• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Managing Crohn's with diet and exercise only

Hello, I was diagnosed with a form of Crohn's call terminal ileitis about 7 years ago. I didn't care for the potions the doctors offered: taking drugs with dreadful side-effects for the rest of my life, and so decided to find my own solution.

After doing lots of reading on autoimmune diseases and nutrition I settled on a mostly vegan diet with vigorous exercise. The only symptom I have now is having to use the bathroom 2-3 times a day with no diarrhea or discomfort.

Why vegan: The quality of our meats (in America) are appalling. The animals are pumped full of hormones and antibiotics, genetically modified to grow bigger faster, and are raised in filthy conditions. How can we expect to be healthy consuming the flesh of diseased creatures?

I do eat organic meat in moderation. About 3 to 4 table spoons worth a day if at all. I use the meat as a flavoring agent in soup and vegetable dish.

Not being made of stone I do eat unhealthy foods like pizza, burgers, fried chicken once every two weeks to once a month as a treat. The disease come roaring back soon as I over-indulge.

Animal protein and fat causes constipation, and I find that triggers relapse. All that waste and bacteria trapped in out sensitive digestive system makes the body rebel, hence the cramping and diarrhea. Whenever I use the bathroom less that twice a day I become concern and go on a strict vegan diet to clean out the system.

Avoid germy foods: I was sick for 2 weeks eating cherry tomatoes that wasn't washed properly. Most produce use the waste of aforementioned diseased livestock as fertilizers, so I avoid eating raw veges. For fruits eaten with skin on, soak them in salt water first or scrub them with salt. Stuff like oranges and melons I scrub with soap and water.

Avoid brown rice: they recently found arsenic in U.S. grown brown rice. Turns out they feed arsenic to livestock (who knows why) and use their waste to fertilize, contaminating the soil.

Exercise:

I understand it sounds counter-intuitive when you're weak and malnourished, but I find that exercise is the only way I can stop the diarrhea without drugs.

A routine of 20 to 30 minutes a day, five days a week keeps my Crohn's in check. There's no need to join a gym, google the vast amounts of routines you can do right at home, often with no equipment at all. I exercise twice a day in 10-15 minute sessions. This helps my body recover faster than doing one long workout, and I can't use the lack of time as an excuse for not performing.

I find that doing only aerobics or only strength training doesn't help. I have to do both to keep the disease in remission. As soon a I become lazy I get sick again.

I'm not a doctor, just someone who has been living with the disease for more than 20 years and has been managing it without drugs for the past 7 years. The years before that I was misdiagnosed with an anxiety problem and didn't even know I had Crohn's. I suffered with the illness for more than a decade thinking it was all mental.

I figure to share my experience just in case someone else find it useful. Feel free to post or PM me any questions. I'd be glad to help you if I can.

Artisan105

Yondaime
I totally agree with you on the exercise. :] It does help with keeping your GI track functioning normally.

I eat mostly wholesome foods with meats from local farms. Yea the stress, living conditions, and drugs the animals are exposed to in the US is not even funny. Try your best to stay away from fast food or processed foods. I hate it when I go to my friends house for a football party and all they have is beer and spicy chicken wings. I just bring my own stuff and share. My friends don't mind baked asparagus with shrimp gumbo( made plain + tasty) I bring to the party. They think I am a health food junkie but I don't care because I can be healthy and normal around them.

@Artisan105: Why not just tell your friends about your condition? I imagine they'll be more accommodating if they knew. You're right about the fast food--I only live dangerously once in a while.

Be mindful where the shrimp comes from. I recently read that most imported shrimps are borderline toxic and the FDA can't be bothered to test them.

I applaud your efforts and completely agree that a healthy diet and exercise are important. As someone very new to Crohn's, forgive my ignorance, but does this just help with your symptoms or has your underlying inflammation gone away as well?

Artisan105

Yondaime
@Artisan105: Why not just tell your friends about your condition? I imagine they'll be more accommodating if they knew. You're right about the fast food--I only live dangerously once in a while.

Be mindful where the shrimp comes from. I recently read that most imported shrimps are borderline toxic and the FDA can't be bothered to test them.
My close friends all know but not everyone there is my close friend. You are right, my real friends they cook food by researching on what is healthy for me. When they do this, I am moved to tears sometimes because they put in the time and energy to help me. Well for my other friends, they know but they just love pizza and spicy chicken wings on football sundays. :] I am thankful to all my friends.

Artisan105

Yondaime
I applaud your efforts and completely agree that a healthy diet and exercise are important. As someone very new to Crohn's, forgive my ignorance, but does this just help with your symptoms or has your underlying inflammation gone away as well?
Exercise really helps with some of the symptoms like gas-pressure, pain, and better formed stools.

