• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sticky Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

Thanks for the replies!

rj- I feel as though I would be and am mature enough to not be one of those kids, however, when people find out you smoke, you instantly get that rep from people. If I were to start it would be PURELY for medical reasons. Also, I assumed my doctor wouldn't be like "Hey, why don't you try smoking pot!", but it's never been even mentioned.

Johnny - I am trying to get into being an automotive tech. I had just applied for a job at a dealership, and they did a hair drug test, which goes back 6 months. I have never been on pain pills before. But you're right, if nothing else is working, it's something to be put into consideration.

As far as growing it myself. If I did ever start smoking, as nice as growing it myself sounds (I know what goes into it, and I get a lot more for what I pay) I don't think I would. I know it's hard to grow, and it takes a lot of time. I also live in an apartment and know growing has a VERY strong odor so it's kind of out of the question.

Anywho, it will be something I take into consideration. I will be doing a lot more research and browsing.

For the most part, my use of cannabis is kept quiet. I have no need for people whom I work for, or associates on a professional basis to be in that business of my life. I am not afraid to educate people about it however, but of course I don't just go telling everyone my private life.

Those kids will always be categorized as "pot heads" or whatever you want to call them. I call them low lifes. They choose to be bums. Its up to you to control your own life, ya know.

I love that your thinking about it, and interested in the subject. Definitely look more into it. Of course if there's anyone who's interested in sharing anything else, thats why I joined up!!

KWalker

Sorry if the answer is somewhere in the thread, but is there any medical evidence that medical marijuana actually helps crohns or does it just calm the symptoms? Like, could anyone actually say they're in remission strictly because of M.M.? I've always been against smoking marijuana just because of the smell, the high, and the stigma that follows as someone has said before but if you could actually take it in other forms (IE: eating, etc) then I would actually consider giving it a try if it had medical evidence.

David

Co-Founder
Sorry if the answer is somewhere in the thread, but is there any medical evidence that medical marijuana actually helps crohns or does it just calm the symptoms? Like, could anyone actually say they're in remission strictly because of M.M.? I've always been against smoking marijuana just because of the smell, the high, and the stigma that follows as someone has said before but if you could actually take it in other forms (IE: eating, etc) then I would actually consider giving it a try if it had medical evidence.
Please see the studies I linked to in the first post of the thread. Example:

Cannabis use is associated with a reduction in Crohn's disease (CD) activity and disease-related surgeries, according to the results of a retrospective observational study published in the August issue of the Journal of the Israeli Medical Association.
:)

And yes, medical marijuana can be eaten.

KWalker

Ah, first post.. I should have atleast read that lol..

Sorry, and thanks.. I don't want to go back on medicine, so maybe I'll talk to my doctor and see if this would be an option. I'm not even sure if it's legal in Ontario to be honest. I'd have to look into that.

David

Co-Founder
Just keep in mind that medical marijuana IS a medicine. There's potential side effects like everything. Research it thoroughly like any medication and make an informed choice.

KWalker

Oh yes, I definitely agree. I would absolutely have to have an in-depth conversation with a few people including my doctor about this to weigh out the pros and cons. For me, the main reason would be for the diarrhea and frequent visits because as of right now, that would be my only symptom. I've tried a few things from store shelves from it and haven't had much luck.

My Experience with Medical Cannabis

Hello All,

I found this thread while searching for Marijuana and Ulcerative Colitis, in Google.

I'm currently in a flare after two and a half years of no Colitis symptoms whatsoever. I'm treating this flare exactly as I did the last one I had (June of '09), with Cannabis.

I just turned 50 and aside from some infrequent use in my late teens, was not a marijuana user. After my third Colitis flare in 12 years, I found traditional treatment for UC had become ineffective. When my Gastro. doc started kicking around the idea of surgery, I decided to listen to my GP who had actually suggested medical Marijuana 8 months earlier.

Since I live in California, it was a simple form from my GP that made me legal. I was fortunate to find a strain of Thai that completely wiped out my UC symptoms within four days. It turns out that Thai (this particular strain, anyway) is high in CBD's, which are most effective in controlling this disease.

Fast forward to last week, when I hadn't ingested any cannabis whatsoever in nearly 9 months, and my symptoms returned. I wasn't able to find any Thai at all until yesterday, so I'm hopeful that I'll be on the mend in just a few days. Wish me luck.

Now, I see in this thread that people are questioning whether to smoke or eat in order to deliver the CBD's to the gut, I will say this... I smoke it, as that's the best way for me to control just how much I take in. While I agree that eating it is probably technically the best way to deliver the cbd's where needed, it's just too much of an unknown for me. I'm a lightweight and two hits from a pipe is all I need, eating it would be just too much for me.

More to come...

Cheers All!

Chuck

I live in Michigan where medical marijuana is legal, to bad my DD is 4. I would love to reduce her stress, inflammation and possibly pain using a safer route than the morphine they told me they could give her. I am going to research Simpson oil and see if I can get approval for her to use it. A long shot buy worth a try.

Hi, I am new to this site, found it during one of my many 'crohn's and medical marijuana' google searches. I am 21 and have had Crohn's since I was 15. I have tried so many different medications and treatments and been offered some others which i have turned down. Some work in the short term (despite horrible side effects) , some do not work at all and some just don't seem worth it.

About a year ago I went to Amsterdam with some friends, and enjoyed smoking some Marijuana! When i got home i did some research and found that it could be a good treatment for Crohn's. I carried on medicating and have noticed great improvements, I just feel more normal.

I live in the UK, which is bad for MM as our laws regarding weed are absurd! I don't have too much trouble getting my hands on the herb, but it would be much better if i could get regulated supply from a dispensary or home grown.

Been very interesting and informative reading everyones story's and anecdotes on this thread.

Also with the fact it is illegal over here I have to basically keep it under wraps, I still live with my parents and don't think they would react well, so have to hide it from them.

I smoke pretty regularly to keep symptoms at bay, but also if i am not feeling well i can have a joint and it normally makes me feel much better!

For a while now i have been treating my Crohn's myself, using Marijuana, 100% Aloe Vera Juice (look into it, it is meant to be a good supplement for suffers) and I also like to supplement my diet with protein shakes to give me extra nutrients, protein and calories!

Herb is the future for us and for the world in general!

Hope everyone is well

For a while now i have been treating my Crohn's myself, using Marijuana, 100% Aloe Vera Juice (look into it, it is meant to be a good supplement for suffers) and I also like to supplement my diet with protein shakes to give me extra nutrients, protein and calories! l
In my late 50's and medicate exactly as you show, with the exception that as a legal grower and user in canada i have access to a strain of MJ that works
miracles for me.
Discovered the aloe 10 years back and it has done wonders to stabe my condition and avoid the knife.

What can those in need of pot in the UK do? Become active, let your MP
and doctor know . . and see if you can get Marinol prescribed (no longer on the shelf in canada, stopped making it) which is synthetic MJ.

Researchers in California and Israel have found pot offers huge benefits when the entire plant is 'juiced' and consumed. Bad news is no 'high' results as heat is needed to make THC affect the mind. Youtube has some excellent stuff on juice cannabanoids.

I don't use MJ myself and don''t need it for pain as I have celiac and control it with diet. But I certainly can understand the use for people living with Crohn's or cancer or other painful conditions. Anyway, I noticed this article the other day on Yahoo about Washington, DC approving MMJ. Seems there are going to be 6 locations in the city where it can be grown. With the cost of medical pain relief drugs being so high these days it seems like a lower cost non-toxic pain control alternative makes sense.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/30/six-applicants-selected-grow-marijuana-dc/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

In my late 50's and medicate exactly as you show, with the exception that as a legal grower and user in canada i have access to a strain of MJ that works
miracles for me.

Discovered the aloe 10 years back and it has done wonders to stabe my condition and avoid the knife.

see if you can get Marinol prescribed (no longer on the shelf in canada, stopped making it) which is synthetic MJ.
What strain do you use? I am interested to find out the best ones to treat Crohn's.

Also tell me about your aloe? I use the juice and have it in the morning and before bed, tastes vile but seems to help me out and no side effects like prescription meds so all good!

Also could you tell me more about Marinol?

Sorry about all the questions! Thanks :)

Just an FYI the book "breaking the vicious cycles" says aloe caused increased TNF. I was using it for my DD. I got scared when I read that being she is on remicade and they contradict each other so I stopped using it all together. I am glad it helps you though.

What strain do you use? I am interested to find out the best ones to treat Crohn's.

Also tell me about your aloe? I use the juice and have it in the morning and before bed, tastes vile but seems to help me out and no side effects like prescription meds so all good!

