• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sticky Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

In regards to colitis flares does MM help? Had the occasional dube in college but not since. My GI dismissed my MM inquiry. As Peter Tosh says Legalize it don't criticize it. Any info regarding colitis and MM appreciated.
Namaste,
iriechic
Yes, it helps tremendously.

If you can have access to MM I do suggest you try it and see how it helps.

Screw the GI.

Hey folks, I live in Seattle and we are in a compassionate state for cannabis therapy and crohn's. I even moved here to get regular treatment and every day I meet folks who mention great results. If you have a story to tell, please visit my website https://www.facebook.com/cannabidiolforcrohns There are studies to participate in and lot's of great info. Thank you for placing your feedback here too, it really helps with awareness :)

Hi all. I have had Crohn's from before it was called that. I am currently working on avoiding surgery due to current inflammation. Years ago smoking marijuana recreationaly had a positive effect on my pain, cramps, and quality of life. Years ago the potency of marijuana was much lower than the current products of today. Coming across this web discussion leads me to believe that it may be worth another try. Thanks for all the posts and I will report back as my decision is implemented. After all if it doesn't hurt it's worth a try.

everytime I ask a mainstream GI about medical marijuana they just blow me off. Its pretty aggravating, considering that if their order of business is to help people such as us fight this disease, wouldn't they want to know or investigate or at least learn information coming out of the fold how cannabis can actually help?

its such a stupid ignorant and arrogant attitude.

Joshuaaa--I wouldn't think that it would. I was worried about inhaling any kind of smoke after my diagnosis but my vape got old also and I started venturing back to other smoking options. Now I am fine as long as I dont smoke any kind of tobacco (I found organic hemp rolling papers and those are actually really nice and haven't seemed to have any negative effects). I would think as long as you stay away from nicotine you should be fine.
OH Man! I love tabacco leaf rolling papers. DER I didnt even think about the fact that it was tabacco. :ybatty:

I dont like the hemp papers i have. No paper i've found is as smooth as tabacco.

I was thinking of getting a vaporizor, mainly because I live in New England where it is cold and my son is 4. I dont want to have to go out to the (unattached) garage to smoke, i'd rather do it in the basement or my room but don't want him to smell it. I've read two posts here now that make it seem like it becomes a P.I.A.

Any thoughts?

I'm definitely hardwired to think more smoke = more medication. :/ Are you positive? Its going to be hard to convince my body. LOL

its such a stupid ignorant and arrogant attitude.

Doctors are elitists. They trust information that comes from above or their peers.

It will happen eventually that doctors are in the know and can openly discuss the positive sides of the cannabinoids at least, but even cannabinoid science is foreign to, I would guess, 90%+ of practicing physicians.

And it's sad.

Doctors are elitists. They trust information that comes from above or their peers.

It will happen eventually that doctors are in the know and can openly discuss the positive sides of the cannabinoids at least, but even cannabinoid science is foreign to, I would guess, 90%+ of practicing physicians.

And it's sad.
that's just it though, there are peer-reviewed medical studies being published right now about cannabis. Also, cannabis was in the United States pharmacology books all the way from the mid 1800's to 1940s. this is an issue of lack of education and knowledge of what we already do know.

Hey all,

Not sure how to post a new topic but any insight would be appreciated..... Firm believer that MM could alleviate a lot of my Crohn's issues based on all the information that's out there and the experience of the people on this forum. My biggest concern is interaction with other drugs that I am taking and it's tough to find a good spot to check. Currently I am on:
-remacaid
- pred
- lexapro
- Coumadin
- Percocet
- Xanax
- lunesta

I would love to stop taking pills or at least eliminate some. Anyone have any insight on a good interaction checker or feedback? Because I am in a state that has yet to approve MM I have found that the DR community doesn't really like to discuss this topic.

