• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

May have Crohn's

I'm in the hospital now, with what was thought as appendicitis, but they say I may now have Crohn's.:eek2: Really scared :frown: On Monday or Tuesday I'll have a colonoscopy.

Once the colonoscopy, is the diagnosis 100% conclusive? Any point in getting a second opinion?

Thanks

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Nothing wrong with a second opinion. Colonoscopy with biopsies are a gold standard. But it is possible to have Crohn's with a clear colonoscopy. That scope only goes as far as the last part of the ileum (where the small and large bowel connect).

Sending you my support.

afidz

Super Moderator
They thought I had appendicitis as well, took it out and sent me home. They said that my appendix was only mildly inflamed but it made my colon very inflamed so they had to take it out. Later, I told the surgeon I still felt awful. He said it was the antibiotics I was on. Several months later, and a different hospital, I was dx with Crohn's. Obviously my colon made my appendix slightly inflamed, not the other way around.
A colonoscopy with a biopsy is the best way to be diagnosed, and like DJW said, it never hurts to get a second opinion. Its your body and your health, it is important that you have all of the correct facts so you can make an informed decision on how to treat your body. I know you are over whelmed, but just take it one day at a time. Thats all any of us can ever do.

Seriously, don't get yourself worried or anxious about it because it'll only make you feel worse and not just that, there's not much you can do about it (if you do have crohn's). It's not worth getting a second opinion until you've had the scope because they are usually pretty definitive when it comes to diagnosis, so I hear.

I'll be having my first colonoscopy not this Monday, but next. I'm nervous too, but really happy to get some answers and hopefully start treatment. So remember, you're not alone in this. I would definitely do some research, watch some YouTube videos and look at the positives. At first I didn't want any of this, I just wanted to ignore it, but I think it's much better to educate yourself because it lessens your anxiety. So people say, knowledge is power.

All the best with the colonoscopy and I hope you get some answers! Keep us updated. :)

afidz

Super Moderator
Even if the scope is definitive, it still doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. Not necessarily on the diagnosis, but on disease progression and treatment. Every doctor treats IBD differently. One doctor might see something that another misses. And you don't necessarily have to get another scope, you can just have the images sent to the second doctor to review.

I just posted my story this morning on the my story forum, but good luck to you from one Texan to another :)

I can say in my case, the colonoscopy was very telling. Hope all goes well for you and you get some answers soon!

I'll note that prior to the episode that led me to the ER, I had NO typical CD symptoms...No weight loss, no diarrhea, no nausea, no loss of appetite, pains, etc.

Abdominal pain only started 8 days before going to the ER when my appendix blew. I thought I had food poisoning and toughed it out, but it never improved.

The CT scan upon admission confirmed the blown appendix but showed inflamed (thickened) bowels, and now they're talking Crohns.

I'm definitely seeking a second opinion once out of the hospital.

Its actually quite infuriating that they'd throw around Crohns based on CT scan only, especially since I walked around for a week with a gut filled with infectious pus due to the appendicitis. They casually permit someone to potentially be unnerved and distressed without a solid diagnosis.

As soon as the infection is under control I'll have a colonoscopy to see whats going on.

All:

I was released from the hospital a week ago last Tuesday after 6 nights with a dx of acute appendicitis. Just had a follow up CT scan.

Looks like I now have no abnormal inflammation, no fistulas. My drain was removed. The doctor running the CT scan said that it all just looks like a case of a bad ruptured appendix. As a matter of fact he said he didn't even see an appendix; its possible it just disintegrated. All very good news for me.

I'll keep you all posted on the developments. Blessed be all here, wherever you are in your health. Through this ordeal I've had the honor of getting to know your tremendous courage and resilience.

So glad you are on the mend!! What an ordeal though. Take care and I wish you the best of healthy days ahead!