Also could you tell me more about Marinol?

Sorry about all the questions! Thanks :)
Marinol is synthetic THC. THC is one of over 80 different canabinoids in Marijuana. Marinol may increase appetite but is inferior to the whole plant in my opinion. I personally didn't care
For marinol although it would be a legitimate excuse for failing a marijuana drug test.

wondering

My 8 year old has had UC for over a year now and a very severe case of it! She's been on Remicade, sulfasalazine, Prednisolone, Metronidazole, and other countless meds. Yet she's still been hospitalized 4 times this past year and had 3 blood transfusions. I'm really debating the medical marijuana issue with her since none of her meds seem 2help. Am I a bad parent for that? I just want her to be able to live a somewhat normal life......

My 8 year old has had UC for over a year now and a very severe case of it! She's been on Remicade, sulfasalazine, Prednisolone, Metronidazole, and other countless meds. Yet she's still been hospitalized 4 times this past year and had 3 blood transfusions. I'm really debating the medical marijuana issue with her since none of her meds seem 2help. Am I a bad parent for that? I just want her to be able to live a somewhat normal life......
First of all I am so sorry to hear your daughter is ill, it must be so hard for you both but just be strong for her and things will get better.

This in no way makes you a bad parent, you are just desperate and willing to consider anything that would make your daughter feel better, a good parent would seem a better choice of words!

Whilst I would recommend Medical Marijuana for any adult with Crohn's, I don't know enough about it to suggest you try it with your daughter. Its psychoactive properties may not be good for such a young person. However I am not sure, so do a lot of research and talk to people about it. If you decided to go down that route then using the herb to cook with would be the best option, like making brownies using it. Think carefully and do your research.

Hope your daughter gets better soon, our prayers are with her

Keep us posted

Sfong, I too thought about the same thing for my 4 Yr old DD. Seems like a better alternative than the morphine that they gave us an option for pain control. We didn't do either in fear of the stigma of mm and the side effects of the morphine. I don't think there is anything wrong with you wanting to help your kid with pain, stress, and appetite.

Here in Michigan in the US. We are a legal state. We can get her mm card with 2 doctors approving the use. I might be going down this road if needed also.

My best to you and yours. Take care.

I'm still waiting for Kansas to legalize medical use. I still use and it helps with nausea and increased appetite. As far as some people who have paranoia because of it. I think if you have anxiety already and smoke it just makes it worse. I've been smoking for many years though so I don't have much paranoia anymore. I function normally and people don't even notice that I've been smoking.

Sfong,

I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate events your little child has endured... Being diagnosed at the age of 12. I know what it's like to grow up with frequent trips to the hospital, flare ups, and Prednisone (which stunted my growth) The feeling of being trapped is a terrible one and neither you nor your child should have to feel that way...

Just an idea I thought of while thinking of your issue would be trying alternative route's of Cannabis. Let me go right off and say you are NOT a bad parent WHAT So EVER. Every bit of pain your child encounters, i'm sure it doubles in you.. But what I am getting at is their are things like Cannabutter, and Cannaoil that can be administered in edibles, and you can control how potent, and the type of flower you use..

If you look for the flower's with higher CBD count in them, they are more beneficial for the stomach. I don't want to get to far into it, only because there are boundaries to this talk, but just remember.... Every flower is different, and though they have beneficial properties, you can find one suited just for your needs.

I don't see a harm and creating a little batch of cookies to let your little one have, and see how it feels.

To me.... You are an even greater parent to look outside societies unrealistic laws and find a beneficial plan to help your child.

Hope everything takes a turn for the better.. and Please.. Keep us updated :)

We don't have Marijuana in Egypt we do have Hashish which is illegal but still everyone uses it with little to no troubles with the law, over here its like an open secret. In the past before I got sick or diagnosed I only tried it occasionally but after the pain started I started to smoke it for pain relief and to my surprise it works wonders, it makes the pain less and makes it easier for me to go to the bathroom. Now I would mostly smoke some in the morning to handle my morning diarrhea pain and during bad cramps and some before I go to sleep to minimize the chance of waking up in pain in the middle of the night.

Nothing else worked with me, when I go to the hospital I'm given morphine which I hate cause it makes me more dizzy and it gives me a headache. The doctor tried to prescribe me Tramadol but I stopped him cause here in Egypt people widely abuse it, its the most addictive drug we have currently in Egypt, half of the population is addicted to it.

To further muddy the waters, some sub-species of cannabis have levels of a newly discovered medical component known as THCV. Remember, israeli scientists only isolated THC as a compound in 1969 and no research of any type is allowed by American
Antidrug Treaties. The gov't routinely blocks access to the base substance material to any agencies which attempt to do research in fear that a positive result be published.

Subspecies high in THCV have been bred in Holland and California, one such variety is called 'Jack the Ripper' (silly/stupid names, i agree) The Chronic and Green Crack.

FWIW i have been able to avoid hospital stays and major flares for 3 years now while
ingesting medpot grow under my own federal license.

Would i give it to my own underaged kids? Too tough a question and one i hope to never have to deal with. Pain and suffering is horrible, imho anything that helps should be considered but legal implications need be considered as well.

Hello hello all. I figured I would throw my two cents in as I am 25 years old and have been living with Crohn's since I was 18. Also, I was the recipient of a liver transplant just over three years ago so needless to say I've experienced some unpleasantries. To anyone struggling with their condition and are reluctant to try using cannabis I say cast your reservations aside and get yourself properly medicated with some marijuana. Without a doubt, bar none marijuana is the single best option for alleviating my Crohn's. When I experience my abdominal pain I can take 15mg of oxycodone and still be in pain all the while giving my liver a workout. A little bit of some quality medicine and I forget that I have intestines. The social stigmas associated with marijuana are preposterous. The fact that there is still a bit of a taboo surrounding is just absurd, the myths and misconceptions affiliated with marijuana are rooted in racism and economics. If you do not have a problem with consuming alcohol you should not even think twice about using marijuana. The difference is just staggering as alcohol is poison that ruins lives, families and communities. Remember prohibition? In my experience Bubba Kush works the best. Everyone is different just like with pain medications like opiates, different forms work differently for everyone but if your dealing with abdominal issues your going to want to stick to strains that are in the INDICA family. Those in that family are known for producing a narcotic "stoned" state as opposed to a more cerebral, psychedelic "high" feeling seen with strains in the SATIVA family. Great strains such as Sour Diesel, Green Crack, some of the haze strains may be better for recreation but not for relieving your symptoms. I would recommend pretty much anything in the Kush family including OG Kush which isn't actually a true kush. I also find that the purple strains are effective. Granddaddy Purple, a notorious strain here in New England is a good example. Aight, don't panic it's organic.

MM was the only thing that enabled me to eat during my undiagnosed year. Since then it has enabled me to look forward to my evening meal and relax afterwards even when the disease is active. It has certainly reduced my (still heavy) reliance on other medications. The great thing is it is not chemically addictive so it doesn't bother me if it is not there - except for the lack of the positive benefits it brings. If Remicade or Humira get me into full remission I won't need it. Don't drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or do any non-prescription drugs, just want to be well.

Hi All,

Just came across this thread...in the midst of a bad flare (after 8 months of remission that came from starting 6mp last June). I am frustrated that the 6mp isn't working anymore and really do not want to be put on steroids again or moved to Remicade/Humira (both scare me more than 6mp does).

I am interested in trying to use MM as a supplemental treatment for my Crohn's symptoms (mostly frequent bloody, painful diarrhea). I have smoked pot socially/at parties here and there since high school but am hoping for some advice on how to transition to using it as a medicine with the best chances of helping my CD symptoms:
1. How much should you smoke? Usually one or two puffs gets me high. Don't want to get all paranoid but want to use enough to make a difference.
2. How often should you smoke? once per day? more?
3. What is the best method of ingestion? Sounds like vaporizing or ingesting is better than smoking. I have never even heard of vaporizing before reading these threads. Any advice would be appreciated.
4. What strain is best for CD?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated so I know how to get the best bang for my buck. I thankfully live in a state that has MM so am going to apply as soon as I can get my GI doc to sign off.

1. How much should you smoke? Usually one or two puffs gets me high. Don't want to get all paranoid but want to use enough to make a difference.
2. How often should you smoke? once per day? more?
3. What is the best method of ingestion? Sounds like vaporizing or ingesting is better than smoking. I have never even heard of vaporizing before reading these threads. Any advice would be appreciated.
4. What strain is best for CD?
1 - Don't smoke. Get a vaporizer or buy edibles. (Edibles are very strong so start off with taking tiny amounts until you know how you will react. Too much will make you wish you never ate any!)

