• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mederma gel for scars?

nogutsnoglory

I saw a commercial for what I believe is a topical cream called Mederma that promises to reduce the size and color of surgical scars. Has anyone tried it?

Tried Mederma without any success (don't believe it is of any use.)
Bio Oil I agree is great.
There is a product called Cica-Care, an adhesive sheet, which is what I would use now.

nogutsnoglory

I don't know if there is a difference yet but find some peeling and flaking on my scars. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Our daughter fell and split her forehead over a year ago. She had 6 stitches on the inner layer and 10 on the surface. We used mederma consistently for the first 6 months, and sporadically since. I would say her scar is much lighter than it probably would have been without it. You can see it, but it's no the first thing you see when you look at her. I had stitches many years ago and we didn't have anything like that, and I will say her scar is already much lighter than mine.