• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MDMA and Remicade

yes, i know this is HIGHLY controversial and i'm probably going to get tons of emails over this, but i'm only looking for some information.

ecstasy, has anyone tried it while on remicade? how did it go? was there an ER trip? Did you have a great time?

I've read a lot about MDMA and how it works and i don't see many things that would mess with the remicade. it's mainly all psychological and not physical.

any experiences and stories are greatly appreciated. i don't need reprimanding. :) thanks again! :)

rygon

I doubt there would be many people who have tried that combination to give an accurate picture. I think it would be up to yurself to see how it goes. Depending on your severity of your crohns it might not be a good idea (dancing always puts a strain on my stomach so no idea how it would be if your on pills)

I just tried MDMA for the first time since getting diagnosed and being put on remicade. I'm also on 6-MP. Just took a little bit, to be on the safe side, and it seemed fine. Well, I did have back pain, fever and loss of appetite the next day but I'm fairly sure that was nothing to do with the MDMA: I'd been coming down with a cold anyway. At any rate, I'm alive ;)

KWalker

I'm sorry, but are you guys insane?! You have a serious medical condition that really messes up your stomach and on a really dangerous drug such as Remicade, and you want to take MDMA? Please don't even try, it's really not worth the risk... even if you're perfectly healthy, which you're not.

I've never heard it called MDMA. I had to Google it. I take a drug in the same class (phentermine) and haven't had any issues with interactions with the Remi.

KWalker

I've never heard it called MDMA. I had to Google it. I take a drug in the same class (phentermine) and haven't had any issues with interactions with the Remi.
MDMA is the club name for Ecstacy. It's called a "club drug" because it's most often used in clubs/concerts. What do you use phentermine for if you don't mind me asking?

I'm sorry, but are you guys insane?! You have a serious medical condition that really messes up your stomach and on a really dangerous drug such as Remicade, and you want to take MDMA? Please don't even try, it's really not worth the risk... even if you're perfectly healthy, which you're not.
LOL @ KWalker. Do you suffer from Paranoia? You promote a lot of fear around some drugs. Remicade is about a 1000 times more dangerous than MDMA. Not sure of the contraindications. Probably same for anything that is an amphetamine chain. Do your good diligence on the source and purity, but only you can make this choice in the end.

KWalker

LOL @ KWalker. Do you suffer from Paranoia? You promote a lot of fear around some drugs. Remicade is about a 1000 times more dangerous than MDMA. Not sure of the contraindications. Probably same for anything that is an amphetamine chain. Do your good diligence on the source and purity, but only you can make this choice in the end.
No, I agree with you.. While on something like Remicade which is already bad enough why would you want to risk throwing something like ecstacy on top of that? And no, I don't suffer from some sort of paranoia around drugs, I guess I just have a brain in my head unlike the people who think this is okay. I've tried a few drugs in the past yes, but especially not while I was really sick and on Remicade.

:shifty-t:Again, you are jut spewing 20th century hysteria about drugs. MDMA, like LSD, was successfully being used in therapy by doctors before they became recreational drugs, and finally outlawed(MDMA was outlawed in US in the 1980's). The challenge with MDMA is finding a pure pharmaceutical source.. Due to its currentillegal status, the danger lies in ingesting impure chemicals or improperly created drugs. But I do love your blanket statements ;). You sure you don't live in the USA? I thought you Canadians were more relaxed than us.

KWalker

We are more relaxed...and I guess we're a little smarter as well. You're right it was used by doctors in the past, and if they actually are looking for MDMA for medical use (which I have NEVER heard of in my life, because they wouldn't be calling it MDMA) then that changes things but when people say they want to try MDMA it usually isn't for their health. There are many different alternatives rather than taking that, which is also where you're right about the dangers ingesting the chemicals in these drugs.

It actually kind of scares me that you defend these recreational drugs so much. It just gives me the impression of you that you really are just an addict and I shouldn't even waste my time talking to you. You always seem to have something to say. So far the only stuff I've got from you is that you've been addicted to drugs, and clearly like to defend drug use.

