• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MAP becoming more and more suspected as the culprit of CD

hi guys, I've been doing a tonne of research lately, and could post numerous articles but I will post perhaps one of the most thorough, it is 8 pages long but I do recommend everyone on here to read it! -http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/752223_4 - is the link. but I have copy n pasted what I find extremely interesting, and this is factual of the efficacy of anti-map treatment when compared to perhaps what the majority of GI's believe to be the most effective anti-tnf therapy - infliximab.

"Of the previously summarized studies, perhaps the most well-known and widely criticized study of anti-MAP therapy (AMAT) in CD was that conducted by Selby et al. [54] Touted as a 'landmark study',[56] the controversial trial used anti-mycobacterial drugs against atypical mycobacteria (rifabutin, clarithromycin, clofazimine) with prednisolone to induce remission followed by maintenance therapy with AMAT (n = 102). At 16 weeks, an unprecedented 66% of patients (n = 102) on AMAT were in remission without further benefit beyond this point by per-protocol analysis. However as surmised by Feller et al. the results of the Australian trial "were not based on an intention-to-treat analysis and may have underestimated the beneficial effects of the drug".[13] By an intention-to-treat (ITT) analysis the remission rate was significantly higher in the AMAT group compared with placebo (Table 2) with a p-value of <0.005 at 52 weeks and <0.008 at 104 weeks. As expected, after cessation of medication at 102 weeks the difference between treatment and placebo at 156 weeks was not significant (p = 0.19). Had the trial been based on an ITT analysis, as is the case with a number of other CD drugs on the market, the remission rate for AMAT would probably have been much higher.[13,55] The drop in efficacy over time is uncharacteristic compared with previous studies and may be attributed to two problems identified in the trial. First, the authors used "a suboptimal dose of clofazamine (50 mg/day) and other antibiotics",[57] and second, by the author's own admission, the clofazamine capsule "failed to rupture due to hardening of the outer gelatine capsule shell, resulting in a period of approximately 10 months where patients were likely not exposed to the correct dosage of clofazamine";[54] however, these patients were not replaced. Taken together, the results of the Selby trial were surprisingly good in spite of the shortcomings of the Australian Phase III trial. To demonstrate the superior efficacy of the treatment in CD it is essential to compare the results of the Selby trial with those of other CD treatments currently on the market, such as the anti-TNF therapy infliximab. AMAT remains a far more effective treatment than published results for infliximab, which reported remission rates of 39% at 12 weeks in the ACCENT I trial.[58,59] For example, on an ITT analysis, the AMAT remission rate at 16 weeks was 66% compared with 39% at 12 week for infliximab. Although no data is available for the trial of infliximab at 52 weeks, the ITT AMAT remission rate at 52 weeks was 41% compared with 26% at 26 weeks for the highest dose of infliximab used. The AMAT remission rate was also higher than that achieved with the recently US FDA-approved humanized anti-TNF antibody (adalimumab) in the CHARM trial, with the ITT remission rate of 24% for adalimumab at 52 weeks calculated for the highest dose.[60] The demonstrated superior results of anti-MAP therapy over other treatments currently on the market for CD support their use as a preferred primary treatment. This view was echoed by Feller et al. in their recent meta-analysis of antibiotic therapy in CD, who reported on the "potentially more favorable adverse effect profile and lower costs" of antibiotic therapy compared with infliximab.[13] With the serious, and at times fatal side effects encountered with anti-TNF therapy,[61,62] coupled with an efficacy below 39%,[57] it could readily be argued that failure to inform patients of this safe and effective antibiotic CD treatment may expose physicians to the question of 'duty of care' with its legal implications."

It actually told me that this thread wasn't able to request additional support... I initially requested support on a thread I posted on CMV, being on my phone I didn't check the subject title. This thread should actually be moved to the research section if any mods can make that happen. Soz I'm on my phone so options are limited...

But it certainly was not disingenuous, so forgive me if it offended you, the whole reason I posted it is to offer knowledge to people who are looking for more answers... I see you're on a trial of a new drug, may I ask its mechanism for how it works? I hope it's successful.

Brenden you are lucky bro, you live in Vancouver where the SSI trial is taking place, interestingly enough, out of the ten patients they treated with the compassionate use program 7/10 went into remission, 4 of those 7 have been in sustained histological remission (no crohns disease detected on biopsy), the longest of which is coming up on 4 years off all meds. What is interesting is that the SSI stimulates the body's own innate immune system to clear intracellular bacteria! I believe that will be a cure. Infact I believe Tyler (the guy who's had the 4 year long 100% remission is indeed cured, I think it fixed the defect, there is currently a lot of research looking at AIEC as another causative

Brenden you are lucky bro, you live in Vancouver where the SSI trial is taking place, interestingly enough, out of the ten patients they treated with the compassionate use program 7/10 went into remission, 4 of those 7 have been in sustained histological remission (no crohns disease detected on biopsy), the longest of which is coming up on 4 years off all meds. What is interesting is that the SSI stimulates the body's own innate immune system to clear intracellular bacteria! I believe that will be a cure. Infact I believe Tyler (the guy who's had the 4 year long 100% remission is indeed cured, I think it fixed the defect, there is currently a lot of research looking at AIEC as another causative Pathogenic bacteria. I was considering flying to Canada to do the trial, but I am going to Sydney next month to see Dr. Borody (one of the leading researchers in regards to map), I would much rather do the vaccine than the anti-biotic cocktail but I am in Australia so it's a lot closer for me and I believe it's going to sort me out. Also, I think the combination of the two (antibiotic therapy targetted at intracellular bacteria) alongside something like the vaccine to boost and stimulate immunity is a full proof plan.

Trysha

Staff member
Joshuaaa
With such a good grasp of the situation, you sound like a scientist.
Your posts are interesting and mind stimulating.
I also think that the treatment mechanism of approach should be towards the innate immune system. Both Dr Gunn and Dr Borody have something.
I believe in these approaches, and they are far less dangerous than other treatments.
Thank you for your posts.
Trysha

Thanks for the kind words Trysha, I'm certainly no scientist though ha, just someone who struggling and trying to get some answers, I'm excited and nervous to see prof Borody next month, my histology showed no signs of granulomas (I don't know exactly what that means but I've read granuloma formation is more common with map infection), I've had my hopes shattered so many times I'm scared to hope anymore but when you look at the evidence out there it's hard to ignore it. Im praying that it works so I can get my life back. I found a very promising letter, it's actually written by 5 doctors who either have been dx w CD or had family members who have been dx w CD who had all failed the mainstream routes and then found complete sustained remission (im not allowed to say cure) through anti-map. I'll post the article link later on when I'm on the pc. It's a must read.

I have the proctocol, got it from a friend who talks to Borody sometimes. But you have to stay on the coktail for a looooong while. I heard MAP is airborne as well!? I wonder how easy you´ll get the infection again.

I do believe that there is somekind or multiple infection (intercellular) which is crohns, maybe add leaky gut to the mix.

A long, looooong time, which Ofcourse can have nasty side effects, but you've gotta think about the other meds avail atm, they're all pretty much life long as it is... CD isn't something that just goes away unfortunately. In regards to reinfect ion, iv heard it takes years for the infection to redevelop, but that's not concrete so I'm not too sure. If you search professor Borody - anti map on YouTube there will be 9 videos. There's a patient that features in the videos who had been on the cocktail for 12 years, (videos are quite old so even longer now).

Great read!!! Thank you Joshuaaa!!!

although I think my past cigarette smoking is a major cause.....I think MAP is more of underlying cause (first cause) and the current level of testing does not do a good job to identifying it in every person.....but it may still be there