be to people :)

Thanks for being understanding and supportive of me on this matter. I get extra energy when I feel that there's a chance that someone understands and might help me make progress on this journey.

@Tuff: I think it's great that you can be happy alone. That is just a part of who you are, and I mean no disrespect, but it has nothing to do with how other people are. You should know that I didn't start out trying to treat my low energy by looking for a relationship. The discovery that I can have more energy when I'm with someone special was just a happy coincidence of my dating experiences. Ha, I think anyone with less mental endurance for suffering would probably be dead, if that's what you meant by being strong.

@Lady Organic: I'm not sure, but I think you are starting to understand. I don't think I ever isolated myself, I was simply never a part of society in the first place. People tell me that I have good social skills, and that I seem to behave appropriately, and that I seem like a good and positive person. I know that, as a young child, I rejected everyone, because that's what I was taught to do. You say that I can't expect anything from people. It seems like you are saying that I can't expect to live much longer.

I've been trying to join social groups for years, but I simply don't have the energy. I've tried to find someone to help me go to those groups, but I haven't had any luck. Every time I walk the 30 minutes to visit my friend, I am afraid that I will have another health breakdown from exhaustion. My hope and depression have gotten worse since I met him, so now he gives me a ride home every week. He is respectful of my situation because we both have similar energy levels and have both gone through terrible life threatening events. He's able to work only because he didn't have the anti-social upbringing that I had, and he has supportive friends and family.

Lady Organic

Staff member
By expectation, I mean relying on people or waiting for them to take care of us or behaving or thinking the way we want. I belive we are in fact on our own and master of our adult life. We cant change the past but we can draw a better present and future one little step at a time. Im glad you have a friend and hopefully he can share and make circulate some energy with you. I find energy to be contagious, the bad or the good ones!
the 2 people I know (including a close relative) who are taking anti-depressant are now full of life and energy, but who used to be highly depressed, suicidal and lying in bed all day. I witnessed this with great distress back then. For one it took several attemps to find the right medication. Could you consider trying another brand of medication or adding another one and discuss this possibility with your doctor? What does your doctor think of your lack of energy? Just like for crohn's, it could be trials and errors with medication and there might be a medication that works even better for you and that would give you more energy.

The only problem with that theory is that I have had to rely on others for my entire life, and a relationship is my final chance to free myself from that reliance. My mother even avoided teaching me life skills so that I would always be dependent on her.

I don't like to attack other peoples world views, but I think your world view may conflict with the reality of my situation, making it difficult for you to accept what I'm going through.

I'm really not very social, despite the needs I've expressed. I have the energy to maintain a friendship with one person, if they are not also investing in the friendship. The type of people who understand me best, and can be respectful of my challenges, who I make friendships with, are the type who can't really reciprocate in any meaningful way. I really don't want to argue with anyone about the precise state of my situation, but people seem to always want to say I'm wrong about it. I assure you, I used standard scientific techniques to determine my limitations. I'm tired of being disrespected and marginalized, and having my needs swept under the rug.

You're right about energy being catching. People say that I exude positive energy, and make them feel happy when I'm around. Those people are also not available or not interested in me for a relationship, and not interested in giving me any assistance. Part of it may be that I really don't understand how to compel anyone to do anything for me unless I make it clear that I am desperate. I also have no idea how people are supposed to help each other in this way. I've luckily never made that mistake in my direct relationship pursuits.

Lady Organic

Staff member
yes indeed ultimately only you know what is and will be best for you. In the meantime we could only discuss and exchange views. Im going to wish you well on your journey to find peace and happiness with a loved one :)

Hello TTFS and others (it is such a long name!),

The moderators in their wisdom have allowed you to post this, so I am not commenting on the appropriateness or otherwise of your post, except my personal observations at the end. I make the following points:

TTFS: I have no words to condemn the actions of your parents in the past. On this count I empathize with you, and commiserate with you. I also extend my best wishes to you: may you achieve remission and may that last a lifetime.

However, your assertion (belief?) that your energy levels (what is the metric(s) of this variable/construct?) would increase with the covariate that you describe, is something I am not in agreement with. Please quote scientifically validated work to justify your assertion; otherwise I would regard this as naive belief.

You write "I used standard scientific techniques to determine my limitations." If you share with us these techniques that you employed it would be enlightening.

The phrase "exude positive energy" is not exactly part of the standard scientific lexicon, if I may point out.

I want to say that this forum is a place where patients with varying degrees of severity of a challenging disease visit and get succor from; they discuss treatments, diet, and employment so that they can pay their bills, including medical ones. There are even deaths, and we have lost some of our precious ones. My exhortation to all is to maintain the sanctity of this forum and see to it that frivolity and personal agenda are not allowed to ride over our common interests.

Regards

@Lady Organic: I agree, and thanks. I really do hope there is someone out there who would accept me in my condition. So far I have spent years asking around online, but no one has stepped forward, so I have to assume they're either not online, or they don't exist.

@smt: Oh please, spare me your theatrics. I confess, I'm just an amateur.
Have you ever heard of the Greater Good Science Center? There you will find all of the supporting research that you could ever want, I would assume.

I used the scientific method. I used some observational techniques borrowed from behavioral science, and self analysis from mainstream psychology. I keep my notes in my head because I'm not a proper scientist...
I think you know the scientific method, make a hypothesis, set up an experiment with a control, repeat experiment to determine reliability of data, etc.

The first incident was accidental. It will be forever burned into my mind. The conditions of the reaction are that romantic interests be expressed and returned in some way, specifically, long conversations about various interesting subjects, and eventually agreeing to meet.

