• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sticky Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

Compassion centers are usually community-ran centers that run a non-profit organization meant to help eligible patients access marijuana on the cheap. They exist even in states where marijuana is illegal, but they're simply tolerated. In Canada, Toronto has had a compassion center for years. They had to go to court eventually since they were the first, then won, and set a precedent for other centers to open in the country.

If Florida is a zero tolerance state, my guess is even compassion centers don't exist or would be hard to find. In this case, you could easily grow it by yourself.

David

Co-Founder
Light Blb, unfortunately, medical marijuana is not legal here in Florida :( You MAY be able to get a prescription synthetic such as marinol but most people don't think it's anywhere near as good.

*edit* Oops, I didn't see your last post before I posted. Sorry!

David

Co-Founder
A gentle reminder that we are discussing the use of marijuana MEDICINALLY in this thread. Just as you wouldn't suggest someone try and score some Imuran without a prescription, we ask that you don't suggest the same for marijuana.

Thank you.

A gentle reminder that we are discussing the use of marijuana MEDICINALLY in this thread. Just as you wouldn't suggest someone try and score some Imuran without a prescription, we ask that you don't suggest the same for marijuana.

Thank you.
You're right David. We should be careful when suggesting that our members break the law. However, here in the UK I am forced (by our out-dated drug laws). To break the law every single day in order to relieve my pain and discomfort from Crohns. Should I be locked up? Or just not speak about it in public? How about on the forum? I would recommend that anyone who felt that Cannabis has helped them should be able to access it. This can mean being very careful about the legislation in your specific area. I think suggesting that patients break the law can be good advice, so long as it is coupled with a sensible respect for those enforcing the law and an intelligent thought-process as to how and were you might find Cannabis illegally if you wanted to. I by no means am about to start shouting out dealers names over the forum, but I think that you should be able to get the care you need, regardless of the law. It is up to the law to change for the good of the people and if IBD sufferers (along with the many other ailments that benefit from the use of this miraculous plant) aren't allowed to discuss their situation online, where are we allowed to?

Basically, I don't have a prescription, it's illegal here, medicinally or in any form. But I damn sure still use this plant medicinally more than I do for any recreational purpose. Am I still allowed to post about my experiences?

David

Co-Founder
I absolutely understand where you're coming from Alex. On a PERSONAL level, if I was in your exact position, I would break the law as well. But I am not crohnsforum.com. While crohnsforum.com is a progressive community compared to most, it is very important that it remain within the law and avoid conflict of interest and subsequent bias as very few places exercise such ethics these days. You're more than welcome to share your experiences and tell people you're breaking the law to do it.

Cimzia is not approved for use in the UK. If someone suggested that someone go out and get some Cimzia without a prescription because it is shown to work really well for perianal Crohn's disease and they have developed antibodies to Remicade and Humira, we wouldn't allow that either.

We provide the science and the personal experiences so members can make educated decisions. Where we draw the line is suggesting others break the law. I understand completely why you disagree with that and I don't ask you to change your mind but maybe direct that energy towards changing things on a local level :)

The entire thread is "suggesting" that people break the law. But I think I understand your concern that the forum is not directly involved in or responsible for breaking the law, in the sense that people would use it to distribute (either through sales or outright gifts, or even recommending contacts) or facilitate the distribution of said drugs.
And I'm not recommending anyone contact me for marijuana, either. I already have enough stress in my life, lol
*edited to correct speling errors*

Last edited:

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I'm not breaking any state laws, but I'm breaking federal law every day...it's tricky to moderate a discussion such as medical marijuana and legality especially here in the US. Canada has a federal program....technically we have a federal program too, they just stopped using it. Look into Irvin Rosenfeld and his story.

http://irvinrosenfeld.com/

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
There was a recent study released about the effect of cannabis on males under age 35. The results? The risk of testicular cancer doubles. Why? I dunno. I stopped recreational use of it over 25 years ago. (when I became a Dad). I never presented with symptoms that made me consider it as a treatment or treatment supplement, but I have no bias for or against. Just thought, in case someone (esp. males <35) is considering it, that this info needed to be shared.
Here is a study from 2009 showing an increase in Testicular Cancer with Marijuana use. Testicular Cancer and Marijuana

A couple of things make this study of interest.
1. The increased Cancer rates were specifically found with Nonseminoma and Mixed Histology types of Testicular Cancer.

1a. Cigarette smoking also causes an increase in Cancer rates (including Testicular Cancer). Check out the increased risk for smoking cigarettes HERE. Could this increased risk in Marijuana use differ by mode of ingestion? For example, is there a lower risk of Vaporizer use or oral ingestion versus Smoking? I would also be interested if there is a higher risk in persons who smoke rolled Marijuana cigarettes "joints" versus those who smoke a Water Pipe (Bong).

1b. The increased Cancer rates were specifically found with Nonseminoma and Mixed Histology types of Testicular Cancer. These types of Testicular Cancer have a poorer prognosis than Seminoma Testicular Cancer (ref).

Are men who are facing a more difficult prognosis more apt to report anything and everything that they have come into contact with that is a potential cancer causing agent? It is natural to think about current and past exposures regarding their role in a cancer diagnosis. Healthy men, when asked the "have you ever smoked marijuana" question are less likely to report an uneventful marijuana smoking experience from the distant past than men who have been wracking their brain over past exposures.

However, this idea does not explain the increase in Nonseminoma and Mixed Histology Testicular Cancers over Seminoma types.

2. Marijuana exerts a significant Immune System "quieting" effect. Although this can be helpful in patients using Medicinal Marijuana for Inflammatory reduction, an Immune Suppressant medication does increase the risk of certain types of Cancer. As a general rule, an Immunosuppressant increases Cancer risk. Some Immunosuppressants carry a greater risk than others.

