• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Macrocytic Anaemia - test results

I have just got my latest blood results from my GP. He has asked me to see my GI as he is not sure whether the results are as a result of the 6MP or B12 levels. My B12 has gone up slightly to 194ng/l (140-682) but my Mean Cell Volume is up at 105FL (83.0-101.0) and Mean Cell Haemoglobin is up at 36.7pg (27.0-32.0) RBC is slightly low at 3.59 (3.8-5.8)

The only other thing showing as outside normal is GFR which is 80ml/min/1.73m2 (>=90) but I have very little understanding of what this means.

Everything else is within normal ranges which is good news!

I am seeing my GI next Tuesday - should I be pushing for B12 supplementation again?

Hi David I've been on the 6mp for about 14 weeks now. WBC is 6.7 (4.0-11.0) and platelets are 328 (140-400) so both fine.

Well I saw my GI who is still not worried about my B12 levels as they are low but within normal range. He thinks the tiredness and my face rash may be due to a side effect of the 6mp so he has advised me to halve the dose of that to 25mg per day and also the Pentasa to 2g per day.

The increased size of the blood cells is due to the 6mp, apparently GPs are not generally aware of this.

My GI symptoms are not too bad at the moment so fingers crossed this change will make me feel a bit better with regards to the tiredness and things will not get worse again in the belly department!

Catherine

My daughter b12 was never low enough for gp to recommend supplement. For 4 months ago he ageed that it couldn't hurt, sarah began to take 1000cgm per day.

Her b12 is now in the 600's, her hemoglobin is now the highest it been in 4 years. The gi says keep giving b12 it can't hurt.