2 - Don't overdo it. Do what is comfortable to you. When you use a vaporizer, depending on the type, one hit may be plenty.

3 - You are correct. A vaporizer and/or edibles are the best for your body. A vaporizer heats the plant material and releases the active compounds of the plant into vapors. It does not burn the plant so it is better for you.

4 - any strain that is higher in CBD's than THC. When you go into a dispensary they should be able to point you in the right direction.

:)

Ran across this forum sometime ago and decided to join up on my wifes behalf.

She was diagnosed with Crohn's almost two years ago now. She has been fortunate to not need any surgeries, but the medications and domino effect from having Crohn's have wrecked havoc not just on her body, but what sense of normal family life we had.

She has since pretty much stopped taken medications and seems to have gotten a lot of control over her body again. She was constantly fainting, having dizzy spells, no appetite and up to recently a loss of sense of who she is anymore. She is by no means back to being regular though. The pain and diaherria still rear their ugly heads.

Here in AZ, there is still the ongoing attempt to get MMJ out there. It has been voted in to be used, but there are still goverement delays in getting it out there.

Quite a ramble for a first time post I suppose, but just wanted let people I know it's hard to deal with, and I do support the use of MMJ. From what I've read, it can only help, and I hope it becomes legal. I would like my wife to be happy again, she won't be cured, but at least we can have some normalcy back in our life when things finally fall into place.

I live in a legal Cannabis state and have actually done a good deal of research on medicinal Cannabis. For those who are interested in this, a Cannabis Indica is usually the type that helps with stress and anxiety and also helps relax a person. Sativa is more for energy which can cause anxiety. If you live in a legal Cannabis place, get your authorization and talk to a Cannabis consultant or "bud tender" they really know their stuff.

Would just like to say that I have personally tried this method and received total relief from this. However, I do live in the bible belt (Georgia) and have wrote to my congressman many times regarding this to no avail. I am hopeful one day, but not anytime soon unfortunately.

If I was homebound, then I would consider taking this still, but I have a commercial drivers license and if I was ever in a major wreck where the other party was severely injured or killed, then I would have to take a drug test and since it stays in your system for so long then i just can't risk it.

I am happy for those that live where legal and just hope that in time it will expand because there are a lot of benefits for people with crohns and other diseases.

I put maybe a teaspoon or two of finely ground MM in my vaporizer and I would typically vape twice a day. I keep the MM in the vaporizer until it turns golden yellow, then I save it to cook with. :)

MJ is the only thing that's treated my symptoms (wonderfully). If my son (2) had UC that was symptomatically as challenging as mine, I would do whatever it took to get him MM. I would do edibles of VERY specific strains (feel free to email me as I know many strains that help. Simply getting some "bud" from a pot head or dealer is like going into a pharmacy and blindly picking pills. Many won't help, some will, and some will make it worse. I would start the dosage so low that it probably wouldn't work for a week, or so, as I SLOWLY increased the dosage. I would closely monitor all of his symptoms and his mental state for the rest of the day. Especially 20-90 minutes after eating and 8 hours following.

You can potentially treat your child's symptoms wonderfully with MM. Just be sure you don't MASK symtpoms 24/7. I did that like an idiot. Definitely need to be able to feel what's going wrong so if it works, just make sure there are plenty of breaks to pay attention to the symptoms (in case it gets worse).

If a parent can make their child feel better and take them OUT of something that a child should NEVER have to deal with, considering that option makes you a GREAT parent. I hope the best for your daughter. No child should have to deal with this -- and no parent should ever have to watch their child go through it. Fortunately, MM has the potential to really help the BOTH of you (her not go through so much discomfort, you not have to watch it so often).

Bobby

I'm 27, diagnosed a year ago. i have recreationally used Marijuana for about 10 years now, and as i got older i began to use it more responsibly. I no longer smoke it, and i only vape using the volvano/and use a tincture made from the left overs. When i was first doagnosed i was 120 libs. I'm a personal trainer, so people naturally thought that i was always dieting and exercising really hard. Now with the proper medication/ dosages of those meds i;m just now getting things under control. I will say now that i've gotten my weight up to 155 lbs and i would say i owe a lot of the weight gain to the Marijauna. I exercise everyday, and the amount of calories i need to consume is difficult to maintain, the pot definitely helps. sometimes the pain is so unbearable and percoset takes the edge off, but does nothing for my appetite. unfortunately i do not live in a state where it is legal to possess, but at my age, i have not found it difficult to find. Now that i have CD i really have learned to respect the drug as a medicine rather than as a tool for recreational fun. I would highly reccomend experimenting with friends in a safe fun environment. If it helps....great...if not....at least you gave it a shot and got over the social propoganda that is associated with its usage. good luck fellow crohnies!
dx: CD feb 2012
10 mg prednisone
1 mg clonezapam
20 mg celexa
10/325 percoset prn for pain( usually 2/day)
1 volcano bag before each meal/or 15 drops tincture
no resections as of yet

Has anyone on here ever been prescribed or tried Marinol? Is it even still available and if so is it legal in states where MM isn't? I have tried doing a little research on it but can't find a lot. The stuff I did find some people said a lot of the properties that are in the real stuff are left out and so it's not as good. They also say that it is mainly prescribed to cancer patients. Just wondering if anyone here had anything good or bad to say about it.

I took it for a few days and didn't like it. It contains no CBD, just pure synthetic THC. Many of the medicinal properties of cannabis are in the CBD.

Marinol is available in all 50 states as far as I know, and is prescribed for nausea due to chemotherapy. It's not even worth it cost wise compared
To the whole plant. It's worth a try if you can't get buds.

I would appreciate it if you would let me know the strains that you have found effective.
You bet :)

Insomnia: True OG and Fire OG never let me down. I have had insomnia for about 15 years and these work wonders for me. Many heavy indicas that put others to sleep only make me drousy. So I lay in bed tired -- but awake. These two are potent enough to knock me out. I have heard amazing things about Kosher Kush -- hope to try that soon. There are PLENTY of knock you out strains -- just depends on how knocked out you need to be in order to fall asleep :)

Appetite: I think this is too specific and depends on how awful your appetite is. I personally have had success with more strains ever since switching to my volcano vaporizer -- before that only a few helped (and helped very little) since my appetite was so poor. Before that, most indicas got me starving pretty quickly. I've been finding some strains recommended for people nearly wasting away on chemo -- so I'll be trying those out soon. If you (or someone) need(s) strong appetite help, let me know and I'll search for them again and post.

Hunger pain relief: I don't know about others, but I get nagging hunger pains constantly. Sometimes they are crippling and worse freak me out like kidney stones did. Used to only get them in the morning, but now it is constant. I use CBD strains mixed with Jack Herer during the day. This helps me a lot. Harlequin is my current CBD of choice. I never MASK the symptoms -- I only take breaks from them. Don't fall into the temptation to treat the symptoms 24/7 if MMJ works for you.

Inflammation: CBD strains are key for this. Harlequin, CBD rich ATF (not common in SD), Omrita rx3, cannotonic/cannatonic... CBD's also help me sleep LONGER (so my hunger pains don't wake me up) and help a lot with general discomfort all around. Definitely help my stomach pains. Sometimes completely relieves them.

Stressed: I had no clue how incredible MMJ could be for managing stress. I don't want to MASK my stress and act like it doesn't exist by getting stoned all day, but when you have a disease that is closely related to your stress levels, it can't hurt to take true stress breaks. I make sure that every other day, I have a solid hour to do nothing. Just sit, think of nothing, and laugh at something on TV. If it's during the day, I use Jack Herer. Makes me feel extra creative, more focused, and gives me energy. It does EXACTLY what Red Bulls claim to do (for me, at least). Most importantly, whatever was stressing me, just goes away. It's almost going on a fast to allow your digestive track a break. Same thing. The same way you let your guy check out during a fast, Jack Herer lets my stress level check out -- and an hour of that every other day is great for UC, imo. Usually, however, I do this at night (during the day when our son has his 2-3 hour nap) as I like to use the Fire OG, relax for an hour on the couch, and then fall asleep peacefully.

The awesome thing about the Fire OG is it allows you to fall asleep if you want OR stay up for an hour and relax. And since I think that CONSCIOUS relaxation time is important, I like to do that for an hour and then fall asleep stress free.