I don't know about the inflammation part, do you use asacol or pentasa? They help with the inflammation and also the hard-drugs like remicade or imuran or 6-mp is used to also control inflammation. Hope this helped.

lol its ok if you are new to Crohn's. lol once you have it you have it. You're a part of the club. haha

Exercise really helps with some of the symptoms like gas-pressure, pain, and better formed stools.

I don't know about the inflammation part, do you use asacol or pentasa? They help with the inflammation and also the hard-drugs like remicade or imuran or 6-mp is used to also control inflammation. Hope this helped.

lol its ok if you are new to Crohn's. lol once you have it you have it. You're a part of the club. haha
Thanks for answering. I am actually not on any medication as of yet. I go back to the Dr in a week and should find out the plan of action then. The reason I was asking was because I had a colonoscopy a year ago and my Dr found inflammation in my TI and the biopsy came back Crohn's. Because I didn't really have any symptoms at the time and didn't realize how serious Crohn's could be, I assumed I could keep it in check w/ lifestyle changes and I didn't follow up with the Doctor. Needless to say, my healthy vegan diet and increased exercise did not work and I have since followed up w/ the Dr for more tests which confirmed the Crohn's and now and I'm unsure of how he will choose to proceed. I know diet & exercise can only help but was unclear if it was enough to induce remission or if it was more about symptom management.

Artisan105

Yondaime
The thing with our disease is that you need medical attention when there is clear signs of flare up or inflammation. A healthy lifestyle- food, exercise, and a stress free environment only helps to maintain remission.

Yea talk to your doctor and figure out a battle plan. Make sure to tell your doctor your symptoms clearly.

I hope you feel better soon. :]

The thing with our disease is that you need medical attention when there is clear signs of flare up or inflammation. A healthy lifestyle- food, exercise, and a stress free environment only helps to maintain remission.

Yea talk to your doctor and figure out a battle plan. Make sure to tell your doctor your symptoms clearly.

I hope you feel better soon. :]
Needing medical attention and medicine are two completely different things. You might not always be able to control a flare but you can help control the intensity of the flare by recognizing what your body needs.

I'd like to know more about the exercise that you do xvee.

@ bookchick: I haven't checked with the doctor at all about inflammation cos I just don't trust them after being misdiagnosed and having to suffer for more than a decade thinking that I had anxiety problems. I don't have trouble unless I over-indulge in unhealthy foods or consume something with too much germs. I can't even drink tap water without getting ill.

But if you find that diet and exercise aren't enough maybe you do need meds to get things under control first. Also, vegan doesn't always equal healthy. I've been to vegan restaurants where half the menu is deep-fried stuff. Try to stay away from things like palm oil and processed organic foods. Avoid corn that is not labelled organic cos they're likely genetically modified to make its own pesticide designed to attack the intestines of insects. Guess what happens when we consume that stuff?

Two of the worst bouts of illness I ever had came from fruits, one from dirty cherry tomatoes, the other from an over-ripe persimmon. We need to be very careful about the quality of our food even while eating healthy.

@Quackers: Exercises routine this week.

Monday: 80 push-ups. 50 in the morning, 30 in the evening. 400 jump rope in sets of 200, resting a minute between sets. 25 leg squats in the evening. 60 reps of abs exercise--I don't know what it's called but you get into push up position, bend one leg so the knee is positioned below the chest, move leg back to original position and do the same with the other leg. I can't do sit-ups cos I get cramps and this is a nice alternative for building core strength.

Tuesday: set of 10 curls, 10 dead lifts, and pulls with twenty-pound dumbbell. 400 jumping jacks. 60 reps of ads exercise. Jogging in place for 400 reps in the evening. 20 reps shoulder exercise with 10 pound weights.

Wednesday is rest day.

Thursday: 400 rep jump rope. 2 sets of 10 rep bench press with 70 pounds. 60 abs exercise. 25 squats in the evening. Shadowbox holding ten pound weights.

Friday: 400 jumping jacks. 2 sets of 15 reps of butterfly with 25 pound weights. 60 abs.
Shoulder exercise with 10 pound weights in the evening. 25 squats.

Saturday: bicep curls and rowing with 75 pounds on weight machine. 400 jump rope. 60 abs. Walking 8 blocks to the supermarket in the evening and carry about 10 to 15 pounds of groceries home instead of using car.

Sunday is rest again.

Custom create a routine that works with your schedule and environment. If you're not used to exercise, go slow to build strength and stamina. Variety is also important cos the body get used to the same motions and the exercise becomes less effective.

Artisan105

Yondaime
Wow Vee you work out a lot! Keep at it!

My workout is:

Mon: Insanity Workout 40min.

Tues: Basketball w/Friends.

Wednesday: Rest

Thurs: Insanity Workout 40min.