The effects are sustained over the course of several weeks, and wear off about a week after the interaction is terminated. Within four days, functional levels increase from near zero activity to generally normal levels for a moderately active male in his early 20's. Depressive symptoms appear to be reduced or altogether eliminated. Memory and mental clarity improves, and pre-depressive interests return.
After termination of the experiment, long term severity of depressive symptoms seems to be slightly reduced, but continues to progress as expected. This reduction seems to correlate with the intensity, duration, and frequency of interaction during the experiment.

I would use the term experiment lightly, as is to be expected in immersive studies. I had the opportunity to conduct various control experiments, not in any overt way, but I ensured that all variables would qualify as "control" in that they involved similar behaviors and timescales, but did not involve the element of shared romantic interest.

The non-control experiment was repeated rather uniformly several times with almost identical results, with a slight difference in duration, with expected timeline variations observed.

TTFS,

Thanks for answering. Please note that I did not indulge in any "theatrics" - I merely tried to debate the relevance of this post on this forum, and I believe I have the right to do that. Kindly refrain from using such terms, as that goes against civilized behavior.

In your "experiment", would you be so kind as to clearly state the hypotheses and variables that you studied - I believe that is very important. Also, it seems that the sample was only one - please correct me if I am wrong. Is it possible to draw any valid conclusions from such an "experiment"? Also, in the absence of any valid peer reviewed confirmation, is it possible to accept any "finding"?

Regards and the very best

Hello TryingToFindSomeone

I completely agree with everything Lady Organic has written. And she writes so well.

Please don't let your search for a partner blind you from the security you can find in friendships. Good friends will be with you longer than the wrong partner - and good friends also need looking after and will appreciate your nurturing and caring. I am glad you have at least one closer friend who you see regularly and understands your situation. Not everyone has that.

I can understand at your age that you want a relationship. That is normal and you get messages about that from all angles. You would have to stop internet, TV, radio, shopping trips, going out, to not feel the pressure of being a 20-something single. I expect most singles feel that pressure to some extent.

So of course it is an expectation that having a partner is the answer to everything. I can understand it but I am afraid this intensity will make you more unhappy. Please dont expect a perfect relationship. They all have their ups and downs and both partners have to work at it, throwing a lot of love at someone does not mean that they will love you back.

Search yourself, there much be one hobby you can find that you enjoy, will not wear you out, that will open up your social life and bring you more friends and human interaction. I sing in the local community choir. Actually, come to think of it, choirs always need male voices. And a 30 minute walk sounds like a lot to me - have you thought about getting a bicycle?

Wishing you well.

@smt: sorry, maybe some other time, when I have the energy...
Not saying that I wouldn't love to collaborate with someone and take part in a more organized and formal study.

@Jennifer: Awesome, thanks! Such helpful and understanding and kind people on this forum just from my limited experiences here! The hope that I've been feeling since posting here has given me the energy to start doing my daily exercises again! I realize that this is not a dating site, please be patient and let me know if I over step my bounds.

@King of Orange: True, haha.
-I didn't start out looking for a serious relationship. I'm sorry to have come here at my lowest time in life, but that is how it is.
-The motivation to find someone is slowly extinguishing due to lack of energy as well, which makes me somewhat frantic that I really might be going to end up like a vegetable eventually. The only thing from your list that I do is internet anymore. My computer is next to my bed. The pressure to find someone comes purely from within myself.
-I don't expect anything. I've spent far too long hoping and not finding even the smallest of kindness from most people. I don't expect a perfect relationship, rather, I have trained for most of my life to be the perfect partner. Hard to believe? Believe it. I would never force my love onto someone who didn't accept me.
-Ha, well I walk slow so I don't stress myself too much. At peak stress, I have severe sensory sensitivity, so sorry, can't be in a choir or around noisy crowds right now. I tried a bicycle, the one I had was too big and I had several accidents, and traffic is bad, people are inconsiderate on the road, and the city rules say I have to ride in the road with cars.
-Thanks for the suggestions though, I get where you're coming from. Not everyone is as conscientious and methodical about life as I am, and your advice might be helpful to them.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I met my husband on a gaming forum and my sister met her husband on a music forum so if you have any other interests then you may want to branch out/broaden your search. :) After you get to know them more then you use Skype to do face to face chat and see how it goes from there. It's a newer way of dating rather than limiting yourself to just the people in your home town. My sister and I both live in California but my husband is from South Carolina and her's is from New York. They both moved to be with us (we both went to visit a few times in person first though). You may find someone who's willing to move near you some day.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Wow, my depression is lifting already. Seriously though, I usually have atypical causes for my problems. I was in such bad depression that I totally forgot about my sexual problem. I go into an altered state of mind, and if I ignore it, I have blackouts. Wow, how could I forget that? Oh yeah, I've been depressed for so many years... It kept my libido in check.

I'm sorry to bother you all. I thought it was about the Crohn's or childhood trauma, but it isn't. I'm a rape risk when I'm not depressed. I just have to go back into isolation and hope I can slowly shrivel up and die. Getting a job really isn't worth going to prison. I guess I will post on adult forums and hope to find someone with a similar condition.

Thanks for trying to help when no one else would. I am encouraged that it helped lift my depression a little bit, but when I'm depressed, it masks my sexual problem so I can at least zombie myself to the store to buy groceries. HAH I'm so ashamed of myself that I'd never have the courage to actually talk to someone over skype. I'm just a hopeless jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.