Have to go to bed now, but hope that little bit helps. Feel free to spell out your symptoms very specifically and if I know some strains to help, I'll update :)

Self Medicate

Background: *In my 20s, * 2 year sufferer, * UC, * Flare up initially for 6 months, then 1 year of maintaining freedom, then (perhaps) linked to life-changing circumstances of divorce and other things came back to flare up again which I have had for 6 months, * Meds: Prednisolone 30mg per day but weaning off as transitioning to Azothioprine as more long term equivalent to the Prednisolone; Pentasa 2g daily. Summary: I believe flare ups are caused by stress that certain people are sensitive to and their bodies react to. When in serious flare-up mode try to stick to a diet I can send you... (it is good for anyone, but basically consists of keeping proteins and carbs free but private message me and I can help with this to advise). I am not so convinced the diet itself will cure you but it will help your body somewhat. People think (much like I used to think) that sleeping or needing to "officially relax" is some kind of overplay by the sufferer. The results I observe within myself are testimony to the fact that it really does help and sometimes though a working world does not understand, a sufferer may need to take an extra day off or something to just sleep and relax completely or risk really suffering. I am not sure if people can get any doctor's note to support a day off because of the condition but it is not easy to live with. I wish I was able to do like I always did, eat whatever I wanted and not worry about where toilets are but the truth is G-d gives everyone the exact spiritual workout plan that they need and for us, we are all supposed to clamber together now and help each other get well again. PLEASE UPDATE ME on how all you feel if you decided to self-medicate or whatever.

A close medical friend suggested I try marijuana to alleviate symptoms of UC. I was very sceptical as generally I am a high achiever, work hard, successful and have a general tendency against drugs as they mess people up. My parents were always very against drugs and are conservative. I decided to try it as I was really suffering (and in any event I consider marijuana as a different category of drugs and that it should definitely be legalised as alcohol is far worse, I appreciate the overall damage to society of having everyone so chilled out all the time but that is social control and it is not fair, it is not proven dangerous and on the contrary there are so many good things that come from it (check out hemp online for instance).

Vis-a-vis the UC, marijuana has been very helpful. I try (work/plans-depending) on having a small amount in the mid-morning or early afternoon after I have had my morning bowel movement (always the worst of the day) and taken other meds (all 13 pills!! (including vitamins, calcium and iron etc to counteract the negatives of the prednisolone). I then medicate again in the evening. I would recommend anyone to try it in the morning and the evening, laws/personal responsibility notwithstanding. The problem in UK is that it is illegal (even medically) and a person would have to know someone (or know someone who knows someone etc) in that world to collect from. I would love to take part in research even if covert, at proving the benefit of this for people with my condition. It is amazing. Obviously like anything it can be abused and I am sure there are people who would be high the whole time but a person has to be honest and realise why they are taking it, it is a medicine.

I vaped to start with (but I got the wrong vapouriser and had to take it back) and now just make spliffs. A proper vapouriser is around £500 / $1,000 but obviously the health benefits are manifest. Smoking one gets some bad stuff but I have mitigated as using American Spirit tobacco to mix with which while obviously not healthy, is the "least unhealthy" tobacco, containing no additives. The hardest thing is to learn how to roll well and thank G-d I know someone who can roll very well. I am learning under him. I hate the stigma that some people have towards it and prefer to keep it private and quiet and just do it with myself or very relaxed people who are not paranoid.

I believe everyone has a natural G-d-given right to do what they can to get healthy and well and it is not for any government to deny that treatment. Happy to take questions.

Last edited:
Me. Cannabis. Crohn's.

I'm newly diagnosed - February 2012 - and 39 years old. Like many of you, I was diagnosed late in life after years of uncomfortable symptoms. My doctors (who finally got it right) ascertained that my quitting smoking three months beforehand exacerbated my Crohn's symptoms, as it is proven that nicotine mitigates the effects of IBD.

When I quit, the symptoms roared to the forefront. THAT'S when they figured out it was Crohn's. Now, I use an electronic vaporizing cigarette to help with the "burn" of intestinal upset.

Unfortunately, I live in a draconian state (Missouri) which does not yet realize the medical benefits of cannabis. I have, therefore, taken to using it on occasion - outside of my home! - to help. Luckily, I have a wonderful set of friends who use recreationally and they are only too pleased to help me out when I stop by.

I cry... you know. At night. Wishing this hadn't happened to me. Crohn's. But what I've recently realized is this: I've had Crohn's for years. It was only after I quit using tobacco that my weird bathroom behavior got its name.

So I manage... like all of you... waiting for the day I can use the ONE medication (after Cimzia, Prednisone, Humira, more vicodin and oxycodone than I wanted to friggin' take) which works every single time.

Every. Single. Time.

Last edited:
Dave,
For those of us who are newly diagnosed and donot know what all the abbreviations mean on posts, can you please post them for me so I can understand what people are talking about? Med abbreviations as well? Can you title the new thread "abbreviation meanings for the newbi's to crohn's?" I would really appreciate it so much!!! Teresa

Thanks for sharing vocalcitizen! Out of curiosity, is your disease confined to your colon or does it affect your small intestine as well?
Transverse colon and illeum.
I've sort of had problems all over... fissures, ulcers in my throat... I think it's still running rampant. Luckily, I have a great doctor now.

Thanks...

Hi Teresa,

Please let me know which specific abbreviations you don't know and I'd be happy to :)
All the bacteria tests,, blood tests, meds abbrev. I don't know any. Plus the different abbrev, for parts of intestines. Liver abbrev. I don't know hardly any. I have had testing, but never knew what they meant and my appt. isn't till end of Aug.I asked the nurse over the phone and all she said was mine showed inflammation. My B12 was low so I have to give myself injections.
Thankyou so much Dave,
Teresa
Diagnosed with crohn's Aug 2011
tried pentasa failed
entocort worked for 5 months
cholesterymine for bile acid and diarrehea.
vitD3 2x day
probiotic-enzyme formula
effexor xl for joint pain-fibromyalgia
inderal for fast heart and tremor
zantac 2 x day for acid reflux.

David

Co-Founder
Vocalcitizen, thanks. I'm surprised that stopping smoking made things worse for you as it is usually worse for people with Crohn's Disease but better for Ulcerative Colitis.

Teresa, ah, I see what you want now. Will you please start a thread in our wiki discussion forum located here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57 with a list of the specific terms you want defined and add to it as you come across new ones? Thanks!

My Story, my treatments, I recommend reading as it may help some sufferers.

I'm 30 years old and have had stomach issues my entire life. I was hospitalized in 2001 because I couldnt stop vomiting, lasted over 12 hours of throwing up every 30 minutes or so. After an ultrasound, upper GI, lower GI, Cat Scan, stool samples, blood samples, urine tests, and everything else you can imagine, Rush in Chicago did a capsule endoscopy.
The doctor said I had between 30 and 40 ulcers in my small intestines. He suspected Crohns and did a colonoscopy. Immediately after looking inside he told my family I had Crohns.

After years of suffering and trying Pentasa, Asacol, and every other drug he could throw at me, I asked him what else I could do. What I should and shouldnt eat etc. He told me to listen to my body and see what it does and does NOT like. To keep a food log and see if there were ingredients in common when I got sick.

After doing this for some time, I found out I could not eat GARLIC. I looked back at all the bad episodes I had and they all contained large amounts or fair amounts of Garlic in them. I from that point forward stayed away from Garlic. This helped me greatly, went from having an "attack" (puking for 12 hours or more) several times a year to maybe having one 2 times a year.

I also found out that I shouldn't eat any oils other than extra virgin olive oil. And that I could not eat corn or watermelon. I also started each much healthier and staying away from processed foods and fast / junk food.

While this was a huge breakthrough, I still had nausea quite often and a general not so happy stomach after, or before meals. Eating smaller more frequent meals seemed to help, but still didn't make a large enough impact.

I was working as a loan officer out of a local real estate office and we had a company party. At this party I was staying away from food with Garlic as I had grown accustomed to doing and I would frequently have to decline foods and tell them that I am allergic to Garlic. At that party one of the agents and I were discussing this and she mentioned her husband was from Russia and studied homeopathic remedies. She recommended Colustrum certified by Immune Tree and offered up a local place to get some.

I bought the lozenges and after trying them for a few days, they started to really help the nausea and discomfort after meals! I continue to use these to today to help with nausea and mild discomfort.

There are still, however, situations where I may accidentally ingest come garlic because even though I tell people I am allergic to it, they pretend there isnt any in their food, or some other unfortunate mishap. I also just have bad times when my immune system is low and I haven't gotten enough sleep. In the rough times, the colostrum and eating a healthy diet was not enough. I would find myself extremely nauseous and on the verge of an "attack".

