• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Martial Artists?

Hi,

I thought I'd start a thread and see if there are any fellow martial artists here and ask how Crohn's has affected your hobby.

I started doing MA with judo when I was about 13 and due to moving with my family moving around I did a few different styles. I always regret not continuing with judo though. After a few years I ended up doing JKD as I was looking for a very free art that covered all ranges. This was just about the the time the first UFC came out, so I naturally went to MMA and related arts as it was exactly what I was looking for (striking, throwing, realistic training etc etc).

After numerous years of MMA I burnt out and took a break for about 7 years. When I got back into traning I decided that self defence and combat was no longer interesting and it was all about fun. One art that I always had fun doing but never had the chance to get too involved in was eskrima / kali / arnis. So I picked up the sticks.

One art that I always had a very negative attitude towards was capoeira, but after doing an hour at a charity event I saw the beauty of it and the benefits (best physio I have ever had) and decided to pick that up to.

I got diagnosed with Crohn's about 2 weeks ago. I started feeling sick about 9 months ago, so I haven't really trained since then. Although I am hoping to start back at capo and just play the instruments until I feel a little better.

It kinda sucks not being able to train. Although my symptoms are "mild" I really don't feel like bouncing around and being social at the moment. And when I have good days, I just want to relax or catch up on more important things.

So anyhooo...Any martial artists? What do you do? And how has it been training with CD (etc)?

Oh! Please, no style wars!