• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mayo Clinic Help

Anyone who has experience with Mayo Clinic- I need your help, please. I have inflammation and thickening of Jejunum and need a balloon enteroscopy with biopsy to confirm Crohns. I have been passed around a lot- and the only GI (teaching hospital in AR) who does this procedure is trying to schedule me for January 21st for the biopsy. I am very ill and need help on the steps to get to Mayo for this. Any and all advice welcome. Thank you.

my little penguin

Staff member
We were going to take my kiddo to Mayo for a second opinion.
Just call the Mayo Gi dept number .
They have individuals who do second opinion coordination. It’s that easy. They will tell you what records /imaging/biopsy slides to get and where to send them . Then they will schedule an appt.

There was a long wait for an appt when we wanted to schedule but that was pediatric Gi and over 6 years ago so ….

We were going to take my kiddo to Mayo for a second opinion.
Just call the Mayo Gi dept number .
They have individuals who do second opinion coordination. It’s that easy. They will tell you what records /imaging/biopsy slides to get and where to send them . Then they will schedule an appt.

There was a long wait for an appt when we wanted to schedule but that was pediatric Gi and over 6 years ago so ….
Thank you for your response. I am praying I can be seen in 3 months… I hope I’m being realistic. I’m able to travel to any of the Mayo Clinic’s. I’ll call at 8am when they open.

my little penguin

Staff member
One thing to note
They would not agree to see my kiddo if he had already seen more than 2-3 Gi at the time
Even if one was his primary Gi .
That was the only weird thing about Mayo
It didn’t matter that the other second opinion happened years ago -maybe it was just a kid thing
But wanted you to know

One thing to note
They would not agree to see my kiddo if he had already seen more than 2-3 Gi at the time
Even if one was his primary Gi .
That was the only weird thing about Mayo
It didn’t matter that the other second opinion happened years ago -maybe it was just a kid thing
But wanted you to know
Wow I haven’t heard that. Thank you for the heads up! I have now seen 3. Hmm… will let you know how I get along.

my little penguin

Staff member
Would also suggest Cleveland clinics their Gi dept is listed high
And try a few other big places
If your driving anyways
Just call the Gi depts and they will tell you time frame to get in

I have an appt at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota on Sept 7th for a one week stay for diagnosis. Praise the Lord!!! Thank you so much for all of your help, this forum has been so helpful.