One day, a friend of mine, who is an avid MJ smoker was over at my house during one of these episodes. Now don't get me wrong, I tried MJ when I was like 17 years old and did it quite a few times, but quit after a few months. Was just a "phase" I went through. Anyway, he was over and noticed my suffering and told me I should smoke. I was very reluctant as the LAST thing I wanted to do was be high and nauseous at the same time. He told me that they use this for cancer patients for that exact reason and I remembered hearing it, so I decided what do I have to lose. I tried the MJ and within 10 minutes I went from thinking I was in for another attack to being completely symptom free!! This was a huge breakthrough for me!

I managed to keep my Crohn's at bay for around 10 years with Diet, excercise, staying away from foods my body didnt like, Colostrum as needed, and MJ as needed!!

All was great until about 6 weeks ago. I got an abscess (infection) in a tooth and had to have a root canal. They gave me clendomyocin (antibiotic) to aid in clearing up the infection. One week later, I had a C Diff infection caused by the antobiotic killing the good bacteria in my system.

They gave me another antibiotic for the treatment of C Diff, however, I cannot stop going to the bathroom with severe Diarrhea. Doing some further research into my disease, I found that EATING cannibas has more of an effect on the body and can actual be a great anti inflammatory.

I found a great canna butter recipe and made some. I then took some and put it in some fresh hot tea. It took about an hour or more to "kick in" but I noticed a HUGE difference. Cramping and pains were gone and the diarrhea subsided. I also had my first normal bowel movement in a long time.

Now most of us have jobs, lives, families, so the idea of "being high" is not appealing and may make you feel like a scum bag. But I can tell you this, I did it before bed several days in a row so that when I was "high" I was asleep and didn't have to deal with it. I would wake up a bit groggy, but that would go away after drinking some water and eating breakfast.

People, this helps so much you cannot even imagine. If you suffer from Crohn's I recommend you listen to your body and keep a food journal. Figure out what you can and cannot eat. Go Get some colostrum certified by immune tree, my uncle has Crohns and this helped him too! (his was colon, not small intestine like me), and also try MJ.

Legal or not, this has been a life saver for me and my well being. Do more research if your skeptical and realize this: You cannot overdose on MJ, its physically impossible and has been proven over and over. You cannot eat or smoke enough to OD and hurt yourself. You may vomit and go to sleep, but that's about the extent of it. And that's only if you go CRAZY or try too strong and too much right away. Also, its less harmful than probably every other drug you are trying. Dont want to smoke it? Don't, figure out how to make cannabutter and eat it. You can also get a vaporizer which only extracts the THC and the oils in the plant, none of the carcinogens from smoking.

Please give this a try if you are a sufferer. It worked wonder for me and my uncle.

God Bless and good luck everyone.

My Story, my treatments, I recommend reading as it may help some sufferers.
I believe you about the med MJ. When I was younger and didn't even know I had crohn's I smoked at night to help me sleep. It always made my diarrhea better and my tummy didn't hurt.
Just wanted to tell you too to try Probiotic multi enzyme formula by Spring Valley at Walmart at every meal. My diarrhea is gone since I started. No more drugs for crohn's. I also drink a little 100% organic inner gel only Aloe vera juice everyday. Made by Fruit of the Earth. Also in Walmart pharmacy section. Make sure you buy the big jug not the smaller one. It has whole leaf which can be toxic. Try it!! Teresa

Medical Marijuana, for me, is not only a sense of relief from the symptoms of Chron's and Ulcerative Colitis, but also a sense of relief from the stress and depression that go along with having such illnesses. In my particular case, I'm not sure how much of an impact my disease has on my depression, however I know it's something I am constantly struggling against. Marijuana is nothing to be afraid of. I currently use Remicade to keep my disease under control. Remicade is amazing. My dad (the one that passed Chron's down to me) had a major allergic reaction to Remicade his second time, so my family and I were all very skeptical about using it. However, as some of you might know by now, Remicade can work differently for every person. My disease seems to be getting much better, regardless of all the weight loss and harsh couple of years I've had since being diagnosed. I have found that alongside Remicade, Medical Marijuana does wonders. With Chron's, I never found that my appetite was at a "normal" level. But what's normal anyways? Regardless, my appetite, depression, weight gain, and just general quality of life are much easier to maintain with the use of Cannabis. I am only 16. I know... Early age to start. But, just because I live in a state where cannabis happens to be illegal, and may not be the ideal age for medical marijuana consumption, it still does more for me than anything else in this world. (Besides maybe Love)

Medical Marijuana, for me, is not only a sense of relief from the symptoms of Chron's and Ulcerative Colitis, but also a sense of relief from the stress and depression that go along with having such illnesses. In my particular case, I'm not sure how much of an impact my disease has on my depression, however I know it's something I am constantly struggling against. Marijuana is nothing to be afraid of. I currently use Remicade to keep my disease under control. Remicade is amazing. My dad (the one that passed Chron's down to me) had a major allergic reaction to Remicade his second time, so my family and I were all very skeptical about using it. However, as some of you might know by now, Remicade can work differently for every person. My disease seems to be getting much better, regardless of all the weight loss and harsh couple of years I've had since being diagnosed. I have found that alongside Remicade, Medical Marijuana does wonders. With Chron's, I never found that my appetite was at a "normal" level. But what's normal anyways? Regardless, my appetite, depression, weight gain, and just general quality of life are much easier to maintain with the use of Cannabis. I am only 16. I know... Early age to start. But, just because I live in a state where cannabis happens to be illegal, and may not be the ideal age for medical marijuana consumption, it still does more for me than anything else in this world. (Besides maybe Love)
Sorry you are going through crohn's at such a young age but, grateful you found treatment that is helping. May God bless you with 100 more great years!!

What's the difference between MMJ and MJ sold on the streets? The reason why I ask is that there is no MMJ where I live and the standard is Savita, is that worth a shot?

What's the difference between MMJ and MJ sold on the streets? The reason why I ask is that there is no MMJ where I live and the standard is Savita, is that worth a shot?
*Sativa - and it is a different high. There are Indicas and Sativas. Indicas generally produced a more 'stoned' effect of wanting to sleep, pain relief, stress relieving in the brain. The sativas are more exhilarating on the body and make one talk a lot more, be creative, want to socialise. Remember the main effect as a medical marijuana user will be the healing; the high for me is a side effect (good or bad you decide) but it is not why we do it. The reason is that the THC and CBD is good for us and has positive effects on the body so you just have to find the one that works for you.

Strains: I tried Amnesia this weekend and it is a sativa which made me creative. Previously I was using the Cheese (indica). That tends to make me tired and relaxed.

Question for the floor (will post again): How do you smoke your Marijuana dose? Do you take a spliff and mix it with tobacco (if so which tobacco do you use and what do you observe the effects to be and are they any different to taking straight marijuana)? Do you take a blunt or a bowl?

How do you smoke your Marijuana dose? Do you take a spliff and mix it with tobacco (if so which tobacco do you use and what do you observe the effects to be and are they any different to taking straight marijuana)? Do you take a blunt or a bowl?

There are many articles on the internet about the safety and benefits of Cannabis. If you vaporize, you can just go by what works for you. I use a vaporizing pen and I use as needed. Some people medicate all day long, others (like me) only use it when it's necessary. One exciting thing happening in the Medicinal Cannabis field is high CBD -Cannabidiol- strains. The CBD isn't psychoactive, and it's a cancer fighting agent. The higher CBD strains don't produce the buzzy high that many people don't like. TCH (Tetrahydrocannabinol) on the other hand is psychoactive it also relieves pain; I prefer the higher CBD strains and see a great deal of progress in the development of pain management without the buzz. I know some people who are working to breed high CBD strains, it's quite interesting science. I am certain that within a short time, we will be seeing great strides made toward the de-criminalization of Cannabis and Western Medicine will truly agree with the use of Cannabis for patients

The Medicinal Cannabis is of better quality. There are several strains from Sativa to Indica to hybrids of both. A good bud tender (MMJ consultant) will help you to choose a strain for your specific symptoms and needs. Unfortunately, in your situation you will be limited in your choices and access, I would recommend a couple of websites "leafly" and "kindgreenbud" they may have information that will help you to be more informed about strains. Having said that, look for a Sativa dominant hybrid if possible. They tend to have good pain management qualities without the stress/anxiety that can happen in a pure Staiva. I wish I could help you more but sadly living in a non-MMJ place is going to limit your options

How do you smoke your Marijuana dose? Do you take a spliff and mix it with tobacco (if so which tobacco do you use and what do you observe the effects to be and are they any different to taking straight marijuana)? Do you take a blunt or a bowl?
No, don't mix it with tobacco - grind the buds up and use either a pipe, bong, vaporizer (my recommendation) or roll a joint (a bud only cigarette)
There are several ways to medicate and each person will discover their favorite way. There are also medical edibles made with Cannabis, there are tinctures using a lipid extraction, or an alcohol extraction method. I prefer using an Agave extraction with a little lemon extract. I make my extractions and make butter or olive oils to cook with. As I am an authorized patient in my state I am able to experiment with many different ways to medicate. I really like to use a vaporizing pen with a Butane Hash Oil (BHO) For me that is the fastest, safest, most effective way to medicate and it really helps me to feel normal - not stoned, just better.