Just out of the hospital from a flare and trying to get to a stable condition to make some changes. Appreciate any insights.

wish I knew the answer for you but I don't. I don't know how you can function taking all that medication at once. I live in Arizona, where its legal, the doctors here don't like talking about it. Hopefully someone else will have an answer for you.

well you could either move to a state that allows access to marijuana or u could get some on the black market...I'm in the same situation in my state its extremely unfortunate that I commit a felony most days when I use and possess the only medicine that gives me an appetite, relieves nausea, helps with abdominal pain and arthritis pain, helps with headaches, cures insomnia, and the only side affects are being in a good mood, losing track of time, bad short term memory (but only with high doses), slightly increased heart rate (but there have been studies that suggest that it may actually be good for the circulatory system), feeling relaxed, and red eyes. It also decreases bowel motility. You could beg your doctor to prescribe Marinol also...and as far as interactions, I probably wouldn't smoke it Gobucks just to be safe I would vaporize or make edibles (I have no medical training, but A LOT of experience with cannabis). I just purchased a vaporizer on ebay that is portable and works very well for $140. It's not a "P.I.A." at all really I do need to get a car charger to make it more portable tho. I would be willing to bet cannabis could help you get off at least a few of your meds. Its helps me tremendously.

that's just it though, there are peer-reviewed medical studies being published right now about cannabis. Also, cannabis was in the United States pharmacology books all the way from the mid 1800's to 1940s. this is an issue of lack of education and knowledge of what we already do know.
You'd be surprised to see how many doctors never read scientific literature after they leave medschool. They trust their boards to read the latest literature for them and come up with the best protocols for them to follow. Some won't ever attend a seminar unless it's hosted in the Caribbeans (usually by pharmaceutical companies who want to sell the benefits of their latest products).

The peer-reviewed double blind clinical trial results are coming out. There's only been a few in the past few years. Once they all say the same (what everyone in this forum probably already knows), the professionals will start paying more attention and finally realize "duh, we've known about this for 20 years!"

Cannabinoids, the molecules, were discovered in the 90s. That discovery opened the gates, but it's only been 20 years over all. Stigmas and propaganda surrounding cannabis have been perpetrated for much longer than that. It will take many more years, maybe decades, before the science overcomes the prejudices.

It will happen eventually. It's inevitable. But we're not out of the woods yet.

Hello All!
I've been reading this thread for a very long time. I want to thank everyone for all tue wonderful information everyone has been providing here. I wanted to ask.if anyone has or had been taking metronidazole while using MM? How have those two worked together?

I would love to stop taking pills or at least eliminate some. Anyone have any insight on a good interaction checker or feedback? Because I am in a state that has yet to approve MM I have found that the DR community doesn't really like to discuss this topic.
Cannabis could take percocet and lunesta off that list for sure. Prednisone eventually, and even remicade.

Xanax are Lexapro could present a problem. If you're suffering from depression and anxiety disorder, cannabis could exacerbate your symptoms. Cannabinoids have their own private network of receptors in the brain and will not interact with your meds, but it does alter the overall brain chemistry. I couldn't tell you what the mix would do to you. You'd have to try and see. The brain is too complex to say "this won't work" or "this will happen." This is a case-by-case basis.

Coumadin is a blood thinner, there's no interaction with marijuana.

I know it's frustrating but take anything you read here with a grain of salt and double check. Even if all of us were doctors, we don't have your history and latest labs and we don't know you. Maybe your GI doesn't know you better. Ultimately, you're the master of your own body. So long you're an informed master, everything goes in my opinion.

MarInol will do nothing for Crohn's. You need, canibidyole, and that is not Marinol.
Marinol's active ingredient is Dronabinol, a synthetic molecule (nearly) identical to Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Synthetic cannabinoids have not been proven to be as effective as natural ones in clinical trials and in-vitro tests. Furthermore, they may even present risks their natural counterparts do not have.

Cannabidiol (or CBD) is another cannabinoid that, much like THC, has great anti-inflammatory properties, but it has the benefit of not getting you high. That being said, THC alone has induced remission in patients with colitis. Not the synthetic kind like Marinol, but real THC extracted from plants.

