• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Me and my Crohn's

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease on November 26, 2013, by a colonoscopy that I had on November 8, 2013. I was and am 30 years old. Prior to Crohn's, the doctors told me that I had IBS. I think that is what many doctors tell people with intestinal problems when they aren't sure what's wrong.

Anyway, I had active symptoms for a few months prior. Back in 2009, I had blood work done that showed Crohn's, but with that colonoscopy I had in 2009, Crohn's wasn't showing up. So even then, I had symptoms of something wrong with my colon.

Right now the doctors tell me that I have both Crohn's and IBS. I still don't understand how one can have both. And I also don't understand how doctors know that one has both IBS and IBD. Does anyone else have both?

My current Crohn's medications are Aza and Remicade. I had my last loading dose of Remicade in March. I go back for my next infusion on May 19th.

I don't feel that the medications are managing my Crohn's all too well. I get pains in my gut daily, and I have loose stool every day. Thankfully I don't usually go more than four times a day.

I'm still trying to find foods that don't aggravate me. I learned that I cannot eat lettuce, tomato soup, a spaghetti sauce that my mom makes, popcorn, and corn. I learned the hard way. Boy do I really miss those foods!

I hope this is a good introduction.

:sign0085:

I also did not think that you could have both... but some people on here say they do and say their gi diagnosed them with both so as far as I know its possible to have both. (nightmare right?)
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=62437
there are a lot of treatments that dont work for certain patients make sure you doctor knows you dont feel like things are better.
I am not diagnosed yet but most veggies and grains I eat go undigested, I am also lactose intolerant, i have gerd(no spice no grease) and since ive been sick cant eat too much red meat. Taking food out of your diet is extremely hard but you can do it! :) I also went caffeine free and gluten free for a bit... I still dont consume that much caffeine it makes me go to the loo more.

:sign0144:

Very much a nightmare! It makes it harder to figure out what is causing what issues! Grrrr...

Try a food diary write down what you eat and how you respond to it I am sure it will help you decide whats wrong and right ibs wise. Your situation is so confusing due to having two issues with very similar symptoms...

Welcome to the forum its really helped me :) theres a lot of good information on here and a really nice community! I hope you get to feeling better soon.

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Hey there RenGen -- whereabouts in Wisconsin are you from? I used to live in Madison for about nine years, and my wife was born and raised in central Wisco -- I get out there from time to time to see my in-laws. Actually, I was visiting them when I first was flaring, but pre-diagnosis! It wasn't the best Christmas vacation I've had. ;)

Anyways, I'm also chiming in to let you know that keeping a food diary is a great idea -- use it to track what you eat and how you feel, and you may start to see some patterns. In addition, if you are currently flaring, you may find that you are better able to eat a wider variety of foods in the future once your Crohn's is under control. My diet was pretty limited when I first got sick, but for the past year I was pretty much able to eat anything I wanted, within reason. Right now, I'm trying to take it easy as I may be dealing with some new inflammation, and I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor.

I wish you the best of luck -- you'll find that the board is very helpful and it has tons of useful info from people's individual experiences, but if it seems overwhelming, don't let it freak you out! A lot of what you read on this forum is coming from a lot of people who are having a tougher time at the moment, which is totally understandable; you just need to keep in mind that the people who are doing well or have gone into remission don't tend to update nearly as much. Take care and keep us updated on how you're doing!!

Hello. Nice to meet you. I live just outta Green Bay. I was born and raised in Green Bay. I haven't moved too far.

I need to get on the food diary. I know it would benefit me, as I'm sure it has benefited many others. I must always be in a flare, because I can't eat some foods ever, since I have been diagnosed with Crohn's. :(

Thank you! I'll keep you all updated. I hope you're doing well!