• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

May have to give up Remicade after 3 infusions

Hi all, I received Remicade infusions since the last Christmas.

Generally speaking, Remicade works for me. I felt great on stool these days, and the pain level is lowered to my "Predisone days".

Following each of them, I will experience significant fatigue, dizziness and difficulty in sleeping well. Such reactions usually last one week and then they are gone.

But the worst part is WBC(white blood cell count) and neutrophil count. Prior to the 3rd infusion, the doctor told me my WBC was dangerously low as 3.3. The next day they tested me again and it was 4.5, and then agree to give the the 3rd infusion. And I started to take pills to increase the WBC.

Now 2 weeks past. I received regular blood test today and the result is 4.2. Considering the help of the pills, Remicade has been really dropping my WBC count. The doctor said I may not able to use it anymore.

I am a bit frustrated. I tried Pentasa, Predison, and neither of them could put me into a good remission. I had a high expectation for Remicade, because there so many success stories. But a failure again. I might have no medication to try, as there isn't many options of biologics in my country.

Some of patients here are treated with enteral nutrition. They eat nothing for months, and nutrition liquids are dropped into their stomach through a tube. A fraction of them will get a good heal. I don't know if this is my last resort.

I'm sorry to hear of the struggle you are having. Have they tried imuran, 6mp or methotrexate with you? That is the class of drugs between 5ASAs(like Pentasa) and biologics like remicade. It might be something to discuss with the GI, although it might affect WBC as well.

I'm sorry to hear of the struggle you are having. Have they tried imuran, 6mp or methotrexate with you? That is the class of drugs between 5ASAs(like Pentasa) and biologics like remicade. It might be something to discuss with the GI, although it might affect WBC as well.
I knew Remicade generaly works better so agreed to jump over immunosuppressants. Since my side effects are not allergy but due to immune suppress, I cannot be optimistic on these medicines such as Imuran.

DavidXU, talk with your GI about options. Remicade works great for me, but not for everyone. Cimzia, and Humira might be possibilities for you as well.