Other Immunosuppressants that increase Cancer Risk (the increase in cancer risk varies by dosage and drug type):
[wiki]Prednisone[/wiki]
[wiki]Remicade[/wiki]
[wiki]Imuran[/wiki]
[wiki]6-MP[/wiki]

I do not aim to deter anyone from therapy using Immunosuppressant medication. But, knowing your increased risk, and what type of cancer typically presents with each drug, should be combined with a vigilant approach to cancer screening. As with any new lump or bump - bring it to the attention of your doctor. Cancer caught in the early stages have a much higher cure rate than those diagnosed later.

Last edited:
After taking indomethacin, sulfasalazine, mesalamine, prednizone, azathioprine, & a host of other drugs to counteract the side effects of THOSE drugs, I seriously doubt a little pot is going to hurt my nuts. But thanks for the heads-up.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
I have tryed MM before and after RX with crohns. I belive that it CAN help some people although it did not help me for pain or crohns. Here in California there is alot of people that use MM for one reason or another. I feel like this, "what ever flots your boat." I can see where it would help when you just want to get your mind off of the crohns.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I can see where it would help when you just want to get your mind off of the crohns.
According to recent scientific studies it may actually keep the disease in check. You can't just smoke a joint and expect to be cured, although it does help immediately with symptoms. It has to be used like any other medication to expect any long term results. At least in my experience. :)

You're right though, it does vary from person to person. Just like any other medication. Mesalamine and 6MP can keep some people in remission and MM can work for others. It's hit or miss, we still really don't know how IBD works. Every case is different IMO

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
FullM3lt, you commented in the Medical Marijuana wiki about Cannabis indica vs Cannabis sativa in management of your symptoms:
FullM3lt Comments

I was wondering if you had any further information about the positive and/or negative effects of specific strains for your symptoms or side effects of specific strains.

I wonder if the efficacy of different Medical Marijuana strains in Crohn's treatment is similar to pharmaceutical medications in their usefulness and side effects. For example, [wiki]Humira[/wiki] and [wiki]Remicade[/wiki] both target TNF - alpha. However, some people find that one may work for them better than the other.

Has anyone found certain strains of MM work better (or worse) for their symptoms?

Sativa strains usually have higher THC content and are known to have longer-lasting highs. This is easily explained because sativa-dominant strains require two, three, sometimes four weeks of extra flowering time before harvest. In part, it's this extra flowering time that makes those strains more potent. More THC = more relief, in a shell. At least, according to this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503660/

The potency of sativa strains has often led connoisseurs or professional growers to recommend them for the medical user. Sativa strains are also known to make better edibles, but I reckon this status is due to its potency. From a scientific point of view, the molecular structure of THC and CBD is identical across all strains, so I don't see why a strain would be better than another. Unless of course THC and CBD aren't the major players in inflammation control, we might then consider another cannabinoid we know nothing about could be responsible.

However, this is all very anecdotal. This information comes from a month of daily Internet scouring across all sorts of sources. Most connoisseurs or professional growers will offer advice based on their experience, but the scientific rigor is often amiss. Until proper grants are authorized to study the plant, we will never know for sure.

Out of the 60+ cannabinoids present in cannabis, we only know so much about two of them. Less than six months ago a paper surfaced on pubmed about the potential roles of other cannabinoids in the anti-inflammatory and immunosupressive processes. For the life of me I can't find it now.

I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, or decades, marijuana strains could be made with very high CBD content and low to no THC content at all. However, it's unlikely growers will be interested in such a thing since I reckon 99% of total cannabis users consume cannabis for the psychoactive effects and the change of consciousness it provides. I doubt very much cannabis sold as "the best anti-inflammatory strain on the market" but that offers no psychological comfort would sell well on the general market. But it'd be the best thing for those medical users who care nothing for the high and only try to evade pain and treat their disease.

PBS produced a documentary called The Botany of Desire which explores how plants have intertwined with our evolution by adapting themselves to our needs to ensure their survival. The documentary offers a 30min segment on cannabis. It's very accessible even to those without any scientific background and is a good introduction to this plant's capabilities. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
I haven't posted here in several months and have only recently been prompted to visit by a PM that I received. After responding to the PM, I realize that I never updated the forum after intending to do so. I guess it's good because it means that my UC is under control and it's sort of "out of mind".

For the longest time after relapsing in February, I was unable to find a strain which benefitted me like the last strain I found (Chocolate Thai). I also realize that I was thinking that an occasional puff would be enough to control my symptoms and that simply is not the case. Here's what worked for me:

The strain that seems to work for me is Blue Thai (a cross between a Blue Dream female (an Indica) and a Chocolate Thai male (a Sativa)). Again, I'm in California, so getting plants to grow was pretty simple. I bought four young plants and gave two to a friend to grow indoors and two to another friend to grow outdoors. Between the two of them, I have enough to last me for quite some time, providing I can find a way to keep it fresh.

I have tried eating it and smoking it, but unfortunately have not invested in a vaporizer, which would probably provide the best delivery for me. For now, smoking it seems to be the best so that I don't over-medicate.

I tend to medicate in cycles. I smoke before I go to bed and do so for several nights in a row in order to keep my colitis at bay. I then go for weeks at a time without medicating at all. So far, so good.

I look forward to hearing from others regarding strains and methods that are working for you.

Cheers!

