• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

M&M Charity BBQ gone?

This goes out to our Canadian members.

Does anyone know if this event has been discontinued? I searched online to get ready to volunteer and haven't seen any mention of the 2015 version. I almost consider this one a duty, so I must admit to a little concern that this activity is possibly no more.

Thanks.

hawkeye

Staff member
I haven't noticed anything advertised either. I did a bit of checking on the local chapters of Crohn's and Colitis Canada Facebook pages and haven't noticed anything either.

I haven't been into one of the stores in a couple of months so don't know if it is just an advertising thing or not.

Hmm that is concerning. I loved stopping by and supporting them for the last couple years. I know they don't do too much advertising and my local m and m has closed down so I'm not sure.

This discussion was confirmed at our last C&CC chapter meeting. I can tell you for sure the M&M BBQ day has been discontinued. Also M&M Meats will no longer be providing food for the Gutsy Walk. M&M Meats was sold, and the previous owner, who was a major supporter as his close friend had Crohn's no longer is owner/employee.

It was sad to see them not be part of it anymore. I looked forward to the BBQ day & volunteering. I hope Crohn's Colitis Canada finds another major donor. It will be a big whole to fill.

My local store changed owners a couple of years ago & the ONLY reason I continued to buy there was the support they gave to C&CC. I now won't be shopping there.

hawkeye

Staff member
This event raised over $20 million since it began. It will be a big hole to fill on the funding side.

Times change - I remember when I was first diagnosed one of the "big" fundraisers was the fruitcakes (later shortbreads as well) that they sold in November. That ran until the late 90's I think.

Hopefully C&CC will find something to generate some of the lost revenue.

Thanks for the info on this. Really disappointing to hear that it is done. I think I had over 10 days that I worked at them and enjoyed meeting a new crew of people every year who all had their own stories.