• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Massage & Crohn's

C

ChicagoCrohns

massage & Crohn's

I am a massage therapist and I have Crohn's. I am interested in specializing in digestive related illness in my massage practice. Do you get massages? Does it help? Would you be open to abdominal massage (done by a person who suffers from CD and would be aware of your pain)? What specifically would you want a MT to focus on when you have a massage?
I am researching some different modalities and would love your input.

Thanks
Kate

D

DannyB

I would love a massage to assist in pain relief and such-like.

If I was to get a massage then my abdominal area and lower back would be most lovely indeed.

i have been thinking of seeing a MT. i would want a overall one, concentrated on upper/lower back and legs. my muscles in my shoulders are extremely tense and with the inflammation i get in my ankles, my legs have been feeling heavy and dead. i have a little handheld battery massager, it seems to soothe my intestines when they are in pain. the vibration i guess.
if you are in vic, bc i'll come and see ya;)
good luck

V

Valentina

I love a massage, but if I have a sore tummy, just the thought of someone pressing on it sends shivers down my spine... but Im all for rubbing muscles.. mmm, yes I do like that.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
(Not in Chicago) but I would be open to a massage if there was some optimism that I would have relief (assuming I was in pain). I have been told before that an abdominal massage could help, but never had one. I was actually told (by a natural doctor) that it could actually heal a stricture. I did not really believe this, and am curious if you think this is true.

D

Donna

My sister is going to school to become a massage therapist, and let me tell you...what she practices on me works wonders. Massage in general relieves stress and tension, a crohn's sufferer's worst enemy, and because of that I believe it helps.

I let her do my tummy...she is really gentle. She doesn't have Crohn's, but I do, and so does her half-brother. So she knows. Also, I am a big girl and quite embarrassed to have another professional do a massage on me...so I couldn't say for sure if I would let them do my tummy. More because of my weight and not my pain. My sis says she would rather work on someone bigger anyway or someone ill because she sees the biggest improvement with people like that.

Wanna come to PA??!!

J

Jonny

Valentina said:
I love a massage, but if I have a sore tummy, just the thought of someone pressing on it sends shivers down my spine... but Im all for rubbing muscles.. mmm, yes I do like that.
Id have to agree the thought of someone pressing down on my tummy fills me full of anxiety.I hate it when the doctors poke me on the belly and check around for inflamation etc.Too be honest i feel like punching them out grrrrr..

Only tender loving my tummy gets is a nice rub by me after a superfine chinese meal.But if the massage is gentle then im all for it.

C

ChicagoCrohns

mikeyarmo said:
(Not in Chicago) but I would be open to a massage if there was some optimism that I would have relief (assuming I was in pain). I have been told before that an abdominal massage could help, but never had one. I was actually told (by a natural doctor) that it could actually heal a stricture. I did not really believe this, and am curious if you think this is true.
I wouldn't want to say that it could "heal" a stricture but I would get blood flowing to places that are being neglected due to disease. That's why I'm interested in peoples thoughts on abdominal massage. Granted we all have "a lot of blood" but I think it's possible for an abdominal massage to get that blood that we are loosing to the places that need it most. I am not a doctor and would not be PRESSING down on anyones tummy (or pressing down & quckly releasing, I hate that!), but some gentle massage working in the way that the GI tract goes....really gentle. I know that sometimes when I am in pain I rub my tummy and it feels better. I still have a lot more research to do regarding this...i.e. specific modalities, do's & don'ts but am very curious as to how it would be accepted by those of us with Crohn's. So please, keep the reply's coming.

I've had a few. They are wonderful!!!!
But for some reason when they get down by my kidneys I feel the need to pass gas...lets pray that's all...lol.
A belly rub? Not sure where I would stand on that....if it doesn't hurt, why not?

L

little_sami

I tried a massage on my own belly last night - really should not have done that, without knowing what I was doing... I woke up at 2:30am with terrible cramps and was awake half the night. oops.

C

ChicagoCrohns

little_sami said:
I tried a massage on my own belly last night - really should not have done that, without knowing what I was doing... I woke up at 2:30am with terrible cramps and was awake half the night. oops.
Wow - I'm sorry. I don't know if you'd try it again...but be gentle and go clockwise. I found this book on Amazon, looks intersting: Unwinding the Belly: Healing with Gentle Touch by Allison Post, Stephen Cavaliere.

M

meowsie

I always rub my gut in a clockwise motion very gently when I am having a flare. No pressure, just light motion. I find that it helps move things around and soothes my savage gut.

C

ChicagoCrohns

If & when you do get a massage aske the therapist to put a heating pad on your tummy while you're lying on your back. And a heating pad on your lower back when your on your stomach (or your side if you're uncomfortable on your stomach) that would make the massage much more enjoyable.
K

I've read that heat and massage helps the digestion function better and I've found this to be true for me. I often feel stodgy like nothing's moving inside and this is when I use massage. Particular areas are the sternum where it feels like food just stops until I eat something else and then that area that is probably different for everyone where the actual inflammation is. If I'm not in pain this is the same place where all the gurgling mostly occurs as well. I use yoga to give me an internal massage in this area and find my digestion is much more stimulated and functional for it. I think if you could practice on IBD guinea pigs you'd benefit them. I'm from Milwaukee and could contact you when I'm in town if you fancy one - a guinea pig. Though I don't expect to be back for a while yet.

Im A LMT in AZ and ha been working with clients that have CD for several years, some of the techniques i use are light work on the abs, stomach followed by some stretching. the majority of my work is basic sweedish massage but i do some deep work after applying heat to certain areas to releive muscles that are HT. as of yet all my clients are satisfied with the work i do for them and i am glad to work with them. If any one has some ideas to better my work with my clients plz advise i to am open to new ideas.