• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Major Back Pain

For the last week I have had MAJOR lower back pain and was not sure if it was related to my crohns at all. I do not think it is due to any heavy lifting or turning the wrong way. I seemed to come on all of a sudden and if only getting worse every day. Before I bother my GI or PC again I was hoping to get your opinion as to if any of you have had lower back issues due to the disease.

hmmm me too. Last night i when i laid down i was kinda stuck and it even hurt my back to breathe. Only lasts 5 mins or so tho. but i also get lower back pain quite often which comes on all of a sudden now and again. not sure if its related or not either. I havent twisted or lifted heavy objects was just thinking it was due to carrying babies. But iv been getting it ever since i went in to hospital 4/5 week ago.

I get it from time to time. I've noticed if my stomach is bloated my back will usually hurt as well.

Pen said:
Hi Paula I too get it from time to time, sometimes from Crohns (one time couldnt even get out of bed to get something for pain) and other were Kidney stones or infections. If it is lower right or left or both could be stones, Crohns are common. where is your pain?

not sure i like the sound of that! my mum had stones. Another thing im gonna ignore cos i think its regular back ache!

I've always had back pain when I have a bad bout of crohns.
It's always seen by my doctors as a normal side effect.
With me, it feels like muscle spasm in my mid back, and a dull pain in my lower back.

Mine is just an really bad aching pain right in the middle at the bottim of my back. If I do not move it tends to not hurt but if I lean over or twist It is a sharp shooting pain. The dr took an xray to make sure it was muscular and nothing more but I am still in a lot of pain and the vicoden she gave me and muscle relaxers do nothing!! I will hopefully hear something today.

I believe the lower back pain I get sometimes is caused by dehydration brought on by very frequent bathroom trips. If I am able to keep hydrated the pain goes away.

Hey Paulah I had on and off back pain since about Christmas last year and up until August I thought it was because of bad body mechanics while lifting at work. So I started just being more careful but i kept on getting the pain. Well in August I bend down to put on my pants put the first leg through and felt a little tingle of pain didnt think nothing of it but when I put the other leg through I got a horrible pain that brought me to my knees. I went to my DR the next day cause I couldnt even get up from a sitting position on my own the DR diagnosed me with Ankylosis Spondylitis (basically arthritis of the spine) and he said it was caused by th Crohns dont wanna scare you but something to look into.

Pneumonia or kidney problems can cause back pain. Might be a good idea to have a doctor check you out, just in case.

Probably something not that serious but who knows?

Dan

WOW...you guys are great. With muscle relaxers and some tlc it seems to have gone away. There are times when I move a wierd way and I feel it again but if I relax for a minute it goes away. I have yet another GI apt this month so I will ask him also just to cover all bases. Thank a lot everyone