Chuck

Hello friends,

I have not posted here in a while and figured I share a little of my latest experiences. I have been doing great for 2 and a half years now since i've became a mmj patient. I have joined this forum to help spread the word of medical cannabis to my fellow Crohns/ Colitis family in need of some relief in life ... As I become older it is clear to me that there is not just a little corruption in our government, but also in an abundance of large corporations including the FDA. I want everyone to have the right to be healthy and live happy lives (not based on your financial status). No one should tell you to stop doing something because they think its wrong even though it makes your life worth living. I am here to promote a healthy way of living from an affordable natural healing herb that came to us from the earth herself.

Recently I had an perianal abscess which i'm sure some of you have had and know that it is NOT fun at all. Well luckily my newest batch of medicine has finished up and it has helped tremendously. My crohns have been at bay with months on and off of "antibiotics" for treatment of the abscess that didn't work. They drained it with minor surgery and my MMJ has been an amazing pain reliever through these past few days and keeping my bowels good

Its a shame that these things just happen (3rd time) but in all of this my crohns has stayed perfectly fine, and my appetite has been well, and pain has been relieved. I have my miracle herb for that. My next step is a surgery to prevent it from happening again and I know I can count on my herbal medicine for relief during and after.

Thanks for reading, :ysmile:
Ryan

disclaimer: my thoughts are my opinions only and do not reflect anyone or this website.

I also wanted to share with anyone who was interested. Check out the movie "Burzynski" on Netflix, or check the website. This man is proof that the FDA and our government has been using their power for money and no thoughts of well being for patients. Anyone you know with cancer have them check out this doctor. He seems amazing and I would want hope for anyone of a better life ...

http://www.burzynskiclinic.com/

And if you have a Facebook "like" and spread the word about Medical Cannabis and Crohns.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Medical-Cannabis-Crohns/302612489797660

I usually post information / facts / and news regarding Medical Cannabis and Crohns. Occasionally I post the link to this website in hopes more people will sign up and spread their stories :)

Peace & Love
Ryan

Ryan! Good job! The government and pharmacuetical industrial complex doesn't want you to treat yourself with a plant you can grow for almost free. Think of all the $$$ they would have made off pain pills from your abscesses. I get these as well. I don't ever want to become addicted to opiates again. The said fact is the system is corrupt. My friend was denied a simple Surgury for her neck because they will make more money off her by keeping her hooked on percocets for life. "Think, it ain't illegal yet."

Its sad but true. But I think if we work together to spread our words and stories and SHARE our knowledge we can all live well and happy. We can change things with spreading word. I think the medical cannabis family is going to do nothing but grow and I think the Crohns and Colitis family would be a huge step in the right direction in helping this movement.

As we move into this new age of understanding and information it is easier than ever to find real facts and change things for the better of the people. Enough is enough.

Sorry now i'm rambling. haha ..

I'm posting here because I thought I remember David mentioning the private forum being more active. I'm curious as to what's said in there

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
FullM3lt, you commented in the Medical Marijuana wiki about Cannabis indica vs Cannabis sativa in management of your symptoms:
FullM3lt Comments

I was wondering if you had any further information about the positive and/or negative effects of specific strains for your symptoms or side effects of specific strains.

I wonder if the efficacy of different Medical Marijuana strains in Crohn's treatment is similar to pharmaceutical medications in their usefulness and side effects. For example, [wiki]Humira[/wiki] and [wiki]Remicade[/wiki] both target TNF - alpha. However, some people find that one may work for them better than the other.

Has anyone found certain strains of MM work better (or worse) for their symptoms?
The evidence I have is purely anecdotal...Indica strains seem to relax the body/gut while sativa strains seem to hype me up, almost a stimulant like effect.

I have been using Bubba Kush and Northern Lights #5 (both very indica dominant) for months and they seem to work fairly well for me. Just a few pulls on my vape every other day and my symptoms are almost non existent. I plan to experiment with specific CBD strains like Harlequin and Cannatonic as soon as I can get my hands on the cuts/seeds.

I have tried almost every popular strain out there over the past few years. Oddly enough, most strains seem to do the job but the 2 I mentioned (BK and NL5) seem to work much better. I have anxiety issues and sativa strains seem to make me more uptight while indica strains relax me. It definitely varies from person to person.

Like Francis said, there are over 60 different cannabinoids and we only really know about 4-5. Not to mention the medicinal benefits of terpenoids....and the vast array of terpenoids in different strains. I know OG Kush is another strain that has worked well for me and it is particularly high in the terpenoid limonene....

I'll be doing more in depth research in the next week or so to post in the MMJ section.

For me it is the best pain relief I can have.... Whilst being strong it doesn't have the extreme instant side effects as other strong pain killers... I can still operate like a normal person.

Also I can sober up extremely fast when smoking marijuana which i can not with other pain killers.

I was prescribed Percocet for an abscess that was cut open. I took one and it pretty much just whacked me out. For pain relief, nothing beats an indica strain and ibuprofen. I do my best to avoid ibuprofen because of its blood thinning and ulcer causing properties.

Funny you mention a previous abscess of yours JohnnyO .. I"m in the middle of one trying to heal. It has turned into a fistula and i've been trying to beat it. My Medical cannabis seriously helps me stay sane during these dreadful 6 months...including helping with the on and off pressure / pain of this issue.. it seems like its acting up again, as soon as it was doing better to .. I might have walked up the stairs to quick the other day ... I've also changed my diet and am now starting the SCD diet also. I will let everyone know how things are going after some time. Good thing i've got my natural meds though, they truly save my life

Peace and love everyone.

