• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Manufacturer's supply on backorder?

Has anyone tried to refill their azathioprine prescriptions lately and been told there was a delay in receiving it due to a back order with the manufacturer?

This just recently happened to me this week and I went into a bit of a panic because I run out of my medication after Monday and I wasn't sure how long the back order was going to be. MYLAN seems to be the manufacturer I typically get my medicine from (generic of Imuran).

I actually just got a call from the pharmacy letting me know that they can give me a partial refill using half from the original manufacturer and half from another manufacturer. So, I'm glad it sounds like I should have more medication at least for the next month. But, I wonder how long this backorder is supposed to last. My doc has been writing me 3 month Rxes (which has been saving us money!), but due to this backorder the pharmacy is only giving me a month's worth with 2 more partial refills.

Was curious if anyone has heard anything about it recently...

Spooky1

we sort of have this in britain. it was on the news very recently that britain sells abroad at a good profit which leaves the stock of meds for the brits waiting! so yes, i have had apologies from chemists that they are unable to obtain or i only get a bit of my order to be getting on with and i have to go back for the rest.

PsychoJane

I know we had purinethol (6-MP) shortage here last year. I don't exactly know what was behind these shortages. It did last about a year, I think it was a bundle of factors like the fact they get their ingredients from china/india and some company had issue getting the raw materials. There was something about the standardization related to the manufacturing of these that was slowing down their production. I think that the shortage is over for now but yeah, it may happens =S

I hope for you that this situation will be fixed soon!

Erika - Wow, only 15 days worth? That would freak me out. That was an interesting article. For some reason I never thought about having to deal with drug shortages, even though I've definitely heard about them. The nasal spray I had from my allergist recently was out of stock for an unspecified amount of time, but I recently decided to wean myself off of the steroid spray, so that's not a biggie for me.

I'd rather not think about one of my medications running out that keeps my Crohn's under control though!

I used Walgreens too. Hopefully we won't have to deal with this for too long!

hawkeye

Staff member
I have had instances (5-10 times in about 20 years) where the pharmacy has been able to fill all of the prescription except 150 tablets or so - the remainder is available within a few days. This has happened with both the Imuran and Salofalk.

The last time it happened with the Imuran was last year or the year before, nothing all that recent.

My pharmacy just switched Imuran brands from Teva to Mylan so I guess it may be a bit of wait and see.

Yes it has happened to me too. Luckily I have "connections" at the local hospital and was able to get a special order. I don't know how they got it. But I have a big bottle of 400 pills waiting for me.

I totally understand the panic. I was at the store sobbing as we were getting ready to go on vacation and I feared coming out of remission.

Contact your hospital pharmacy. They may have a stash. That's where I found mine and I stocked up.

Scary for sure.