• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Maker's Diet

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am interested in what people think about the maker's diet. Before I posted this thread I searched the forum and I found a thread about this subject and it was nothing but a few people arguing. I'm looking for people that have tried this diet and what kind of results they experienced. Any thoughts?

brieyourbest

Cimzia Forum Monitor
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am interested in what people think about the maker's diet. Before I posted this thread I searched the forum and I found a thread about this subject and it was nothing but a few people arguing. I'm looking for people that have tried this diet and what kind of results they experienced. Any thoughts?
Well, although I haven't tried it yet. Mr. Rubin came past my church a few years ago and spoke on it... He even gave out free books.

I was recently diagnosed and I have made the decision to get off of all medications so I will be trying the Maker's Diet, starting today... So I will keep you posted.

LOSTnut

Poopy
After I was initially diagnosed I was given the book and tried some of the recipies that appealed to me with good success.

On the other hand, I was always more a "natural" kind of person for example I only use real, sweet (unsalted) butter for cooking and as a spread.

However, from an acquaintance I know that they tried it and she and her family were completely sold on it, although none had a history of Crohn's. Her daughter is a diabetic and she said the improvements were astonishing as well as the leveling out of the weight for all the family members. She said whoever needed to lose weight lost it and her daughter was able to gain weight.

Personally, I was a little critical of the rest of the book and Mr. Rubin lost me on several things like eating "unclean" food like shrimp and not using regular deodorant or toothpaste. I just thought that was a little far fetched, considering the life expectancy of today vs. biblical times.

My issue with the Maker's Diet is with the author Jordan Rubin. His story of his journey with Crohn's Disease is interesting, but I am highly skeptical of him controlling such a near-death, severe case of Crohn's with just diet. I did the kefir thing and followed many of his other diet recommendations in his "Guts to Glory" Program book.

It's been quite some time since I read the book, but I remember he recommends the Garden of Life products constantly... the company which he founded. At times, it felt like I was reading some goofy propaganda.

I spent about $120 on his recommended supplements from the health food store, like his "HSOs" which are dirt microbes.

My opinion? He's a nutjob that's selling false hope to people and growing a multi-million dollar supplements business while he's at it. I haven't heard a single person say---other than Jordan Rubin himself---that these products cured them of Crohn's, ESPECIALLY a Crohn's case as severe as the one he claims to have had (near death)

My guess? He got a Remicade injection and some corticosteroids and doesn't want to tell us that it was the medications that cured him--- not his looney diet.

I posted this thread asking a similar question to yours and these were the responses: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=15686

I started out being a little apprehensive with traditional medications... but after finding Remicade, im happy to be in full remission with no side effects.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you can control Crohns with just diet, and if the Maker's Diet works for you--- awesome!

Thanks for your response Piatchi. I have abandoned the diet after 4 days. No sugar, no wheat flower, no dairy....that is tough. I've got to be really bad before I can stick to a regiment like that. I'm not sure about his motive for writing the book. Bottom line is that I can't hang with that kind of diet. I'm doing ok right now after surgery in March so I'm just going to alter my diet some and cut out some of the refined sugars and cut back on the dairy and red meat. We'll see what happens. Thanks!

That is definately a very rough diet to follow if you're American... no sugar/wheat/dairy encompasses a massive part of what you see in the store. Then you have your own tastes and preferences that knock out another portion of that.

Like you, I do try to cut back on all of those things though... especially sugar. I buy into the theory that sugar furthers inflammation in the body.

How severe is your Crohn's at this time? What meds, if any, are you on?

Hi,
I think if you can follow it, it works great. I bought the Garden of life vitamins, and I have to say that I think that if I did not take them I would be EXTREMELY sick. I work with children and they have made my immune system awesome. Good luck :) Keep us posted on your journey.

Piatchi, I'm not on any medication now except for Prilosec. And I'm only taking that because of the surgery I had. In March my small intestine (the duodedum) was almost completly closed due to inflamation/scar tissue. The surgery I had was basically a bypass where they took a loop of good intestine and sewed it into my stomach in order to create anothe avenue for food to go down. The Crohn's is still there in the duodenum and, in my opinion, other parts of my intestine. Right now I'm ok, but next week could be another story.

Diagnosed with crohns last march of 2010 In remission and have been for three months on NO medication whatsoever Was down to 86 pounds three months ago but refused to go with doctors advice of prednisone and humira and started the makers diet as well as the Garden of Life probiotic capsules and thank the Lord I am doing great. I firmly believe these capsules put me back on track as well as sticking to this diet. It is more expensive and very difficult trying to stay on track but when it comes to health it is all worth it. Definitely stay away from processed food ESPECIALLY sugar and white flours it is the enemy. I am also on a gluten free diet which has also helped me a great deal :) Rubin's advice definitely gave me my life back and I hope others can really try it God Bless :)

Diagnosed with crohns last march of 2010 In remission and have been for three months on NO medication whatsoever Was down to 86 pounds three months ago but refused to go with doctors advice of prednisone and humira and started the makers diet as well as the Garden of Life probiotic capsules and thank the Lord I am doing great. I firmly believe these capsules put me back on track as well as sticking to this diet. It is more expensive and very difficult trying to stay on track but when it comes to health it is all worth it. Definitely stay away from processed food ESPECIALLY sugar and white flours it is the enemy. I am also on a gluten free diet which has also helped me a great deal :) Rubin's advice definitely gave me my life back and I hope others can really try it God Bless :)
Ummm. The same thing happened to me as well and the probiotics seemed to help too. It is VERY expensive but it does work... for me at least. I would at least try it. I'm not on any meds either and had a very severe case. It took about 2 years to recover from surgery and was able to stop the medications. Now my doctor just monitors me. If I do eat something I'm not supposed too. I get sick again. Go figure.

-Mary

At Mary- Same here I definitely have to keep on eye on everything I eat Glad to hear you are having success with the diet as well :)

So what if he is making money off supplements and books about his experience? What are the pharmaceutical companies, charity organizations? Good for him. Just because he mentions God, everyone suddenly becomes skeptical. I have been on the SCD along with incorporating some of his principles. No meds or surgery. For example, i can drink a whole glass of raw grass fed milk and have no problems whatsoever. When I drink conventional milk it's game over for me and the Lactose intolerance kicks in.

"A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker, a raving lunatic. --Dresden James