Funny you mention a previous abscess of yours JohnnyO .. I"m in the middle of one trying to heal. It has turned into a fistula and i've been trying to beat it. My Medical cannabis seriously helps me stay sane during these dreadful 6 months...including helping with the on and off pressure / pain of this issue.. it seems like its acting up again, as soon as it was doing better to .. I might have walked up the stairs to quick the other day ... I've also changed my diet and am now starting the SCD diet also. I will let everyone know how things are going after some time. Good thing i've got my natural meds though, they truly save my life

Peace and love everyone.
Are you on imminosuppresants? I was getting a new abscess every two weeks while on Imuran. And 6mp. Now I get them once a year.

Remicade and a little pentasa at the moment. I actually have that on tuesday, they say it usually helps close them .. we will see. I've had them before but its been over 2 years since my last one. I forgot how much of a pain in the ass it is and how time consuming.

I'm going to take my life back, i'm determined to.

Very grateful for this thread today. I was hospitalized yet again for a Crohn's flare up and have just tapered off the Prednisone (which was working great for my insides and was also great at making me feel insane!) :ack:

But now my inflammation is returning. Insides hurt and face is breaking out again. MM has helped me in the past when I had a card out in CA, so I Googled "marijuana and crohn's" this morning and came across sites related extracting the oil and then found my way here.

Especially appreciate learning about CBD's and how those are more important to pay attention to in the MM than THC if the main reason for taking the MM is inflammation.

Here's a question for you:

Any suggestion for strains that DO NOT have high tendencies toward increased appetite? My appetite is fine, so if I can do without the munchies, or with less munchies, I'd prefer that.

Thanks for all your open sharing.

:soledance:

Very grateful for this thread today. I was hospitalized yet again for a Crohn's flare up and have just tapered off the Prednisone (which was working great for my insides and was also great at making me feel insane!) :ack:

But now my inflammation is returning. Insides hurt and face is breaking out again. MM has helped me in the past when I had a card out in CA, so I Googled "marijuana and crohn's" this morning and came across sites related extracting the oil and then found my way here.

Especially appreciate learning about CBD's and how those are more important to pay attention to in the MM than THC if the main reason for taking the MM is inflammation.

Here's a question for you:

Any suggestion for strains that DO NOT have high tendencies toward increased appetite? My appetite is fine, so if I can do without the munchies, or with less munchies, I'd prefer that.

Thanks for all your open sharing.

:soledance:
Get Healthy Food to eat, still tastes like heaven when you have the munchies :p

Just throwing my 2 cents in here...

I'm recently diagnosed (July 2012) and also happen to be completely clean and sober for over 5 years. I'm not a nazi about it and have no judgments on other folks, but I have landed in a bit of a dilemma here because I heard SO much about how weed helps this condition. AND I don't live in a legal state.

But...after reading so much about it, I decided to give it a try and it definitely DOES help. I REALLY don't want to take hardcore pain meds and I would no doubt get addicted to any opiates right away. Using weed, so far I wouldn't need any other meds.

So - despite my sobriety otherwise - I am feeling ok about this. Although it worries me and pisses me off that it's not a legal option. And in fact, I would choose to juice the raw plants if I could legally grow them and that wouldn't cause any intoxication anyway. (Although that helps with insomnia and anxiety which are treated with other meds I don't want to take. So I'm all for that also.)

I'm not a kid looking for an excuse to get wasted. I'm middle-aged, committed to my program and I suffer from a shitty disease. This helps and it's a safer, saner option than other meds. Period.

David

Co-Founder
Using weed, so far I wouldn't need any other meds.
I'm really glad marijuana is doing you well bluemuse, I just wish it could be medical marijuana :( The quote above concerns me though. Lack of or reduced symptoms doesn't always mean lack of inflammation and mucosal healing which are absolutely critical. Please be careful about being lulled into a false sense of security as bowel damage can occur despite a lack of or decreased symptoms. In my opinion medical marijuana is a fantastic complimentary medication but I get concerned if it is the only medication people are on.

Just throwing my 2 cents in here...

I'm recently diagnosed (July 2012) and also happen to be completely clean and sober for over 5 years. I'm not a nazi about it and have no judgments on other folks, but I have landed in a bit of a dilemma here because I heard SO much about how weed helps this condition. AND I don't live in a legal state.

But...after reading so much about it, I decided to give it a try and it definitely DOES help. I REALLY don't want to take hardcore pain meds and I would no doubt get addicted to any opiates right away. Using weed, so far I wouldn't need any other meds.

So - despite my sobriety otherwise - I am feeling ok about this. Although it worries me and pisses me off that it's not a legal option. And in fact, I would choose to juice the raw plants if I could legally grow them and that wouldn't cause any intoxication anyway. (Although that helps with insomnia and anxiety which are treated with other meds I don't want to take. So I'm all for that also.)

I'm not a kid looking for an excuse to get wasted. I'm middle-aged, committed to my program and I suffer from a shitty disease. This helps and it's a safer, saner option than other meds. Period.
I know plenty of people who are in a 12 step program who still partake of weed. It's very different than alcohol and opiates. My friend just went through hand Surgury, pins and all, with zero opiates!!!! He was mildly sedated with benzos during operation and took cannabis in edible form. He used to be addicted to opiates and now only uses cannabis.

I agree 100% David.
I was unclear...what I meant by that was "any other complimentary meds". As in meds for pain, nausea or sleep. It works wonders for those issues.

I'm actually just now having a problem coming off of Entocort and only being on Pentasa. I was fine and after one week off I'm in pain and nauseous. So I obviously need more or better meds for treatment.

But thankfully, I have a little help from Mother Nature for the discomfort.

Yeah Johnny, I have heard some debates about it here and there in program but not specifically about Medical issues. That's just a different ballpark altogether I think.
Out of kindness and sanity, we need to be able to treat symptoms somehow and this seems the best choice by far. With discernment of course...