Friday: Basketball

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Basketball at Church.

:]

I do workout a lot. Slacking off makes me sick so there's good motivation. I watched infomercials for Insanity, looks pretty intense and doesn't require equipment.

Artisan105

Yondaime
You can try it out by going to Youtube and following some of the people :] They have short 10-20 min clips of them working out to the program. On the DVD its actually 40 min in total for each workout :] but you can pause the dvd and rest, drink water, or just faint like I did after the first day lol.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
@ bookchick: I haven't checked with the doctor at all about inflammation cos I just don't trust them after being misdiagnosed and having to suffer for more than a decade thinking that I had anxiety problems. I don't have trouble unless I over-indulge in unhealthy foods or consume something with too much germs. I can't even drink tap water without getting ill.
Its important to stay on top of Crohn's by having regular testing done. Many people have few to no symptoms before they find themselves waiting for a resection. Even mild chronic inflammation builds up scar tissue over time. Scar tissue creates a narrowing/stricture which can lead to a blockage which can be life threatening.

If you're not in remission having regular testing like a colonoscopy etc once a year can be very beneficial not to mention they can screen for colon cancer as people with Crohn's are at a greater risk of getting it. If you are in remission then you can have testing done every 3-5 years.

Blood work should become routine to check for inflammation etc. At the very least every 6 months (if you were on medication then blood work would be more frequent).

I understand the desire to not go on medication and eating healthy and exercising is a wonderful thing but its important to accept that you have a disease with no cure and need regular testing done to make sure that you are doing well. We cannot see what's happening on the inside and cannot base our health off of symptoms alone.

If you do not like your current/past GI then please find another one. Not all will try to force medication but a GI is needed for regular testing.

Hi xvee,

I am relatively new to crohns having been diagnosed 4ish years ago. Like wise in my terminal ileum.

I have, 8 months ago, and with limited support from my doctors, come off of the azathioprine that I have been prescribed.

I have changed my diet and lifestyle and now eat 'clean' and I no longer eat grains as I have identified these as my dietary trigger.

I have not smoked for 12 months and I consume much less alcohol.

I exercise daily and have so far have had no symptoms that I could attribute to a flare.

I am really interested to learn more about managing the condition drug free, any symptoms/ indicators that may be a precursor to a flare and any general advice that you have to impart.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.

Steph xxx

Hi Steph, glad to hear you're doing well. Might I suggest you give up alcohol completely since I've read numerous times that it can be a source of irritation to sensitive bowls. You've already done the tough thing by quitting cigarettes, might as well go all out.

Have you replaced grains with other sources of carb like beans, sweet potatoes, etc? Since the brain does need carb to function proper. Maybe formulate a diet plan with your doctor? Let him/her know what you can't eat and come up with appropriate substitutions.

The best indicator that I might be in trouble is constipation. When waste and toxicity builds up is when I am prone to relapse. That's when I eat vegan for a stretch of days until things return to normal.

Last week I read that dry spices are often contaminated with salmonella because they're dried on contaminated ground and birds flying over poop on them. Something simple like black pepper has become a source of food poison. It is recommended that spices need to be cooked now even for healthy people. So we need to be vigilant about germy foods. Try to avoid any food that is cold or uncooked.

Read recently also that tomatoes are contaminated with salmonella as well from chicken dropping used as fertilizer. The bacteria travels up the root system and actually lives in the fruits themselves so a good washing doesn't help. They need to be cooked.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'd be happy to help if I can. Be well, Steph.

Yeah, I read that turmeric is a good anti-inflammatory too. Buying organic doesn't help cos they only test for certain chemicals, not every contaminate a product contains. Chicken poop is also used to fertilize organic produce. Best bet is incorporate turmeric in food that needs cooking, or make a hot tea for her with a bit of honey.

Thanks xvee for getting back to me.

I do eat sweet potato once a day and eat lots of green veg and salad.

Hmmm no booze...?! That's a toughie!! Maybe one day- I have massively cut down and only drink on a Saturday. Why is it that everything good for you is counter cultural?!! I already get criticism for my diet choices and excerse regime!

Have you had many flares and are you medicated to treat these? How supportive are your doctors of your choice to go drug free?

Thanks

Steph xxx

I only have flares when I don't exercise enough or when I eat too much animal protein, fatty, spicy, unsanitary foods. I don't take meds cos my body recovers a few days after I stop abusing it.

I'm currently looking for a new doctor cos the one I'm with have zero experience with Crohn's. Feels like he's using me as an experiment project. If you trust your doctors you should probably not be as dismissive as I am with my doctor.

I choose not to use medication partly cos I've had such horrible experiences with doctors, some of whom have actually made me sicker instead of better.

Hopefully your docs are allies instead of hindrances.