We are more relaxed...and I guess we're a little smarter as well. You're right it was used by doctors in the past, and if they actually are looking for MDMA for medical use (which I have NEVER heard of in my life, because they wouldn't be calling it MDMA) then that changes things but when people say they want to try MDMA it usually isn't for their health. There are many different alternatives rather than taking that, which is also where you're right about the dangers ingesting the chemicals in these drugs.

It actually kind of scares me that you defend these recreational drugs so much. It just gives me the impression of you that you really are just an addict and I shouldn't even waste my time talking to you. You always seem to have something to say. So far the only stuff I've got from you is that you've been addicted to drugs, and clearly like to defend drug use.
Seriously, how old are you? Have you finished high school? They would call it MDMA because that is it's pharmaceutical name. :ybatty:

from Wikipedia:

MDMA (3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine) is an entactogenic drug of the phenethylamine and amphetamine class of drugs. In popular culture, MDMA has become widely known as "ecstasy" ("E", "X" or "XTC"), usually referring to its street pill form, although this term may also include the presence of possible adulterants. The term "molly" colloquially refers to MDMA in crystalline or powder form.

MDMA can induce euphoria, a sense of intimacy with others, and diminished anxiety. Many studies, particularly in the fields of psychology and cognitive therapy, have suggested that MDMA has therapeutic benefits and facilitates therapy sessions in certain individuals, a practice for which it had formally been used in the past. Clinical trials are now testing the therapeutic potential of MDMA for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and anxiety associated with terminal cancer.[3][4]

MDMA is criminalized in most countries under a United Nations (UN) agreement, and its possession, manufacture, or sale may result in criminal prosecution, although some limited exceptions exist for scientific and medical research. For 2008 the UN estimated between 10-25 million people globally used ecstasy at least once in the past year. This was broadly similar to the number of cocaine, amphetamine and opiate users, but far fewer than the global number of cannabis users.[5] It is taken in a variety of contexts far removed from its roots in psychotherapeutic settings and is commonly associated with dance parties (or "raves") and electronic dance music.[6]

Regulatory authorities in several locations around the world have approved scientific studies administering MDMA to humans to examine its therapeutic potential and its effects.[7]

I do not have experience with this but f you are going to do it, be sure to stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water. Even better, drink coconut water so your electrolytes stay balanced.

KWalker - MDMA has been used to treat PTSD.

Also, your judgement of other people is really obnoxious.

KWalker

Seriously, how old are you? Have you finished high school? They would call it MDMA because that is it's pharmaceutical name. :ybatty:

from Wikipedia:

MDMA (3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine) is an entactogenic drug of the phenethylamine and amphetamine class of drugs. In popular culture, MDMA has become widely known as "ecstasy" ("E", "X" or "XTC"), usually referring to its street pill form, although this term may also include the presence of possible adulterants. The term "molly" colloquially refers to MDMA in crystalline or powder form.

MDMA can induce euphoria, a sense of intimacy with others, and diminished anxiety. Many studies, particularly in the fields of psychology and cognitive therapy, have suggested that MDMA has therapeutic benefits and facilitates therapy sessions in certain individuals, a practice for which it had formally been used in the past. Clinical trials are now testing the therapeutic potential of MDMA for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and anxiety associated with terminal cancer.[3][4]

MDMA is criminalized in most countries under a United Nations (UN) agreement, and its possession, manufacture, or sale may result in criminal prosecution, although some limited exceptions exist for scientific and medical research. For 2008 the UN estimated between 10-25 million people globally used ecstasy at least once in the past year. This was broadly similar to the number of cocaine, amphetamine and opiate users, but far fewer than the global number of cannabis users.[5] It is taken in a variety of contexts far removed from its roots in psychotherapeutic settings and is commonly associated with dance parties (or "raves") and electronic dance music.[6]

Regulatory authorities in several locations around the world have approved scientific studies administering MDMA to humans to examine its therapeutic potential and its effects.[7]
Congrats, you know how to google. That just furthers my opinion on you. Let's be real, I understand that you've clearly got some problems but we both know people aren't taking MDMA for health reasons. It wouldn't be considered a club drug if that were the case. "Come on guys, let's go to the bar and take MDMA so we can feel healthy"

And I'm in University right now working towards to my doctorate degree. Currently with a suicide prevention coalition. What are you doing with your life? Working in retail (if that) so you can afford to get your next hit?

