• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MAP test

Hi all,

Does anyone have information where to go in US (preferably in the southwest) for the MAP test. I can find plenty of articles about the various tests out there, but not who to contact or where to go. My main GI seems to know nothing about MAP theory and the other doesn't think highly of the "science behind the theory".

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to take the test before starting Remicade which is scheduled for two weeks from now. Cimzia did nothing for me so I'm not a 100% convinced another biologic will work but that's the only option I have been given.

Thanks,
Dan

A few people on the forum have been treated with anti-MAP antibiotic therapy by this doctor:

Dr William Chamberlin

MD FACG
Gastroenterologist
4351 E. Lohman, Suite 409
Las Cruces , NM 88011
Phone: (575) 522-0116
Fax: (575) 522-0094

Last edited:
Hi Tabs,

There is now finally a facility in the US where you can get testing. You do not even need your GI or anything like that. I'm sorry I cannot post a direct link yet due to forum rules.

Sorry this is the only way I can post a direct link, haha. Anyways, the test I believe is $450

The benefit however is that they will actually perform three tests for you. They will try and culture (grow) MAP directly from your blood sample. They will try to detect MAP by PCR (so look for MAP DNA in your blood) and they will test for antibodies in your blood against MAP.

I will be sending my sample in shortly - I was unfortunately delayed in sending mine as I recently had to go for quite a few days on IV antibiotics due to a strep infection in my throat. Just recovering from that ordeal now.

I have Crohn's-Coltis by the way so I am interested in finding out the results.

This may be a good (and easy) option for you. I will also post this on the other MAP thread. Perhaps the best $450 bucks you'll ever spend.

Also you just go get your blood drawn anywhere and simply express post it to them.... it's just that easy now. Crazy how things change. In my case I am in Canada and have to fill out a "non-infectious" form for US Customs but that is also very easy.

EDIT: Please note that to culture the bacteria will take longer than 2 weeks but perhaps ask them about pre-results on the PCR/Antibody test if that is possible. This might give you an indication ahead of culture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response! $450 isn't bad at all. Cheaper than the Prometheus test ended up being for me with insurance.

@rollinstone and Confused:

I hope this post doesn't get taken down but I want to post it anyway. It looks like an option is to try and track down John Aitken in New Zealand. Or perhaps consider just sending your blood sample via FedEx Express Air to the american lab I posted above about.

I am trying to get contact information for Mr. Aitkens lab and will post if I manage to do so.

Just trying to help those interested find testing. That was my stumbling block for a long time as well....

I am just cutting and pasting this from an email:

I simply asked if they knew of anyone doing testing in UK or Aus and barring that if he could explain how to send an international blood sample for testing to put people at ease with the idea and process.

Purely for the intention of helping others on here that are interested in testing....

"Mark,

I do not personally know anyone or laboratory in Australia or UK to do MAP testing. Through the conversation with patients, I heard Dr. Thomas Borody in Australia may have a testing service for MAP, but I do not know for certainty. I know Dr. Herman-Taylor in UK is developing a monoclonal antibody based test for MAP, but the test is still in development, if I remember correctly. I know that a scientist from New Zealand, John Aitken is doing testing for people, but I do not know how to reach him or how the test is done. As far as I know we are the first commercial lab for MAP testing.

One of our patients posted in the forum of our testing service, and the post was taken down by someone quickly. We do not monitor any discussion board or forum. If anyone interested in testing MAP using our service, they will have to directly contact us through social media, website, or email or call us directly.

The most common question is how to get the blood drawn to send to us. We have updated our requisition form with medical director on the top, so the form itself will serve as an order for the lab to draw blood for the patients. The free testing is officially over, and the payment can be made directly through the website.

Hope this will help."

John Aitken's lab in New Zealand is the gold standard. He actually grows the organism from your blood rather than PCR DNA technique, which isn't always accurate. It can give false positives and negatives from what I understand. If he grows it, you know for sure you have it. Plus, he can look at the growth pattern which will give you insight into treatment. PM me if you want his contact info. :)