• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MAP in frozen veggies

I did not know it was in the soil also. I have been eating carrots out of my dads garden. I guess I will likely kill any MAP I have with my Chlorine Dioxide treatment anyway.

I still try to avoid foods that may have it. Now I have another to put on my list.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Dan

Makes you wonder what else you can find it in.

If it is found in cows and cow dung is often used as fertilizer...

I wonder if you can get it in the air where they use liquid fertilizer? I've lived in farm country before. That stuff is nasty if the wind is blowing the wrong way.

The article says that MAP can only be killed at 165 degrees Celsius. So I guess since water boils at 100 degrees, boiling the vegetables wouldn't even kill it. And even if you cook something in an oven at 165+ degrees, the actual food doesn't get nearly that hot.

It's too bad. I always found the frozen veggies to be really convenient.

I would guess that rinsing vegatables in water with a little bleach in it would kill about anything. A few drops should be all it would take. Or Grapefruit seed extract may work also.

Dan

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
Pen said:
Yeah we have our own garden and it is essential to rinse and then steam or blanch before you freeze them. Yet not the strawberries, go figure eh?
i was skeleton reading your post pen, when i thought it said "rinse in ....bleach" that would all things including ourselves though sharon xx