This forum needs a block button so people can block out others so we don't have to hurt our brains with some of the shit people say. I thought this was a support group for people suffering with the same illness. Makes me not even want to come here anymore solely because of you.

KWalker

If you are going to do it, be sure to stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water.

If people are actually using drugs for medical usage then I'm not referring to them because I'm all for people doing what they have to do to get the relief they deserve, but if people are taking them for recreation, that's different.

I do not have experience with this but f you are going to do it, be sure to stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water. Even better, drink coconut water so your electrolytes stay balanced.

Stay hydrated but do not drink too much water. Most problems were of kids dancing all night (overheating) and/or drinking too much water. Yes, if you drink too much water you can die. It throws off your electrolite balance.

So what if it's recreational? This kid could be depressed as hell and just wants to have a good time. Why not give the best information possible so that he/she can have a good time in the safest way possible?

There are many variables to consider and if it is done once recreationally it could positively affect his/her mental outlook.

You may not agree with it, but you don't have to stick your nose in the air and act like you are better than other people because your decisions are different.

I must agree with Johnny that you should be certain of the purity of the substance, which unless you have a chemistry set at home, you may never know. In that regard, I wouldn't consume anything I wasn't 100% sure of its contents.

MDMA is the club name for Ecstacy. It's called a "club drug" because it's most often used in clubs/concerts. What do you use phentermine for if you don't mind me asking?
Weight loss. Unfortunately, that's not a symptom of the Crohn's for me. I lost 90 pounds with the help of phentermine and am at a good weight now. However, I recently quit smoking (yay me!) and gained 10 pounds. I'm back on phentermine to keep me from gaining more (and hopefully lose this 10).

I think the message here is, if you're going to do it anyway, be as safe as you can.

I'm not judging anyone, we all have our differing opinions. We should be here for support, not to argue and attack each other.

ekay03

My dog has hands!
yes, i know this is HIGHLY controversial and i'm probably going to get tons of emails over this, but i'm only looking for some information.

ecstasy, has anyone tried it while on remicade? how did it go? was there an ER trip? Did you have a great time?

I've read a lot about MDMA and how it works and i don't see many things that would mess with the remicade. it's mainly all psychological and not physical.

any experiences and stories are greatly appreciated. i don't need reprimanding. :) thanks again! :)
Hi KonekotheOrange and welcome, May I suggest that you should have somebody sober to keep their eye on the situation. Just like if you were drinking. Plus they can do the driving, as drugs and driving dont mesh :)

David

Co-Founder
Well said SarahAnne.

Please refrain from anymore personal attacks in this thread or I'm going to close it. I'm ok with the discussion of MDMA and Remicade taking place, but let's just provide factual information and/or anecdotes.

And for the record, you can "Ignore" other members. Go to "Settings" at the top of your screen and then "Ignore" or just go here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Thank you :)

KWalker

Weight loss. Unfortunately, that's not a symptom of the Crohn's for me. I lost 90 pounds with the help of phentermine and am at a good weight now. However, I recently quit smoking (yay me!) and gained 10 pounds. I'm back on phentermine to keep me from gaining more (and hopefully lose this 10).

Good for you that's awesome to overcome that! I could only imagine how hard it would be. I'm sure in due time you'll be back up to your goal weight :)

SarahAnne- I agree in the sense that we should provide curious people with the proper information so they can be as safe as possible and I'm no admin or moderator here but the crohnsforum doesn't condone any sort of illegal drug use. Although most of us are, there are some younger individuals on here that look up to us as role models so when they see us talk about it only makes them more curious to experiment themselves. I'm not disagreeing with what people are saying but that's the problem with the dangers of these drugs is unless they are prescribed, the individual really has no idea as to what kinds of dangerous chemicals are really in the drug. Then of course, the constant JohnnyO trying to make attacks at me because he tries to defend recreational drug use. I'm only trying to help.