Although personally, I also think weed is less harmful recreationally than almost everything else. And then it's about maintaining a healthy balance and being honest about whether we're able to do that.

I don't want to experience any ostracism from using it, but if I do...all I can say is beware of "contempt prior to investigation". A program phrase that should apply in all cases, if in any...

Yeah I wouldn't mention it to AA people. They are kind of nazi/cultists about any deviation. Ironically Bill W created AA while high on LSD( a cure for alcoholism) and after being a part of Moral Rearmament, a christian cult fr early 1900's.

So I haven't eaten any edibles in a few weeks. I'vejust been smoking. Yesterday I ate an edible with kush butter and had the best night sleep. I also had marked decrease in transit time on the bowel movements and very well formed stools! Yay for medical cannabis!

So I haven't eaten any edibles in a few weeks. I'vejust been smoking. Yesterday I ate an edible with kush butter and had the best night sleep. I also had marked decrease in transit time on the bowel movements and very well formed stools! Yay for medical cannabis!
Edibles aren't as fast acting as when the cannabinoids are delivered through the lungs, but the effects are usually much more potent and long-lasting.

Whenever I want a good night of sleep I eat one of these and I'm guaranteed a trip to Wonderland.

Edibles aren't as fast acting as when the cannabinoids are delivered through the lungs, but the effects are usually much more potent and long-lasting.

Whenever I want a good night of sleep I eat one of these and I'm guaranteed a trip to Wonderland.

True but I had a doctor tell me I should eat the cannabis so the cannabinoids go straight to my gut where there is inflammation and cannabinoid receptors. Maybe there is something to that?

The thing with edibles or tinctures is that they are metabolized directly into the gut, which limits interactions with the brain receptors. Whereas when you inhale vapor or smoke, it first goes through your lungs, where it is then assimilated into the bloodstream and goes everywhere, eventually finding the CB1 and CB2 receptors, the bulk of which are in your gut and your brain.

The edibles that goes through your stomach will therefore be prioritized by your bowel receptors, and will be metabolized much more slowly, creating a more localized effect.

Less brain involvement = less of a head high, more of a body high (meaning more pain relief and body relaxation than a couch-lock or euphoric effect).

Your doctor is definitely correct in saying that edibles are more efficient at treating inflammation than inhalation for people with IBD. He seems smart, keep him ;)

how long does it take for weed to make me feel the first good effects (reducing my runs to the bathroom)?
will it work faster by eating or smoking?

I medicate multiple times a day, usually every 4-6 hours. I vaporize about 0.1-0.3g each time. This keeps me pain free all day.

I also eat edibles before bed (usually 2 cookies). It makes me sleep better, and it eliminates almost all of the pain I had when I woke up in the morning.

I have been dealing with severe chronic head pain for the past 15 years and now doctors are recommending Medical Marijuana as a viable option for treatment - since I also have Celiac and Crohn's.

However, I am in the Arizona where it is not exactly legal. I called about the medical marijuana card and they told me how to get the card, but not how to obtain the actual treatment (marijuana). I've never done marijuana before.

So after I get my medical card (which the rep at the marijuana place said I definitely would qualify), where do I take it and use it to purchase marijuana safely? She mentioned Marijuana clubs but naturally I don't know who to trust or where to go. She mentioned the doctor cannot advise or recommend marijuana - only send my paperwork through proper channels to obtain the actual MM ID Card.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am in so much pain and would like to try something other than pain pills - which have all but destroyed my stomach.

Thanks for your help!

Americans For Safe Access website may have more info or NORML. You can also google Arizona marijuana dispensary and see what comes up. Last I read there weren't enough dispensaries in AZ. You can also find out if you are allowed to grow cannabis in AZ with the card. That is the cheapest, safest method of obtaining it.

Would anybody like to suggest to me a strain for growing which is:
- more anti-inflammatory than others
- easy to germinate and grow outdoors
- relatively short for concealed growth
Thanks for anybody who has a suggestion.

Has anybody tried Kratom, if so does it relief you pain and make you feel better but with a clear mind? I would really appreciate hearing, because it's legally ordered online, it's still legal. And you drink it mixed in water. I heard the Gray Malay is an anagesic or anti inflammatory.

Would anybody like to suggest to me a strain for growing which is:
- more anti-inflammatory than others
- easy to germinate and grow outdoors
- relatively short for concealed growth
Thanks for anybody who has a suggestion.

You are in France if I remember correctly? If so I would recommend CBD Crew strains for their high CBD content. They operate out of Spain so if you order seeds you're guaranteed to get them fast.

You can see all their varieties here:
http://cbdcrew.org/varieties/

CBD Outdoor Mix would be a good fit for you.

If you follow this germination guide, you should have 100% success:
http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide

Has anybody tried Kratom, if so does it relief you pain and make you feel better but with a clear mind? I would really appreciate hearing, because it's legally ordered online, it's still legal. And you drink it mixed in water. I heard the Gray Malay is an anagesic or anti inflammatory.

Kratom was banned in Thailand where it has been used for decades. I would avoid any synthetic marijuana. Haven't you heard of bath salts? You don't want to go crazy and chew someone's face off. Stick to the tried and true Cannabis Sativa. In use for 2,000 years.

Yes, but one can get into trouble with that. I was just putting it out there to see if anyone had knowlede of it's affect on Crohn's.

Risk a Slap on the wrist or risk psychosis? It's on a DEA watch list of substances. It will likely be illegal soon. Dude you live in Virginia which is one of many states plagued with OxyContin aka hillbilly heroin. If you purchase or grow small quantities your risk is very low. This is a medical marijuana thread. That's why I'm arguing with you. Nothing personal. Have you tried cannabis?