I've been smoking cigs again and my doc even told me it could be helping my crohns. Lol. I smoke cannabis as well and of course it's one of the most effective at symptom relief. I figure smoking cigs and a lil cough is better than shitting blood 10-15 times a day. Im Afraid to quit cigs again as it seems I flare a few months after. My doc said it makes sense that the cigs are suppressing my over active immune system. Who the hell knows anymore? I'm just happy I'm absorbing food and not shittimg all day. Time for some weed and nicotine!!!!

Hi guys
Just for my understanding. Does marijuana treat the condition or mask it.
I understood that it was a anti-inflammatory and that is why it is so effective against the disease.
Thank you

David

Co-Founder
That's a good question Moe. I don't know if any studies have been conducted as to whether or not it actually induces healing of the intestinal mucosa.

If
It's anti inflammatory then logic would have it would reverse intestinal damage. It's been shown to cure cancer. Nobody has $500,000,000 to run clinical trials in it do don't hold your breath waiting for that info. According to the US govt it has no accepted medical value.

David

Co-Founder
Unfortunately Johnny, there are a lot of anti-inflammatories that studies have shown don't lead to mucosal healing. I hope medical marijuana does, but can't say for certain. We of course know the government is wrong about it not having any medicinal value.

Hi, I'm 21 and have had C for about 2 years. Smoking Cannabis definitely got me through my university years with Crohns and I continue to use it (although less than before). I have been trying to cut out tobacco entirely but have yet to purchase a vape, (although very intrigued). I live in the UK so nothing is available medicinally. Fortunately I made some good friends who sold it and they keep me in regular stock at the best quality they can get.

I'm currently about to go onto Humira having been on Azothioprine as well as Pentasa but am nervous about the possible side effects of Humira. I feel that my Crohns is mostly controllable with the drugs I'm currently on as well as the added help of a smoke once or twice a day. I still have the occasional flare-up although they seem to be mild (in comparison to what I've read from other Crohns patients online).

I will have a good read through the forum about Humira but is there any essential info I should know before going on it?

Spoke to my doctor about sativex today but not taken seriously. Has anyone else tried or been prescribed Sativex? (I believe it's also reffered to as Nabiximols).

I'm not familiar with Sativex. What is that?
Hi David. Loving the forum and am working my way through the many threads and stories now. Fantastic to see so many Crohns and IBD patients supporting each other! Lots of valuable info as well!

Sativex is the only legal way you can get your hands on THC and CBD in the UK at the moment. It's generally only prescribed for people with serious cases of MS and to Cancer patients but it is essentially a "Cannabis Spray". Unfortunately it's also got a hefty price tag.

I might be being cynical but as far as I can see it's a way for big pharma to make some cash out of cannabis' healing properties without having to directly admit that it's a "good thing" publicly.

I can't post you links to it yet but if you google it you'll get the official website for Sativex (it should be part of the GW pharma site and if you google "sativex truth" you'll get a bunch of artiles explaining how it works.

Hi, I'm 21 and have had C for about 2 years. Smoking Cannabis definitely got me through my university years with Crohns and I continue to use it (although less than before). I have been trying to cut out tobacco entirely but have yet to purchase a vape, (although very intrigued). I live in the UK so nothing is available medicinally. Fortunately I made some good friends who sold it and they keep me in regular stock at the best quality they can get.

I'm currently about to go onto Humira having been on Azothioprine as well as Pentasa but am nervous about the possible side effects of Humira. I feel that my Crohns is mostly controllable with the drugs I'm currently on as well as the added help of a smoke once or twice a day. I still have the occasional flare-up although they seem to be mild (in comparison to what I've read from other Crohns patients online).
Just remember your treatment choice is up to you. One of the rarer side effects of Humira is "Fatal Events". Big Pharma, via doctors, is pushing Humira hard. I was doing great and my doctor still ordered it for me and became irate when I turned it down. It's very expensive and listed in the top 5 FDA most dangerous FDA approved drugs in regards to "fatal events" and other serious reactions.

Hi David. Loving the forum and am working my way through the many threads and stories now. Fantastic to see so many Crohns and IBD patients supporting each other! Lots of valuable info as well!

Sativex is the only legal way you can get your hands on THC and CBD in the UK at the moment. It's generally only prescribed for people with serious cases of MS and to Cancer patients but it is essentially a "Cannabis Spray". Unfortunately it's also got a hefty price tag.

I might be being cynical but as far as I can see it's a way for big pharma to make some cash out of cannabis' healing properties without having to directly admit that it's a "good thing" publicly.

I can't post you links to it yet but if you google it you'll get the official website for Sativex (it should be part of the GW pharma site and if you google "sativex truth" you'll get a bunch of artiles explaining how it works.
o
I agree with your big pharm theory. If anyone is interested, there is a book online - free called "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" By Jack Herrer. It gives some interesting insight into the "Reefer Madness" we all grew up fearing. Give it a read.

Hello, I just joined the forum. I have been doing extensive research on the use of cannabis for the treatment of my lymphocitic colitis. These are the articles I have found relevant - I hope they point people in the right direction. It would appear the juicing the leaves and drinking them is a viable treatment option, with no psychological effects.

It appears that I cannot post links, since I have less than 10 posts. Ooookay.

You will have to google these yourself, but I have included enough information. Hopefully this helps someone else.

www(dot)ncbi(dot)nlm(dot)nih(dot)gov/pubmed/15085199/
2004 Apr;113(8):1202-9.

The endogenous cannabinoid system protects against colonic inflammation.
"Our results indicate that the endogenous cannabinoid system represents a promising therapeutic target for the treatment of intestinal disease conditions characterized by excessive inflammatory responses."

www(dot)ncbi(dot)nlm(dot)nih(dot)gov/pmc/articles/PMC2516444/

Historically, marijuana has been used to treat diarrhea and has been advocated for the treatment of a variety of other gastrointestinal problems, including Crohn's disease3. More recent pharmacological studies have clearly established that cannabinoids inhibit gastrointestinal motility and secretion by acting on CB1 receptors located on the terminals of both intrinsic and extrinsic submucosal neurons8. When administered to mice with chemically induced enteritis, cannabinoids also reduce inflammation9 and fluid accumulation10 in the gut. In these latter studies, high levels of anandamide and 2-arachidonoylglycerol as well as increased expression of CB1 receptors have been detected in the inflamed intestines.

www(dot)ncbi(dot)nlm(dot)nih(dot)gov/pmc/articles/PMC1856409/

"In conclusion, there is great potential for the development of new therapeutic agents against intestinal inflammation from the endocannabinoid system. While full understanding of the mechanisms of the anti-inflammatory actions of cannabinoid receptor activation is still to be pursued, ad hoc clinical studies will ascertain whether the promising results obtained in animals can be extrapolated to the clinic."

www(dot)ncbi(dot)nlm(dot)nih(dot)gov/pmc/articles/PMC1575197/

"The potential therapeutic value of such findings seems to be relevant. Activation of CB2 receptors represents a novel mechanism for the re-establishment of normal gastrointestinal transit after an inflammatory stimulus. The strategy to use selective CB2 receptor agonists for the treatment of hypermotility during inflammatory bowel diseases is highly promising because it is likely to be devoid of the well-known Cannabis unwanted effects (e.g. sedation, cognitive dysfunction, ataxia and psychotropic effects), which are due to activation of brain CB1 receptors. Also, it will be interesting to see in future studies whether a CB2 mechanism exists to protect the gut from the fluid hypersecretion and mucosal damage associated to endotoxic inflammation. Clearly, further exploration of the role of CB2 receptors in the gut is likely to produce worthwhile results."