Sadly, prescribed drugs are statistically far more deadly than any of the so-called recreational drugs, and many people self medicate when they are in need. I have a young step-sister whose friend died after being prescribed anti-depressants. When I researched it I was appalled at how common that was. I know the rest of her crowd have dabbled in MDMA use (and other things that I'm sure she hasn't told me) and have survived, and moved on.

As far as I know the issue with MDMA is the undesirable increase in the number of serotonin receptors that occurs with long term use. I am not aware of any particular interactions with Remicade.
There are double standards and hypocrisy when it comes to accepted drugs like alcohol, tobacco, even caffeine, and the vast array of prescription meds widely doled out (eg benzodiazepines.) I wish there could be more free discussion about the highly stigmatized medications commonly used, as education is vital.

I am currently on Remicade (Infliximab in UK) and i have taken MDMA whilst on it. I have taken it many times previous to being on this treatment without any adverse effects, but the couple times i took it whilst on this treatment it DID NOT agree with me. My friends all had some from the same batch and were fine, i was the only one it didnt agree with. I cannot prove it was down to being on Infliximab, but that was the only differentiating factor occuring to previous usage. I do not condem drug usage in any way or form and am personally struggling with an addiction to prescritption and non prescritpion substances. I would not reccomend any recreational drug usage whilst on Infliximab/Remicade.
And to KWalker - seriously mate can you come back down from your own back passage and check in to reality puleeez? There is absolutely nothing wrong with working in retail - after all who would sell you the bibs you need to catch all that shite that comes out your mouth!!! Thats a bit of a low blow for people that work in that industry.

KWalker

I have absolutely nothing against people working in retail. My mom actually works in retail herself.

Well then why diss it?? You shoudnt 'categorise' 'addicts' as working in any kind of industry - after all you dont know anyones personal circumstances and whether they have chosen to work in that position or not! Does your 'mommy' know you presumed the line of work she is in was all a 'drug addict' could manage - get a grip you ignoramus, presumption is a bad asumption. You should take into consideration the people on your way up because your gonna meet them on your way back down pal!!

Hi everyone, I have crohns and I am starting my course or humira this week. However one thing I look forward to every year is a good festival and I have always enjoyed a dabble in ecstacy whilst partying, it has never caused me any harm before other than the obvious come down, but worried if humira n ecstacy are a really bad mix. So I'm looking foursome advice from everyone that has mixed the two together... Did it cause u any serious damage, did u enjoy it still. Thank you :ybiggrin::p:p

@bex89

If you are worrying about mixing the two drugs, then you shouldn't really be taking MDMA. The worry may lead to anxiety when you are on it - which won't damage you, but won't be very nice!

The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is that because Humira can reduce your immune system, the extra strain on your body from taking the MDMA (and staying up extra hours, not eating, not drinking enough) might lead to increased chance of infections.

Thanks, I just want to be able to enjoy myself, I don't do it all the time infact I can't even remember the last time I did do it. But it does make a festival for me. Il defiantly take into account about staying up and eating and drinking less and take more care when I do it this time. I just wanted to get advice from people in the same boat as me n make sure the two drugs mixed haven't caused anyone any fatal damage

Thanks, I just want to be able to enjoy myself, I don't do it all the time infact I can't even remember the last time I did do it. But it does make a festival for me. Il defiantly take into account about staying up and eating and drinking less and take more care when I do it this time. I just wanted to get advice from people in the same boat as me n make sure the two drugs mixed haven't caused anyone any fatal damage
It's tricky to give advice because everyone is different and obviously because of the stigma attached to MDMA. If you know your own body and mind - and have friends who will look out for you - I'm sure you'll be fine.