The only medical benefit I see for kratom is to help with opioid cessation. There has also been incidences where it has caused liver dysfunction. There are no medical papers on its use with Crohn's.

I have been using cannabis off and on illegally for over 10 years with zero legal or medical repercussions. I keep using it because it has been studied and more is known about it and its benefits for Crohn's.

If you want to use something for pain. Use cannabis. Not only does it help with pain but it also helps heal the cause of pain for us... which in most cases is from inflammation and nausea.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=kratom

Look through those results. There isn't a lot there that blows my skirt up.

I would much rather stick with cannabis.

Thank you for the feedback. He is vaborizing pot, but I worry so. And DC is so close too bad he can't participate in their new program. Scratch the Kratom then.:eek2:

I've tried it myself at times, but I feel bad for those whom need it every day. Just like my own illness, there are side affects to it all. And yes there is some truth to hillbillies etc., but his father was one of the unlucky ones when he tried to grow it.

how long does it take to rid the body of marijuana. I smoke it and its illegal here in Ireland. I might be having drugs tests soon for a job. I heard a month. please correct me if im wrong.
ju

You can buy fake urine on the Internet as long as they aren't going to watch you per u will be golden. Just make ire it's heated up to the right temperature or they will know. There is stuff online like Urineluck and whizzinator to name a few.

I've tried it myself at times, but I feel bad for those whom need it every day. Just like my own illness, there are side affects to it all. And yes there is some truth to hillbillies etc., but his father was one of the unlucky ones when he tried to grow it.
I feel bad for anyone who has to take any medication everyday, but cannabis is one Of the safest substances known to mankind and used medicinally for 2,000 years. Hasn't killed anyone yet. Unlike Humira, Tylenol, aspirin, alcohol, cigarettes, Vioxx, opiates, etc.

I don't think I was explaining correctly, for things like my degenerative disc disease and oestoarthritis, fibro myalgia, I sometimes have to take muscle relaxers with an opiate in them, granted it feels good to get the relief, but then I start feeling sleepy and its like coming down.

how long does it take to rid the body of marijuana. I smoke it and its illegal here in Ireland. I might be having drugs tests soon for a job. I heard a month. please correct me if im wrong.
ju
It can be detectable up to four weeks in urine, but it can be longer in some cases if you're a chronic user and have some love handles since cannabis can hide in your fat in trace amounts.

It can be detectable up to four weeks in urine, but it can be longer in some cases if you're a chronic user and have some love handles since cannabis can hide in your fat in trace amounts.
ha so do they take a lb of fat to test...lol
im sure its just a urine test they'll be looking for.

johnny, fake pee!!
a tad extreme. I think ill give it up a month b4 hand. im not a big user.
wkends only!

ju

ha so do they take a lb of fat to test...lol
im sure its just a urine test they'll be looking for.
ju
What I meant is, if cannabis is stored in your fat, it can be released into the bloodstream over time and therefore end up in your urine through filtration for longer than the usual 4 weeks.

What I meant is, if cannabis is stored in your fat, it can be released into the bloodstream over time and therefore end up in your urine through filtration for longer than the usual 4 weeks.
ya, how do you do a sarcastic face. sorry irish humour. we take the piss all the time. make good for smoke buddies.

ju

Drink lots of water and don't exercise at all or burn any fat a few days before your test and you should be good.
shouldn't be hard. sarcastic face:yrolleyes::yrolleyes::yrolleyes::yrolleyes::yrolleyes:

good advise. Im emigrating to Canada this year so ill have time to get a break from it. ie plenty of notice.
did I read somewhere that they can detect it in your hair. not that id give them any of my hair. I think a urine sample is sufficient.
ju

Apparently :)

But yes, forget the blood or hair tests in Canada. Will never happen. Too expensive. If you pass a urine test you're fine.

AFAIK cannabis is not screened for in immigrants?

thanks francis. good to know. however, its best to have a clear head for the interviewing process. I do find it affects my ability to string a sentence together.

johnny, you're a good'un. shampoo, fake pee. you seem to have done your research.

ju

Have any of you struggled with a spouse who is stuck in the, "marijuana is bad because they say it is bad" mindset? If so, how did you help them change their views?

Have any of you struggled with a spouse who is stuck in the, "marijuana is bad because they say it is bad" mindset? If so, how did you help them change their views?
What is your spouse's education level? If you provide her with scientific literature, will she be able to understand what she is reading?

What is your spouse's education level? If you provide her with scientific literature, will she be able to understand what she is reading?
There are delemas like this in life, for instance, my husband hoarding (though that is insignificant compared to this larger issue. If married to a complete control freak you are really going to have to look at options, for instance, when my husband tried that control thing on me, I left, it only took him one day to beg me to come back and on MY terms. I was prepared to back it up too, he changed, a lot.
The other option if you can't or don't want to leave, could be to look for herbs that help or alternatives like, accupunture, foot reflexology etc.

My heart truly goes out to you. And good luck, keep us posted. Kinsey:stinks:

Who is "they" anyway? We are they too. I bet you could get some literature sent to you on the medical use of it, that is if he/she is willing to look at it, or, just set the literature down in a place that he/she may see it.

They're reasonably educated but very comfortable in their box. I don't know if they'd take scientific literature to heart or not. I think the response would be, "Obviously the government and law enforcement have science contrary to this otherwise it wouldn't be illegal."

Sickinlk, I believe that a month is the correct amount of time it takes to metabolize all the THC from your system. I'd look it up on Google to be sure. Good luck with the job!

