• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MAP articles needed

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Greetings all! I tutor a student whose mom is a lawyer. I was telling her about the milk-MAP-Crohn's connection -- remember me? the one who had to (still has to) fight the urge to drink milk like a smoker or alcoholic has to fight DAILY! -- and this lawyer mom is interested in hearing more about the MAP-milk-Crohn's connection. She says she has contacts who might like to pursue it. SO, whatever your feelings about lawyers / lawsuits or whatever are . . . and I doubt one would ever be taken on (but if it is, I am gonna share!) . . . I and the mom would like to hear whatever links you have to the issue. I know we have had many articles listed, would you mind posting them to this thread so I can collect them for the mom? I can perform hours of research, or ask you all. I'd rather ask you all . . . .

And for our newbies, this is a REALLY interesting topic . . . I might soon be posting a poll related to milk and you since we are the best collected source of data.

Love ya all! Thanks for the future postings on the MAP-milk-Crohn's connection . . .

Kev

Carla

Here's a recent story (link) on the www.ccfa.org website that disputes any MAP link
to Crohns Disease.. (for some reason, HTML code is off, so you'll have to copy and paste these into a browser)

http://www.ccfa.org/reuters/map

If this latest study is correct, then the supposed connection between Crohn's and the MAP virus has effectively been ruled out. And, I respect the CCFA and the work they do, and they do have a level of expertise in these areas, but when you get to one study fighting with another.. does it matter whether a jury or judge agrees with one or the other? Or is it more important that researchers follow the 'right' one? With a million cases in North America alone, in would have been nice if the theoretical link between MAP & Crohns had been confirmed, and that had lead to finding a cure or control faster. Now that it's ruled out, or contra-indicated, then I see a lot of researchers opting not to waste prescious resources researching it.

Either way if MAP is ruled out for Crohn's, people with Crohn's still seem to get flare triggers off it or while flaring they are very lactose intolerant. It's diff for every person of course, but Cara, if you were feeling better than you were before while drinking milk, try to keep restricting it for your own health and the disease, but if there wasn't much of a difference when restricting it then milk away lol... it's all up to your judgment anyways

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I have never had a bad reaction to milk, but I stopped drinking it because of the possible MAP connection. But of course you get all the MAP (Crohn's related or not), growth hormones, antibiotics, etc. So, sad me, milk still bad. . . :angry-banghead:

Kev

From my limited understanding of it, the theory behind the MAP connection to Crohns went/goes something like this (and anyone who has a better handle on this please feel free to jump in and correct me if I mis-speak).. The pasteurization method used on milk HTST (hi temp, short time) does not destroy MAP (if present in the milk) but it is not a threat to your typical milk drinker, unless they have a genetic predisposition.
For those with the predisposition, the long term result of contracting MAP via milk was IBD.. So, or so the theory supposedly went, approx 1 in 300 people who drank milk that DID contain MAP would contract/develop some form of IBD. And, if researchers could develop some hunter/killer t-cells for seeking out & destroying MAP in those affected, it would wipe-out IBD in upwards of 80% of the cases. So, that was the theory, and it sounded pretty good... Esp since researcher knew MAP caused johnes disease in cows, and there were numerous similarities between johnes/crohns, which may have lead to them making a connection where really none existed.. Either that, or this latest study/conclusion is wrong, and it does.

so, if you have IBD, you (if the MAP theory WAS right) already had contracted MAP, so drinking milk as and of itself wouldn't hurt (I mean, it's like being a LITTLE bit pregnant - ain't no such thing).. But, for a lot of people with IBD, lactose in milk is a bad thing (don't think anyone knows why for sure - perhaps strengthening the link that researchers made to the whole MAP crohnes thing - it looked like a clue)
But, if milk (or more importantly - lactose) didn't bother you before the MAP theory was postulated, then you most likely can relax and go back to enjoying it now...

I have been sensitive to milk products for the last 20 plus years. Never knew why.
I could drink powdered skim milk in tea or coffee, but not fresh milk, even 2%. But on a trip to the dominican republic, where they used milk that was kept hot, I was able to drink it without a problem. I understand now that heating milk this way has an effect on the lactose in it... helps to break it down, so my body, affected by IBD, can digest it. Just tossin that out in case others want a method of drinking it without suffering (and I mean suffering) the consequences, or using Lacteeze, etc.