• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Medical alert bracelets for Crohn's Disease?

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
so in my research ive found that people with crohns should have a medical alert bracelet that says you have crohns. does anyone here have ine or do you really need one and if you do where would you get one?

also what color are the rubber bracelets that are for support, ive found some say blue while others say purple...and i wanna get one!also what are they supposed to say on them?

i used to have the blue rubber wristband too, but i lost it!

don't quote me on this, but i don't think anyone on the forum has a medical alert bracelet for crohn's. i have a card in my wallet with medical contact info and drug info, though. i think alert jewelry is more for conditions that EMTs or whoever MUST know when treating you, like a severe allergy or a bleeding disorder. again, don't quote me. but maybe depending on the meds you're on or the severity of you're crohn's, it would be a good idea. ask your doc! if you do decide you want/need one, there are lots of websites that will charge you mildly to extremely exorbitant prices for them!

i started a thread on this a little while ago, Tabathe - http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=5514&highlight=medic

i think if you have allergies which give you more than a mild reaction, then it's a good idea to wear one of these bracelets or necklaces.. on the information sheet which came with mine, Crohn's wasn't one of the conditions they strongly recommend people have them for, but it's up to you - it's not a bad idea.

I think blue is specifically for Crohn's and purple is for any type of gastrointestinal disorder so it could include things like colon cancer.

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
Thats awesome i want one that says got guts lol do you have to order them offline tho because i dont have a credit card and neither does my mom...so do you think any stores would have them... i may have to invest in looking to find one SOMEWHERE ^.^ heh. where did you guys get yours?

someone gave me my wristband when i did the Take Steps 5K last year. I think if you join CCFA (ie, pay membership fees) they send you one for free. And I'm pretty sure you can buy them online! Join your local CCFA chapter and they'll probably send you one.

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
i went to their website but it costs like 15 bucks a month! plus you need a credit card and i dun have one and neither does my mom. is there a way to get on it without paying?

my surgeons office once had a display that had pamphlets and those bracelets in it. keychains or something too.
i dont think they were crohns specific, just something colon.

look out for them to be in doc's offices, spoon