Huge fan of medical Cannabis right here! I usually vaporize it in a vapor pen, very discreet and effective. Luckily I'm from Washington and have no trouble accessing high quality medical grade Cannabis.
My pet peeve is that it's still called "Marijuana", "weed" or "pot" which really paints Cannabis in the old "Reefer Madness" light. I'd like to see Cannabis viewed as a medical product and respected as such. With my state legalizing Cannabis for recreational use, I'm afraid that just the opposite will happen.

no, myself and my hubby both smoke it. we enjoy it and always have a laugh. we don't drink (I cant) so its our glass of wine so to speak,
where ru from? is it legal in your country?
marijuana is bad if you smoke it all the time and don't function properly as an adult. I have a bro who does just that and is a hermit in his room and doesn't socialize and has no job.
ju

Have been a medical user for almost a year. I went through all the stages of obtaining it legally even before my first try. Cannabis can be an effective supplement to the pharma treatments I am currently using. I also found that it reduces the amount opioid based meds I require for everyday pain management and for more severe times (such as immediately following surgery).

The biggest hurdle for me was getting over the stigma. A lot of my education had steered me firmly to the conservative side of the debate. Once I realized that any type of treatment, pills or otherwise beats being crippled by pain or being rendered unconscious using prescription pain killers, I started the process.

Vaporizing or ingesting the cannabis are the only options I considered. I have young children so I didn't even consider smoking. With some fine tuning for strain (live on Canada's west coast so easy access through dispensaries) and dose (vaporizing offers excellent control) I can say that the results have been very positive.

I'm so unpleasant and useless when I'm symptomatic, my wife often sends me on to back porch for a vapour session. That has to say something for it being benefit ;-)

Now, as the government moves to restrict production to a few commercial growers, things may change. But for now, I count my geographic blessings.

Hey all! New to the forum. I found this thread a couple days ago doing a bit of research on LDN/medical marijuana use in crohn's to try to find some kind of low-tox treatment plan. I was diagnosed about 10 years ago (22 now). I've been a smoker for a few years now, I find it stimulating for certain creative things and also just enjoy the relaxing effect. Living in a big city and being a student at a good university means there's not as much stigma to it as before or perhaps in other places - a lot of kids here smoke and are very productive (some less so, of course). I've been flaring the past couple days and had never really tried to use marijuana that therapeutically for my crohn's, though I saw the munchies and nausea relief as a bonus. After reading some of the testimonies here I used it today and yesterday, when I otherwise might have taken a tramadol, for pain relief. It really works! Of course I smoked more than I usually would on a regular day - do any experienced users have any tips on tolerance? Mine might make this an expensive treatment option on a student budget, though you all seem to think vaporizing is ideal and I admit I've been smoking regular spliffs. In any event glad I stumbled across this - smoking is such a better option than opiates or other painkillers when one is not flaring *too* severely. I even found that I felt less crampy the day after I'd used marijuana rather than meds for pain relief, and I'd even cheated on my liquid diet! Thanks guys! (sorry for being verbose)

I read a study somewhere that found that cannabis has the equivalent analgesic properties of vicodin. I would say this is true of some strains. I think Indica varieties have more pain relieving affects. I like og kush effects but other indicas have been as effective. Bubblegum also has good pain relieving effects.

I read a study somewhere that found that cannabis has the equivalent analgesic properties of vicodin. I would say this is true of some strains. I think Indica varieties have more pain relieving affects. I like og kush effects but other indicas have been as effective. Bubblegum also has good pain relieving effects.

Link? I find it hard to believe that cannabis could be as efficient as opioids. The pathways involved here are completely different.

Yeah, unfortunately I think that when the flare is really bad it's going to be pain meds hands down, just the way it is, but it's still a better option in less severe cases. Bubblegum is a personal favourite but unfortunately the legality of it here is still questionable, so it's super dependent upon available supply (Canada's more lenient than the states in general, but in Ontario I've never heard of medical marijuana being a Thing). Do you find certain methods of ingestion more efficient? I feel that my tolerance kind of makes the analgesic properties wear off rather quickly, but as I said, I've been smoking.

Link? I find it hard to believe that cannabis could be as efficient as opioids. The pathways involved here are completely different.
My bad. It was codeine. But from personal experience it's more effective than Vicodin which just messes up my head for a few hours and requires more and more to get same effect. Although there is a ceiling with cannabis effects, the tolerance factor can't even be compared to opiates.

I find you reach a saturation point like other supplements and then just time to heal. I usually smoke joints or eat edibles.

http://www.cannabismd.net/analgesia/

Yeah, unfortunately I think that when the flare is really bad it's going to be pain meds hands down, just the way it is, but it's still a better option in less severe cases. Bubblegum is a personal favourite but unfortunately the legality of it here is still questionable, so it's super dependent upon available supply (Canada's more lenient than the states in general, but in Ontario I've never heard of medical marijuana being a Thing). Do you find certain methods of ingestion more efficient? I feel that my tolerance kind of makes the analgesic properties wear off rather quickly, but as I said, I've been smoking.
Edibles for pain all the way.

In BC, we have at least a dozen legal(ish) medicinal dispensaries. They operate in the open and honestly help people with serious conditions. I only know of one compassion club (another legal way) in Toronto - http://www.medicalcompassionclinic.com/

That said, you can sign up with Health Canada and order government cannabis for $5/g and it comes via courier. Details here: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/index-eng.php

There are tens of thousands of Canadians who use this program, and many more who use a doctor's prescription at compassion clubs and dispensaries. I'd say legal medicinal cannabis is definitely "a thing" in every province in the country.