clinicaltrials(dot)gov/ct2/show/NCT01040910

"Cannabinoids have also a profound anti inflammatory effect, mainly through the CB2 receptor. Cell mediated immunity may be impaired in chronic marijuana users. And a potent anti-inflammatory effect of cannabis was observed in rats . Studying the functional roles of the endocannabinoid system in immune modulation reveals that there are no major immune events which do not involve the endocannabinoid system. Cannabinoids shift the balance of pro-inflammatory cytokines and anti-inflammatory cytokines towards the T-helper cell type 2 profiles (Th2 phenotype), and suppress cell-mediated immunity whereas humoral immunity may be enhanced. They are therefore used for various inflammatory conditions including rheumatoid arthritis and asthma. In a mouse model of colitis cannabinoids were found to ameliorate inflammation and there are many anecdotal reports about the effect of cannabis in inflammatory bowel disease. "

www(dot)sciencedirect(dot)com/science/article/pii/S1043661809000838

Emerging evidence suggests that cannabinoids may exert beneficial effects in intestinal inflammation and cancer. Adaptive changes of the endocannabinoid system have been observed in intestinal biopsies from patients with inflammatory bowel disease and colon cancer. Studies on epithelial cells have shown that cannabinoids exert antiproliferative, antimetastatic and apoptotic effects as well as reducing cytokine release and promoting wound healing. In vivo, cannabinoids – via direct or indirect activation of CB1 and/or CB2 receptors – exert protective effects in well-established models of intestinal inflammation and colon cancer. Pharmacological elevation of endocannabinoid levels may be a promising strategy to counteract intestinal inflammation and colon cancer.

U.S. Patent no. 6630507

On October 7, 2003, a U.S. patent number 6630507 entitled "Cannabinoids as Antioxidants and Neuroprotectants" was awarded to the United States Department of Health and Human Services, based on research done at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), and the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). This patent claims that cannabinoids are "useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases such as ischemia, age-related, inflammatory, and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia."[46][47]

On November 17, 2011, in accordance with 35 U.S.C. 209(c)(1) and 37 CFR part 404.7(a)(1)(i), the National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, published in the Federal Register, that it is contemplating the grant of an exclusive patent license to practice the invention embodied in U.S. Patent 6,630,507, entitled “Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants” and PCT Application Serial No. PCT/US99/08769 and foreign equivalents thereof, entitled “Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants” [HHS Ref. No. E-287-1997/2] to KannaLife Sciences Inc., which has offices in New York, U.S. This patent and its foreign counterparts have been assigned to the Government of the United States of America. The prospective exclusive license territory may be worldwide, and the field of use may be limited to: The development and sale of cannabinoid(s) and cannabidiol(s) based therapeutics as antioxidants and neuroprotectants for use and delivery in humans, for the treatment of hepatic encephalopathy, as claimed in the Licensed Patent Rights.[48]

On June 12, 2012, KannaLife Sciences, Inc. signed an exclusive license agreement with National Institutes of Health – Office of Technology Transfer ("NIH-OTT") for the Commercialization of U.S. Patent 6,630,507, "Cannabinoids as Antioxidants and Neuroprotectants" (the "'507 Patent"). The '507 Patent includes among other things, claims directed to a method of treating diseases caused by oxidative stress by administering a therapeutically effective amount of a non-psychoactive cannabinoid that has substantially no binding to the NMDA receptor. Cannabinoids are any of a group of related compounds that include cannabinol and the active constituents of cannabis (marijuana).

David

Co-Founder
Does anyone know if the CCFA has changed their stance on medical marijuana? I noticed today they removed the following article from their website and a search for "marijuana" on their site brings up nothing:

http://www.ccfa.org/about/news/medicalmarajuana

Cannabis and IBD: A Fragile Connection

As a potential therapy for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), cannabis-based drugs may hold promise, according to a report published in the August issue of Gastroenterology -- but that doesn't mean it's time for people with IBD to start smoking marijuana. Although the illegal drug has been used to reduce nausea and pain in patients with terminal illnesses, CCFA's medical leadership does not support the use of "medical marijuana" in people with IBD. While marijuana might temporarily reduce pain and nausea, there is, as yet, no evidence that it can control chronic intestinal inflammation -- the underlying cause of these symptoms in Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.

Interestingly, medical marijuana for symptom relief is not the subject of the new study. Rather, a group of researchers based in the U.K. found that people with IBD had more cannabinoid receptors in the tissues of their colons than did people without the disease. Cannabinoids are molecules produced in the body that closely resemble a group of compounds found in the cannabis plant -- the same compounds that are responsible for the plant's unique pharmacological effects.

"The system that responds to cannabis in the brain is present and functioning in the lining of the gut," said lead researcher Dr. Karen Wright of the University of Bath. She and her colleagues found the location of cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 in the tissues of the colon. They observed that CB2 was increased in IBD, along with the heightened wound-healing effects associated with the activity of cannabinoids. As IBD often involves damage to the lining of the intestine, cannabinoids merit the attention of the scientific community, the researchers believe.

Both the psychoactive effects and the legal issues associated with marijuana use make it unsuitable as a treatment, said Dr. Wright. However, she added, it might be possible to produce a cannabis-like drug with all the therapeutic benefits and none of the other effects of cannabis. With cannabis-based medicines already being used for multiple sclerosis in some countries, that possibility doesn't seem far-fetched.

But not so fast, warns IBD expert Dr. Jonathan Markowitz, a member of CCFA's National Scientific Advisory Committee (NSAC). At best, he said, the British study offers preliminary evidence that justifies further research into the role of cannabinoids and their receptors in bowel physiology. "I think it's still safe to say that there is no evidence to date that cannabis is an effective treatment for IBD," he said.

As for symptom alleviation, Dr. R. Balfour Sartor, chairperson emeritus of the NSAC, has expressed strong opposition to marijuana as a palliative in IBD: "Because IBD is an illness that lasts a lifetime, patients and their physicians should concentrate on discovering the cause of the symptoms and pinpointing a treatment that will control them without causing adverse side effects. Using a substance such as marijuana to alleviate symptoms only masks the actual problem."

Today, patients have access to more medications than ever -- medications capable of controlling symptoms and dramatically improving quality of life. CCFA's expert consensus remains: The harmful side effects of marijuana far outweigh its potential benefits. In other words, until a new cannabinoid-based drug comes to market, don't go there.
What's the story? Does anyone know?

David, not sure about the article in question but I did just want to mention that I just returned from a five-day stay in the hospital from a blockage I had in my upper GI, one week after I quit my cannabis treatment. I was finding it too difficult to deal with trying to hide the 'side effects' at work - even though I was productive and effective, I was feeling ashamed and guilty (to me those are side effects too).

After a week I guess my gut gave up. Even with the morphine I was in extreme pain for almost three days. It was like a bad episode of House. I vomited almost on the admitting nurse in the emergency room, and again almost on the x-ray tech since the emerg doc ordered x-rays before any treatment (I told him they wouldn't show anything and they didn't). The lab came back with my blood work showing elevated levels of something (enzymes?) which made the doc think it was pancreantitis, since the pain was just below my sternum. It was actually my stomach....filling up, backing up.

So I got transferred to a larger hospital, in Vancouver, where the gastro began treating me as though I had pancreantitis. It was a fricking horror show! They wanted to do a CT scan and tried to make me drink a litre of contrast - to my credit I got most of it down, but vomited most back up.

Believe me, I told them my whole history but they for some reason would not even consider it was a blockage! Keystone kops. The patient is always wrong I suppose. It wasn't until they wanted to put a camera down into my stomach since the CT showed it totally bloated and put an NG tube in me that I started to feel relief. 400ml in 5 minutes, then about 1200 ml total. By the time they got the camera into me I was feeling better.

The doc showed up about 8 hours after I woke up from the camera procedure and grimly told me I had a blockage likely caused by a stricture, and I said "I'm feeling 100% better!" ...you should have seen the look on his face - and his three colleagues! Yep, my stoma was flowing and the pain was gone.

He was pissed off I think and didn't want to admit I was correct when I first came in when I told him I had a blockage.

This after almost 9 months symptom-free since my gastric bypass/ileostomy. Am sitting here wondering about it, but likely going to go out and smoke a joint.

My story...maybe the wrong forum but...doctors really piss me off sometimes!

Does anyone know if the CCFA has changed their stance on medical marijuana? I noticed today they removed the following article from their website and a search for "marijuana" on their site brings up nothing:

The harmful side effects of marijuana far outweigh its potential benefits.
Oh yes... marijuana is so harmful. I feel good, and nausea free, and able to eat a decent meal for the first time in months... this is SOOOO HORRIBLE.

Sorry.

I have no idea. That line really pisses me off though--and the naive, uneducated bit at the top about smoking it. As if that is the only way.

I hope they took it down because those lines are incredibly ridiculous and will put it back up without the ignorant filler.