Marinol would therefore still help his colitis, but it definitely wouldn't be as effective as the real thing, and there may be risks we still don't know much about yet. Compared to the millennia of semi anecdotal records we have on cannabis, which version is safest to use is a no brainer.

The main appeal of cannabidiol (CBD) is its lack of psychoactivity and its ability to modulate the psychoactivity of other cannabinoids like THC. For example, if you inhale 10 mg of THC and 40mg of CBD together, you will not feel high at all, whereas if you took 10mg of THC alone, you'd be couchlocked for a day.

Lots of exciting times are coming ahead for us IBDers with cannabis research. Terribly exciting times.

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep researching and reading....... I am tapering off the pred now and the Xanax was just prescribed during my recent hospital trip for anxiety around the flare up. I am on the mend and really looking at longer term options to manage the crohns symptoms which ce1210 pointed out w/out all the pharma.

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep researching and reading....... I am tapering off the pred now and the Xanax was just prescribed during my recent hospital trip for anxiety around the flare up. I am on the mend and really looking at longer term options to manage the crohns symptoms which ce1210 pointed out w/out all the pharma.
If you can:

-Find a reliable source of cannabis (reliable means properly grown and properly cured cannabis, and the dispensary or seller should be available to sell to you when you need it)
-Can afford to pay its cost
-Can establish a regimen in which you could take your daily dose(s)

You should be able to let go of all the drugs you currently take for your colitis.

But to be effective at treating the colitis and not just the symptoms you'll have to take regular doses every day. At least 0.5g a day, more would be better.

So depending on where you live and what you pay for potent cannabis (high amount of THC and/or CBD), it can become an expensive treatment.

If you live in a state that is legal to grow it, then you're laughing all the way to the bank and pharmacy because it costs very little to grow your own.

If you have children, spouses, family, friends or people you have to hide your medicating from (depending on legal status or marital problems or etc), it might be complicated to adopt a daily regimen.

I have personally induced remission in myself with cannabis without ANY other medication and no diet change, but I've been vaporizing 0.1g every two hours for over six months. I could do that because I am legally able to grow the cannabis myself (otherwise I would be spending several hundred dollars a month) and I work from home so I can work around my disease rather than the other way around.

Even if you do not have enough to induce remission though, ANY amount helps in the short term at the very least. You'll still feel better, have more appetite, go to the bathroom less often, sleep better and feel no pain when you use it.

The doctor prescribing your SSRI will no doubt object to your cannabis use for reasons I mentioned before. You can still try it and see what happens. Currently, there is as much scientific literature saying cannabis can help treat mental disorders like depression or anxiety disorder than literature that says cannabis makes mental illnesses worse.

So it's not 50/50 but close.

Since you're the one taking all the pills, you have final say on what is OK to take or not. Just remember: get informed :)

Cannabis could take percocet and lunesta off that list for sure. Prednisone eventually, and even remicade.
Not so sure about the remicade. I have Crohns Colitis and have been a regular smoker for over 20 years. I developed Crohn's and fistulas and had to go on Remicade all the while smoking marijuana daily. I've continued to develop fistulas. :(

Not so sure about the remicade. I have Crohns Colitis and have been a regular smoker for over 20 years. I developed Crohn's and fistulas and had to go on Remicade all the while smoking marijuana daily. I've continued to develop fistulas. :(
Cannabis alone has induced remission in patients in clinical trials. For those patients, Remicade or any biologics would become obsolete.

Fistulas are consequence of your disease but it's an indirect cause. Some people are prone to abscesses even in the absence of major inflammation. Cannabis would do nothing to stop abscesses from forming and healing into fistulas in these cases.

However, I'd be curious to know how much cannabis you've been smoking daily for the past 20 years, how potent it is, etc. Have you ever tried ingesting it instead of smoking it?

To be clear I only suggested marinol before because it would have been the only legal option in that case and while marinol wouldn't be as effective as the real thing it would most likely help with crohn's/colitis to some extent and would if nothing else aid inflammation and appetite.

But I have to agree with FrancisK about the dosing of MM, I have noticed it being a considerably more effective treatment when taken every 4-6 hours...