Well colour me uninformed! I always assumed it wasn't legal in Canada since I've never heard much dialogue about it here and grew up in the states. Leaving town soon for France, where MM is definitely not legal. Chauvinists. What a botched opportunity! Thanks for the info though, I'm sure similarly tuned-out Canadians will appreciate very much :).

I'm thinking of broaching the subject with my doctor of accessing marijuana for medical purposes through the government. However I don't see Crohn's disease on the list of 'approved' category 1 symptoms. Does category 2 suffice? It's described as a debilitating symptom. I have a few of those!

Also, I am a little concerned that once I apply the government will have all my particulars, including photo, address etc. Not too paranoid, but our current government seems not too supportive of the whole program. Should I be worried? Just wondering if any users have been hassled.

I'm also wondering about the 'grow your own' provision under this program. I would love to do this, but I am conscious of the smell. No planned grow-op production, but even a few plants will stink up a place. Wondering if it is possible to install a sealed indoor greenhouse that will make the rest of the place skunk-free.

Just curious if anyone here from Canada is registered in the program and have any hints of what might be a successful experience. thanks!

any strains out there that don't cause munchies. I certainly don't need the munchies. lol.
ju
leafly.com is a good database of strains. Do note that the reviews are user generated, so they are all subjective and come mostly from recreational user, but it's still a good place to look if you wonder what kind of strain is good for what!

I'm thinking of broaching the subject with my doctor of accessing marijuana for medical purposes through the government. However I don't see Crohn's disease on the list of 'approved' category 1 symptoms. Does category 2 suffice? It's described as a debilitating symptom. I have a few of those!

Also, I am a little concerned that once I apply the government will have all my particulars, including photo, address etc. Not too paranoid, but our current government seems not too supportive of the whole program. Should I be worried? Just wondering if any users have been hassled.

I'm also wondering about the 'grow your own' provision under this program. I would love to do this, but I am conscious of the smell. No planned grow-op production, but even a few plants will stink up a place. Wondering if it is possible to install a sealed indoor greenhouse that will make the rest of the place skunk-free.

Just curious if anyone here from Canada is registered in the program and have any hints of what might be a successful experience. thanks!
I am from Canada and am registered with a license to possess and a license to grow.

Crohn's falls under category 2.
You will see UC and Crohn's listed under section 4.6.7.1 here:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/med/infoprof-eng.php

I intend to write a detailed guide with pictures on how to setup a small, efficient private grow in your home as soon as I am done with this grow.

It is definitely possible, and it's even easy, you just need to have the information in hand.

There are ways to completely eliminate smell issues. There are many shops that are dedicated to sell equipment to grow cannabis. There is so much equipment you can buy nowadays, you can grow cannabis in a closet completely stealthily without nobody ever knowing.

If you have a confirmed Crohn's diagnosis you are definitely eligible. Just know that Harper's Government announced changes for 2014 and that the government is considering abolishing home growing permits and would instead distribute private commercial licenses and people would buy directly from these commercial growers and get their medicine delivered by courier. Many people are opposed to this and it's still not clear what way they will go.

My doctor also completed the forms under Category two. It was simple, once you know the doctor is MJ knowledgeable.

I've never been hassled and I'm not sure I gave the government any additional information that they don't already another way to access. Aside from my stance on the legalization debate - on the same side as the majority of Canadians.

I don't grow, and with the upcoming changes to the program, not sure I'd spend much to equip a home grow if it becomes illegal next year. That said, there seems to be wide array of self contained grow boxes out there. For now though, the biggest hurdle for some seems to be that you need permission from the land owner - if it is isn't you.

Thanks for that. I came across some plants growing on crown land last year, I wonder if that is allowed. It's either that, buying supplies from health Canada, or designating someone to grow. However I have no idea where to begin looking for someone to designate...can't imagine health canada maintaining a list of local suppliers, though that would be simple if they supported the idea. I'd prefer to grow my own, but I'd be more concerned about neighbors etc. So I'm unsure of how to fill out the forms. I've heard bad reviews about the quality of government cannabis.

If you have a confirmed Crohn's diagnosis you are definitely eligible. Just know that Harper's Government announced changes for 2014 and that the government is considering abolishing home growing permits and would instead distribute private commercial licenses and people would buy directly from these commercial growers and get their medicine delivered by courier. Many people are opposed to this and it's still not clear what way they will go.
I guess that uncertainty is what has kept me from applying in the past. They probably wouldn't have resources to audit each person, but all it takes is one complaint from a neighbour and if the RCMP show up it's game over.

I guess that uncertainty is what has kept me from applying in the past. They probably wouldn't have resources to audit each person, but all it takes is one complaint from a neighbour and if the RCMP show up it's game over.
I can assure you the RCMP have no interest in busting medical users.

Consider also that there are about a dozen illegal dispensaries in Canada that the RCMP tolerates because a Superior Court is forcing them too. A superior judge ruled the MMAR unconstitutional. He blamed the government for giving people licenses to possess, but no means to access that medicine. These dispensaries sell cannabis in the open even though it is completely illegal for them to do so. The jurisprudence here wouldn't allow the RCMP to prosecute medical users who already have federal licenses, not until the laws are changed.

The proposed price set forth by Health Canada is $10/g for the new program. I have a prescription for 5g/day, but I probably use about 2g/day. HC expects me to pay 600$/month for my medicine, when I can produce the same quantity for 20$, with a strain and method of my choosing? It's ridiculous. A few MP have already spoken out about it.

You should still apply for your license to possess, at the very least.

I would not buy from HC unless I had to. The stuff they sell is hay.