• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Maybe a side effect of Asacol HD?

I have been on Asacol HD for almost 1 year and I am having some bruising/bleeding under the skin. Could it be from this medication? I take 800 mg 3Xday.

It could... Asacol can cause thrombocytopenia, which is basically a drop in blood platelets, so the blood can't clot so well, and bruising/bleeding can result. I had a temporary drop to slightly below normal levels, which then resolved and I am now within normal range (I also take asacol for about 18 months now). Do a blood test and get a full blood count to see if you have a problem with your platelets...

My daughter has been taking Asacol for over a year too. She keeps telling me she has bruises. Her last blood work was good, but maybe it is a side effect from the Asacol. I will find out more too... thanks for the thread, it certainly caught my attention.

I didn't have to stop taking it, it resolved on its own. I didn't actually have any bruising or bleeding though, it was just something that was picked up in a routine blood test. Normal levels of platelets are 140,000-440,000, I was at 134,000, so only a little below normal. My doctor didn't seem too worried and told me we wouldn't change anything unless it continued to fall. A month later I was 144,000 and a month after that 170,000 so it seems I'm in the clear. My husband has UC, he also had a period of low platelets while on asacol, and it also resolved on its own without stopping the medication.
Definitely see the haematologist though, but I wouldn't stop the medication until you know what's going on.