• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Makers

Thats cool. I have heard that it helps people feel better. But do not believe all of the mumbo jumbo that Rubin says in there. He says he is completely cured of his Crohn's but somehow that just seems a little weird because if it worked everyone would be doing it. The basic concept is really good because back in the day and in the Western world, ie. Africa some of Asia, CD is basically non existent. So if you uptake the challenge it will most likely make you feel better Just do not believe the guy one hundred percent. He was already sued for misleading people.

Good luck, sorry but I just do not like that guy

S

scottishgirl

hmm i dont like him either. dunno if the diet would help either

K

Kossy

I don't think it's a bad idea to try new things such as this diet. But I do have a problem with the author Rubin. A few years ago he was exposed for being a fake saying the cure for crohns was snake oil, or urine, or something crazy like that.
But if you try it and it works for you all the best. But it's a really sticked diet that is pretty hard to fallow, so I've heard.

check out the zone diet - apparently that is supposed to balance out hormones and decrease inflammation. which is what we need. from the brief discription of the link, it sounds sort of similar.

If I was to follow any type of diet I would just try to eat everything in moderation. I have found that I have never felt as healthy doing anything else. I just make sure that I get really good things. Such as true organic fruits and vegetables. This is because companies can label foods as organic when it could have a hormone in it from scientists genetically engineering the produce. They could make the produce taste bad to the insects so they do not eat it. Yuk. Meats and other things I just get the best cuts of meat my parents can afford. That is the best way to do things in my opinion. Sorry for that.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
You can purchase the Makers Diet on Amazon, or read some more reviews about it there. ($8 seems pretty afordable!)

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=crohnsforum-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=1591856213&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000ff&bc1=000000&bg1=ffffff&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

If you have not already seen this thread please also look at it:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=778&p=12065#post12065

K

Kate

im not into diet being the final cure but if it makes you feel better then go for it but i wouldnt rely on just that like my friend does and shes getting sicker and sicker but she wont see a dr so her problem

J

Jonny

I have the Makers book there some good tips and ideas that make sense in there to help your health.

S

Stuffette

makers

I got the book the other day on Amazon (used for $1.97) and I can't wait to try this diet. It makes sense to me. All the things Rubin says to avoid, are things that upset my stomach and the recipes look really good. (not boring at all!)

I am weirded out by the daily homeostatic soil organisms though. I am not sure if I am going to try that.

They are basically a type of probiotic. I would just take bee propolis and acidopholous.

Or go outside and walk in the woods. Since the HSO's are outside you could just garden be close to the dirt or something.

Best wishes

S

Stuffette

Jeff D. said:
They are basically a type of probiotic. I would just take bee propolis and acidopholous.

Or go outside and walk in the woods. Since the HSO's are outside you could just garden be close to the dirt or something.

Best wishes
That really helps? I went hiking in the woods yesterday with my daughter because I read that helps. Another excuse to work out outside instead of in a boring gym.