As a side note, I'd like to see drugs like MDMA investigated for their use in treating IBDs like Crohn's (maybe they already have?). The fact that they are serotonin producers and that 90% of the body's serotonin lives in the gut makes me wonder if they'd be beneficial in some way…

Fatal events such as? I'm in two minds about this humira
Fatal events is advertising speak for Death. I hope your doctor went over all the side effects of humira and you are having your blood checked monthly. A little pure MDMA most likely won't cause you any problems. I'd be more worries about the toxicity of humira.

Johnny, my doctor went over it rather brightly, I have researched about it on line and it did terrified the shit out of me and anitially I backd out of the treatment until they talked me back into it and iam having my first lot of injections tomorrow. do u mind me asking. Are u on humira or have u ever been?

Jer

The first problem I see is assuming MDMA and Ecstasy are the same compound.

I'm no saint, I've done my fair share of things that society might not look at at "normal" or "good", but whatever, we all live our own lives.

Anyway....lol......There are plenty of pressed tabs out there that are "ecstasy". I've taken my fair share (not in about a decade, but spent quite a few nights at Tunnel, Twilo, Sound Factory back in the day). There are plenty of different "ecstasy's" out there. It all depends on what its cut with.

MDMA aka Molly can be found in powdered form and IF you are getting it legit, then at least you know what you are taking.

When it comes down to it, know your source.

Be smart, start small, stay hydrated, have fun.

Hi everyone, doing some topic digging here.
I have been diagnosed with Cröhn's Disease since 2011 and I'm on Remicade (5mg/kg) every 8 weeks since 2012. My clinic state is way better with the remicade. I spent 6 months without cigarettes, but unfortunately I fell back in it since 2 or 3 month.

Now about mdma, I went to a party last week-end and I was proposed some mdma aka ecstasy aka whatever your want. I'm not into hard drugs at all ( i'm pretty sensitive to weed, which i don't like) but at that time it felt like a little experience.
It was in a crystal form, pretty white so it seemed clean. I took half a dose ( 0.1mg i think). Kicked in about 30minutes, went down 5hours after. Besides the hangover hardly induced by the alcohol I took that night, I felt perfectly fine regarding the digestive system. Little diarrhea the next day, but i think alcohol made its effect..

I've read this and that about remicade and ecstasy, actually I checked out online to see if it had any really bad interaction just before taking the E.
The only tiny pain I felt from time to time is related to cigarrettes for me since I smoked a pack during that night ( usually i smoke 5 or 6 daily ).
But that pain I can manage. ( I lost around 30kg in a month 2 years ago from my crohn's, incredible pain, so a little stomach ache almost seems like nothing now).

I was exhausted after the night because I did not sleep, took some bottle that's made for hangovers, and I felt full or energy for the next 3 days, little problem sleeping though.

Now this post DOES NOT promote mdma and remicade, I did my own test, took the risk and honestly I don't believe it's worth it. The problem being that you can't always know with what it was cut with. I would not recommend it, however if you still want to try it out, I would recommend taking half a dose, it worked for me and I'm pretty cautious about my health so I did not want to get my jaws clenching and doing a bad trip.

That was my 2cts, excuse my english, i'm french =D

I was a regular, recreational MDMA user while first diagnosed (2000) and using Remicade. I did it twice a week for many years. No bad effects from mixing the two.

Okay so I've only been diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis like 6 months ago.

I'm currently on:
Prednisolone (small dose,hopefully coming off soon)
Asacol
Azathioprine

I'm curious at whether MDMA mixed with azathioprine will cause any harm?

I've taken MDMA many occasions at festivals etc over the past 3 years so my body isn't new to it.

I would wait a while as I'm still in a bit of a flare up... But I have a big rave lined up that's been planned for a long time, drinking won't really be the same!

So yea any advice on the mixing the drug azathioprine?

Thanks

im on aza and remicade and have done it a few times to no ill effects, but I would recommend avoiding it.. I definitely felt some pain afterwards. try get well first.