I dunno. Have you emailed them? I've never attempted to communicate with them. Hopefully they would respond.

kiny

Oh yes... marijuana is so harmful. I feel good, and nausea free, and able to eat a decent meal for the first time in months... this is SOOOO HORRIBLE.

Sorry.

I have no idea. That line really pisses me off though--and the naive, uneducated bit at the top about smoking it. As if that is the only way.

I hope they took it down because those lines are incredibly ridiculous and will put it back up without the ignorant filler.

I dunno. Have you emailed them? I've never attempted to communicate with them. Hopefully they would respond.
CCFA is ridiculous.

"Harmful effects of cannabais"

Cannabis is NOTHING compared to the drugs they give people for crohn, it is 100% harmless compared to those drugs.

I have never had a bad effect of cannabis.

If cannabis was only masking the pain I would maybe agree, but that is not what is going on in studies. Cannabis is stimulating opoid receptors in the gut and lowering inflammation. It has an anti-inflammatory effect that no other drug can provide and cannabis has a much much better track record than the drugs they use for crohn.

And he said it warrants further research, knowing very well that there will be no research because big pharma does not sponsor cannabis and never will, because there is no money in it for them. Bayer is the only company big company that makes cannabis, and they are more of a chemical company than pharma.

Same reason they do not sponsor antibiotics, because they are generic, not enough money in it.

Same reason they do not sponsor probiotics, because they are too easy to make, not enough money it.

Same reason they do not sponsor LDN, because it's generic, because there is no money in it.

Same reason there are no studies about what we should or should not be eating, because there is no money in it.

Same reason we are looking ourselves about what supplements we should be taking, because there is no money in supplements that everyone can make.

All about the money.

If you check CCFA and where their projects lead, they all lead to hospitals, which is fine, but the research itself then leads to research sponsored by big pharma and they use CCFA as a recruiting to get patients for their studies from big pharma.

Fuck CCFA, I hate them.

kiny

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2829088/?tool=pubmed

The Cannabinoid 1 Receptor (CNR1) 1359 G/A Polymorphism Modulates Susceptibility to Ulcerative Colitis and the Phenotype in Crohn's Disease

"Similarly, animal models suggest that CB1 receptor activation with exogenous CB1 receptor agonists induces protection against intestinal inflammation. [3], [5] Therefore, the increased CB1 receptor expression seen in murine colitis models is likely an intrinsic protective mechanism to counter-regulate the deleterious effects of intestinal inflammation. The physiological importance of the CB1 receptor and the endocannabinoid system becomes obvious when endocannabinoid levels are increased by blocking their degradation. Under these circumstances, intestinal inflammation is reduced and the CB1 receptor is involved in this protection, emphasizing the important pathophysiological role of this system in intestinal inflammation. [7] Whether monitoring of CB1 receptor function or genotyping can identify responders of future treatments targeting the CB1 receptor remains speculative and has to be clarified in clinical trials.

In summary, we demonstrate that the CNR1 1359 G/A polymorphism modulates IBD susceptibility and phenotype. Specifically, we show that 1359 A/A homozygosity protects against UC and that CD patients carrying the minor A allele have a later disease onset and a lower BMI. These findings have to be confirmed in a larger replication study. Given the low prevalence of 1359 A/A homozygous carriers, this likely can be achieved only in a large multicenter trial. Nevertheless, our findings provide further evidence that endocannabinoids modulate intestinal inflammation, suggesting that this system could act as a target for future therapeutic interventions."

KWalker

JohnnyO
It's very expensive and listed in the top 5 FDA most dangerous FDA approved drugs in regards to "fatal events" and other serious reactions.
This is kinda off topic but I noticed you said this about Humira. Is there a list online that lists the top 5/10..or even 20 of the most dangerous drugs? I was looking online but it seemed to be all opinion based and gave different answers

kiny

I was doing great and my doctor still ordered it for me and became irate when I turned it down.
Same, I was told to leave the hospital and never come back years ago because I didn't agree with infliximab anymore.

I left, and complained to state.

Those infuses cost around $6000 each.

kiny

JohnnyO

This is kinda off topic but I noticed you said this about Humira. Is there a list online that lists the top 5/10..or even 20 of the most dangerous drugs? I was looking online but it seemed to be all opinion based and gave different answers
This was before Humira was popular, but it's the same class as infliximab.

Outside of painkiller overdoses, infliximab and humira are the deadliest medicine on the market.

Did those people die from an overdose of the drug? Could it be that people taking those top ten drugs were already seriously ill and died from their illness and just happened to also be taking this medication? Or are those ranks based on their LD50? (Lethal dose of 50% of the population)...

its illegal in the uk but i smoke it regularly for my crohns as i have it serverley. it has helped remarkably with pain and helps me to eat. highly recommed it to anyone.

Anyone on Humira using MM? Is it safe?
Yes I feel it's safe there are AIDS patients who use medical cannabis and their immune systems are much more compromised than ours.

This was before Humira was popular, but it's the same class as infliximab.

Outside of painkiller overdoses, infliximab and humira are the deadliest medicine on the market.
Putting this into perspective Abbott and Janssen Biotech claim that over 2 million people have used a biologic (Although finding an exact amount is tough) so this translates to 1 in 1628 or .06% of the people who use a biologic die from it. It would be nice to see a further breakdown as I am sure a certain number of these people die from the initial infusion which brings down the cancer risk even further. Still dangerous but I feel like Crohns is more dangerous.

Anyways onto my question....This thread is getting pretty big so I apologize if we have discussed it already. Has anyone used a confirmed strain with higher than 10% CBD before? I am using one that is 14% CBD and 5% THC its great as it calms my anxiety and I don't get the normal paranoid feeling. The problem I am having with it is its actually making me nauseous and feel sick, I am not sure if this is just me or a temporary thing with me but its strong stuff. I have never had something work so great at calming my stomach before but right now I cant even use it. Anyone else have this problem with high CBD?

Besides obviously pimping Hunira on CCFA website, they scolded me and deleted my post about medical marijuana in 2007 when I was first diagnosed and really needed the kind of support I found here on crohns forumn. I doubt they are anything more than Cancer foundation. Neither want a cure they just want to manage the disease with their very expensive and highly toxic snake oil "medicine".

JohnnyO

Yeah it's public info provided by US govt. I'm on my honeymoon and can't really search it but the truth is out there for those willing to dig a little deeper. Humira and remicade are in top 5 or 10 drugs with serious/fatal consequences or as humira pimps like to say on their commercial "fatal events". Fatal events doesn't sound too bad compared to "death" or slow and painful death after serious infections. Caveat Emptor.

Yes I feel it's safe there are AIDS patients who use medical cannabis and their immune systems are much more compromised than ours.

Putting this into perspective Abbott and Janssen Biotech claim that over 2 million people have used a biologic (Although finding an exact amount is tough) so this translates to 1 in 1628 or .06% of the people who use a biologic die from it. It would be nice to see a further breakdown as I am sure a certain number of these people die from the initial infusion which brings down the cancer risk even further. Still dangerous but I feel like Crohns is more dangerous.

Anyways onto my question....This thread is getting pretty big so I apologize if we have discussed it already. Has anyone used a confirmed strain with higher than 10% CBD before? I am using one that is 14% CBD and 5% THC its great as it calms my anxiety and I don't get the normal paranoid feeling. The problem I am having with it is its actually making me nauseous and feel sick, I am not sure if this is just me or a temporary thing with me but its strong stuff. I have never had something work so great at calming my stomach before but right now I cant even use it. Anyone else have this problem with high CBD?
I've used Sour Tsunami. It's like 15% CBD. I like it sometimes but I don't get the mental and body affects I like with a strong indica strain. Maybe my friend didn't grow it right? I dunno. I think CBD is only one component and who knows what other benefits will be discovered once the government allows widespread research. Also, there could be synergistic affects with THC that are as yet unknown so best to use whole plants when using herbs instead of extracts or synthetics.

I am intrigued and considering trying this.
But, firstly if you discuss it with your medical team they can't act on it can they as it's illegal with patient confidentiality and all that? (ie getting the police involved for using an illegal substance etc)
Also... They say smoking is bad for people with Crohns (I don't smoke) does this count for smoking cannabis as-well?

kiny

"Janssen Biotech claim", no bias there...

So Infliximab and humira have caused cancers, liver failure, kidney failure, latent tuberculosis, deadly infections, did I leave anything out? Oh yeah, those kids that died after 5 days from an unknown cancer only seen in tnf-blocker use.

I'm so glad I stopped using this poison.