• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Manuka Honey

Has anyone hear heard of or tried Manuka honey?
Health food stores sell it for ulcers and a ton more ailments.
You can even use it externally for skin sores.

If you Google it you can find a lot of uses.
I just bought a bottle a week ago and have been taking
a tablespoonful a day, right off the spoon.

If anyone has heard of Manuka honey or has tried it
please let me know.

Thanks~Nancy :)

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I didn't notice any major difference. I used it for a few months. Every morning plain yogurt, manuka honey and ground flax seed. I can't I noticed any great improvement.

The only difference I noticed is I was more stressed because I was constantly on alert trying to stop others stealing my expensive honey.

I just have bog standard honey.

rygon

Never tired it as its too expensive imho. Heard a long time ago that local honey was good for you as it has all the pollen in the air around you (think that was for hayfever tho)

Thanks for the replies..yes it is quite expensive
depending on the strength.
Here in Canada I have bought Manuka honey in the grocery store
but it does not say on the label what the strength is.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Nancy, if you are buying the President's choice stuff then it is no different from your standard honey as far as medicinal effects that it may contains. It's monofloral so ti will have a distinct taste, but the active compound most likely don't exist in any major way.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
The one I was buying was opaque, and had very distinctive taste, slightly medicinal tasting, but that could have just been in my head.

Manuka honey has helped me alot. Ive been using it for about 3month or so months now. Most of the food I couldnt eat before Im now able to eat without it reaking havoc.

I use Wedderspoon Raw Organic Manuka Honey Active 16+.
Chose the 16+ because I read in acouple sites 16+ is what will help treat crohns disease. Unfortunately, its quite expensive at 30dollars a bottle. After Im finished with my current bottle Im going to try to see how I feel being off it.

I have Manuka honey in a hot toddy if I get flu. Something like Raw Organic Manuka Honey Active 16+, as previously mentioned. Not all Manuka honey is the same standard, so I only buy the proper stuff from New Zealand from bees who have fed on the Manuka bush flowers. I have also used it for wound healing in the past. Much better than standard honey but a lot more expensive.

Thank you for your help also...I have located a place that sells the one from New Zealand from bees who have fed on the Manuka bush flowers
and hopefully I will be able to get out to get it tomorrow.
It runs between 30-40 dollars here and is 16+.

It runs between 30-40 dollars here and is 16+.
wow thats expensive, we pay $7 for 20+, about $6.00 US. i would be happy to post you some, but not sure if it would get through customs.