Okay so I'm back.

I decided not to touch anything at the rave and just stick to drink (mainly as I was on the pred still and I know that's quite a powerful drug).

I'm now on just Aza and Asacol, in remission and feeling pretty good.

It's my birthday this Saturday and I have a big night planned with mates (there will be ecstasy). I think I might take some and see how it goes, obviously I'll be careful.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Will

Hey man,

I'm 23 and using Remicade as the only treatment for my Crohns.

I've been doing large amounts of pure MDMA and other recreational drugs almost every weekend for the last year and a half. Never had a flare up issue in regards to it, just the same old side effects any regular person would get.

Then again, you're talking about ecstasy pills? Anything could be cut into them, they are a minefield of potential hazards.

Either way, the only way to find out for sure is to try. Just give your friends a heads up that it may potentially harm you, be safe and responsible. Other than that, have fun and happy birthday.

Thanks for the birthday messages everyone... Much appreciated!

Blaine that puts my mind at ease, I'm actually 23 on Saturday, I've been diagnosed with crohns/colitis but yea I'm not flared up at the moment.

It will be pills yes, and I know you're right... It's always a roulette.

I'm actually debating whether to do them now... Only as I'm going to Cancun for Spring Break in 3 weeks and want to make sure I'm well for that.

I'll just play it by ear Saturday.

My family are the only people who know at the moment... A bit complacent telling my mates atm... I'm sure you know what I mean.

If I take them Saturday I'll end up telling a mate who I've done pills with plenty of times before in the past... We're pretty sensible when we take them anyway (bit ironic yes I know).

rygon

The only thing I can think of is a lot of dancing may cause some stomach problems (exercise always gets me if strenuous), as well as alcohol.

Just take it easy and have fun. Happy Birthday :)

I'm wondering if anyone's taken LSD while on Remicade. It was my birthday last weekend, I hadn't ever taken LSD before and gave it a shot (psilocybin twice in the past, though). I didn't trip. I'm not sure if it was because the hits were two years old - although my friend took one not two months earlier and had a good time - or it's just my own biochemistry, but then I got to thinking it could be due to the Remicade. Any information is welcome and helpful. Thanks!

I don't think remicade would stop it from working.. They were probably old, just be careful, I had some tabs that didn't work once over a few days, then that next weekend I ate two and they were both fresh, it wasn't a pleasant experience! But it's important to realise you never know what's going to happen when you mix illicit substances with medication because they simply aren't going to trial for any interactions.. For obvious reasons.

LOL, this is what I thought when reading. I don't get why people even get the urge to try these things.

I took mdma two days before my first remicade infusion. I was restarting remicade, and I've done ecstacy before, which is a little different than mdma. I also took it again another time after that. Anyway, nothing bad happened. It didn't feel any different. Just know your source, and if it's your first time, watch how you react closely.

My mother had Crohns and ulcerative colitis, battled with it in pain for years trying everything to ease her pain. My personal theory is that gmo foods plays a huge role in this disease. (Just my opinion). My mother recently passed away after being in "remission". It was brought to my attention that she may have chosen to consume MDMA or some form of ecstasy leading to her death. It is terrifying to think that she died that way. The hole thing was so horrific and tragic. We need more forums for people to discuss rec drug use as well as other drugs more candidly. To learn what not to use. As someone who has tried MDMA as well as a couple different forms of ecstasy(which is MDmA mixed with something, usually a stimulant). I would have told my mother to stay away from it, because i remember how my stomach felt a month after. Not to say that all will be fine or all will be sick, just please use caution when using anything in conjunction with a severe medical issue.

As for these people arguing, this is a forum about crohns not on who is smarter or who is rude. People need to ask these questions where they receive honest answers without judgments. How else will people learn?

From my personal use and my mom's recent tragic death, i would suggest to stay away from taking ecstasy when you have such a hard time digesting things to begin with. Not to mention taking ecstasy when you also may be taking a myriad of other pharemcuticals.

What what goes in to your stomach. At all costs.