• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Magnesium shortage

I am post op 6 weeks now, back n Aza, 100 mg(all I can tolerate pre-op and post -op)anyhow after my weekly bloods, found my Magnesium levels at around 4.way too low,they said, in fact it was giving me bad pins and needles,they asked if I had the. Twitches, I did,nt but they bought me back in hospital for Magnesium IV, this in turn bought my Pottasium back up, but it has not even been a week,and this weeks blood shows its dropped from 1.25(top up)back down to 6.i started to get pins and needles again yesterday, although my Pottasium they said is ok at 4.8 and my HB has now gone to 11.8 from 9.4.
I am trying to eat magnesium rich foods,but I think this is going to take a long time, Someone mentioned the magnesium Oil spay,saying 10 sprays a day,it's expensive, but I don't mind if it works, also I have been soaking my feet in Epsom Salts because someone mentioned this is also a booster.
My consultant will not put me on magnesium supplements asi am losing this mineral through my watery Diarrhoa,he said the Mag spplements make the Diarrhoa worse, so a no no in that direction.Looks as though I may have to go back in again over next few days again to be topped up,They have given me Loperamide at the moment to slow my bowel up,Cannot tolerate Questran, but they are trying to get me funding for a drug called colestipol I think it is called,which the consultant thinks may help the situation, Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions regarding Magnesium oil or Epsom Salts as an alternative. thanks very much.

Yes, Magnesium oxide will have a laxative effect. But, Mag citrate and other forms, not so much as they are more easily absorbed.

Dan

Hey Trish, so sorry you're going through all this and /I hope you feel better soon.

I'm not too knowledgable on this but my doc always tells me oral meds/supplements aren't good for crohnies.

Thanks or your replies, am waiting to seeifi have to go ack in today to be topped up,I have got magnesium oil from Holland And Barratt and also Epsom Salts to soak in, Not so sure this wll help as its so low, but can only try.

Trish