Kev

I think, that like most things in life, you have to experiment and pick & choose what's best for you. Some aspects of Mr Waelder's writings in his blog make sense to me. For instance, carbonated beverages (soda pop, pop, whatever) are just not good for a body, whether you are healthy or not. (assuming the basic difference between an occasional softdrink Vs being a major portion of your diet). Essentially its just an addictive combination of water, artificial flavours, artificial colors, lots of sugar, even caffeine. I agree (and who wouldn't) that fish can be a very healthy way to get protein, and it can also provide essential vitamins & omega 3, esp. cold water fish.... (halibut & cod just to name a few). However, some people with IBD can not tolerate higher levels of fat found in some fish (so be careful what you choose & how you cook it). Think the same can be said about certain pork products. I love (& miss) bacon and eggs for breakfast... but instead of fatty old bacon, I've switched to very lean ham and find it more than acceptable as a compromise, it's really very tasty (& healthy). I FIRMLY believe anyone would experience a benefit in reducing their intake of cow milk (whether you've have IBD or not, some studies indicate that humans were not designed to consume cow's milk the way we do... our daily dairy requirements not withstanding... i.e. we need our daily minimum intake, but should look at other or more beneficial means of getting it... yogurt, hard cheese, milk substitutes, etc..) I was under the impression that goats milk had lower levels of lactose, apparently that's a prevalent common misconception. I use a milk product that does not contain lactose and it works for me, whereas cow's milk (my uncle was a dairy farmer, we were all raised on it) has all my adult life presented me with problems. Even if you have no apparent issues
with lactose, what does your doctor/nutritionist tell you about fat content? Maybe a lower fat content milk would be beneficial. I dunno why fat content affects us if we have certain types of IBD, or how. But regardless of whether you have IBD, its
commonly accepted that lowering your fat intake has tremendous health benefits.
The canned tuna I eat is packed in water Vs oil, no sardines or kippers for me, and
I use only skinless/boneless chicken OR extremely low fat cuts of meat. I boil or broil... (you would be amazed/possibly disgusted by how much fat comes out of a boiled piece of chicken). And, not wanting to catch any nasty bugs in my currently weakened state, I follow proper guidelines in the preparation and cooking of food.
Breads, grains, etc. Fibre is very beneficial to the whole digestive process if you're
healthy... that's why manufacturers are loading everything up with fibre where it never was before. However, it you intestines are ulcerated & bleeding, fibre is a hard to digest substance... It's no longer just helping to grind up other food in the intestinal tract, it can also be grinding up you. Of all of the changes that I've been
advised to make to my diet, this one hurts the most. Not only because I love (and
still do) really hearty, multigrain breads loaded with fibre, but because finding food
items that are low(er) in fibre for when I flare is now a freaking challenge. Seems all the manufacturers out there jumped on the fibre bandwagon without taking in to consideration that for many people, fibre isn't always the best choice diet wise.
Cooking oil... I used teflon coated pans IF I have to fry/stir fry, and use as little of a canola or safflower oil, even olive oil as possible.. A pump spayer, canned spray, or even a pasty brush is helpful in keeping oil qty. to a minimum. non-saturated is
the way to go, (check the levels in other foods you eat if listed) AND I would watch for other potential issues with using coconut or palm oils (oil products can & do go rancid). In moderation any poly-unsaturated oil product should be acceptable, but
this is an individual thing.. If you can tolerate good ole fish & chips deepfried in a hot pot of grease, God Bless. Just saying that,... Hey, we've got IBD. Do we want
to add to our bodies burden by not trying to watch what we're eating. I think not!

S

Skinsfan1229

Well Ive read both books by jordan rubin, both are actually good, some of it makes sense.

I have been eating more organically and taking probiotcs and digest enzymes since reading this book and have noticed a huge difference.

Man, I'm a postin fool right about now... here's my take if you are interested. I read the Maker's diet, and I'm proud to say that I am a born again Christian as well... but I still think that diet is anecdotal at best and hooey at worst. Lots of reasons... yes, a lot of what the diet entails makes sense , and their are some good recipes although I think it is impossible for the average person to follow that diet, much less afford it. And it is never a bad idea to pay very close attention to what you put into your body and try to be as healthy and active as you can, but I believe we have a genetic disease... we did not poison ourselves because we drank cows milk or ate wheat or God forbid ate a cheeseburger from McDonald's every once in a while. It just happened, and I pray everyday that God has a purpose for me even with this stupid disease. But I, personally have come to a peace with my diet instead of freaking out and being in bondage to the food I eat. Basically, I try to eat sensibly, like anyone would...healthy, but not overboard. I pray over my food and as for me, I know God is not letting me purposefully poison myself. I listen to my doctors, trusting that they have the latest knowledge of the medications they are prescribing me and hope for the best. Besides, what was the average life span of a person in Old Testament times? I mean post flood... it dropped rapidly to not much more than 30 or 40 years old... they may not of had IBD but they sure didn't live long either : )