• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

M r i scan

m r i scan

mornin all,
just a little question having this m r i scan done on monday nite, and can anyone tell me if your whole body goes through this, with havin crohns have been told just the botom half goes through??this is for severe peri-anal discomfort doc reckons could be fistula formation due to the crohns, also got terrible joint pain ,just feelin bit rough and very low these last few days ,so if anyone can enlighten me over this im sure it would ease my mind .
hope all of you on here are keeping well.

many thanks
sandra x

I've had a few MRI scans and every occasion my whole body has gone into the scanner. Maybe some people do it differently and only put the bottom half through but in my experience the whole body goes through. I know on CT scans it would only be your abdomen that goes through the machine as such, but they tend to be a hell of a lot shorter in comparison to MRI scanners.

I've had a few MRI scans and every occasion my whole body has gone into the scanner. Maybe some people do it differently and only put the bottom half through but in my experience the whole body goes through. I know on CT scans it would only be your abdomen that goes through the machine as such, but they tend to be a hell of a lot shorter in comparison to MRI scanners.

thanks , i think have been told duff information, can you tell me r they that bad to have, as when in hospital lady in the next bed completely freaked out over having one ,so her feelings have sort of effected me, im clasutiphobic ,but i know i have to have this done,and do they put dye into you like they did with the ct scan, thanks for repyling ,have seen some of your post on here but never made contact with you, hope all is well with you and thanks again x

regards
sandra

All is well thanks :)

they dont necessarily inject you like with a ct scan, although depending on what they want to look at you may have to prep before hand, i.e the laxative stuff and then you can drink a solution to dye your bowel wall, and if they feel this isnt giving a good enough image they may inject you but it's unlikely.

If your claustrophobic I'll be honest, you may not exactly enjoy it. You lie on your back and are strapped in and then moved into the tunnel like machine, It's a bit noisy and may feel enclosed but it will be fine, You will have headphones on giving you instructions about breathing, and if your lucky you may get some music aswell!..

feet first whole body, there not horrible or painful, loud and cramped would be the best way to discribed it lol i had to drink loads of this fluid they gave me then they injected dye ( what is actually clear ) to light dark areas up, being clasutiphobic myself i just closed my eyes mnine only last 20minute give or take hope it goes well for u xx

Well hey, here's my experience of an mri! :D

They lie you down on a little bed thing, and you lay your arms above your head (Superman pose on your back). Then they squirt some dye in your arm (Not painful at all, promise) - and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. It's not unpleasant at all just a bit peculiar. Then the ring starts spinning and they read instructions out to you (E.g hold your breath for 5 seconds).

I'm not claustrophobic at all but it can come across as being a bit freaky. You don't feel ANYTHING when the scan goes over you all it does it makes noises and beeps :) You have nothing to worry about. It was over in around 5 minutes I'd say.

Hope this helps. You really do have nothing to worry about I promise! :)

Well hey, here's my experience of an mri! :D

They lie you down on a little bed thing, and you lay your arms above your head (Superman pose on your back). Then they squirt some dye in your arm (Not painful at all, promise) - and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. It's not unpleasant at all just a bit peculiar. Then the ring starts spinning and they read instructions out to you (E.g hold your breath for 5 seconds).

I'm not claustrophobic at all but it can come across as being a bit freaky. You don't feel ANYTHING when the scan goes over you all it does it makes noises and beeps :) You have nothing to worry about. It was over in around 5 minutes I'd say.

Hope this helps. You really do have nothing to worry about I promise! :)
thanks for the message feel lot better now thanks .hope all is well with you
regards
sandrax