However, I'd be curious to know how much cannabis you've been smoking daily for the past 20 years, how potent it is, etc. Have you ever tried ingesting it instead of smoking it?
I would say an average of one cigerette a day (more on weekends, slightly less on weekdays because of work). I cannot do it during regular intervals througout the day on weekdays because I have to work full time and it requires a brain, not to mention it is still illegal (albeit a misdemeanor now). It has been street stuff. I used to have a stable source of quality M but now a days it seems to be a much less quality product.

I have had crohn's for 14 years and have had no major complications other than the fistulas and 3 extra-intestinal manifestations that are not in the gut.

I'm very very excited that my state recently passed a MM law. No doctor's are licensed to prescribe it yet and dispensaries havent been erected yet but it will come within a year. My GI is very excited and staying on top of it. I'm hoping she'll prescribe it for me, but without major issues i'm also nervous that she'll refuse. I'm hoping that being truthful with her will help, but she's pretty by the books so i figure i have about a 35% chance of getting a script.

I can honestly say that one of the largest remission periods in my life was during a period when I was using marijuana. They do say that correlation does not mean causation though so who knows if it was the true catalyst. That lead though is tantalizing enough to make me strongly consider getting a medicinal card.

I happened to get some M that had lots of CBDs (thanks Francis) so I decided to forego the asacol for the weekend and use MM. I started last night. So far so good.

I happened to get some M that had lots of CBDs (thanks Francis) so I decided to forego the asacol for the weekend and use MM. I started last night. So far so good.
MY MM EXPIRIMENT WAS A COMPLETE SUCCESS!!!
The last dose of Asacol I took was on Friday morning. I started MM at approx 5:30pm and continued taking a few puffs every few hours for the rest of the weekend. I did take a dose of Asacol Sunday night right before bed since I could not wake and bake before work.

I tested the limits of MM on inflamation, let me tell you. I had all sorts of bad foods all weekend (it is my daughters birthday). Not only did i not get cramping or diarrhea, but my BM's this morning were normal/hard (of course to my body normal BM's feel like the worst case of constipation ever).

I cannot wait to see my GI again.

I hate feeling high all the time, but this is proof to me that it works.

Can anyone in a state with up and running MM dispensaries tell me if you can purchase CBD without TCH?

Theres currently no such thing as CBD only strain, sadly. But it's coming. In a few years, we'll have them.

The reason we don't have those strains is simple: we didn't know CBD even existed until recently. Cannabis strains that are popular today were bioengineered over the last decades to maximize THC content. Whereas we now have strains like White Russian that have a 22% THC content, twenty years ago, you would have been lucky to get cannabis with even 5% THC.

Now that we know about the usefulness of CBD, many medical growers in Spain and all over Europe and Middle East have put a lot of effort into breeding new strains that seek to maximize CBD content.

That being said, to avoid feeling high, what matters is the ratio of CBD present vs THC. Ideally you want both cannabinoids in high quantities because THC is also very potent when it comes to fighting inflammation.

What you want to look for is strains with a CBD:THC ratio of at least 1:1. Some researchers have determined that a 40:1 ratio (40 times more CBD than THC in a dose) is enough to completely nullify the high.

The best you can find nowadays are 1:1, like CBD Yummy:
http://cbdcrew.org/varieties/cbd-yummy/

Ideally, you want two strains for your medicating.

For the day, you want a sativa dominant strain. Their cannabinoid profile usually induces a more cerebral high that is more conductive with doing chores, work, etc.

For before bed or nights, you want a potent indica strain like Jack Herer, any Kush variant, White Widow, White Russian, etc. These will knock you out more but will also work more aggressively on the inflammation present where we have endocannabinoid receptors.

I'll warn you right away that 1:1 strains can be hard to find. I had to grow my own to get access to them since nobody in Canada grows these. Neither on the black market or the medical market I have access to.

Lastly, your tolerance to the high will build up over time but the medical properties will be retained. Assuming you keep ingesting/vaporizing/smoking the exact same doses every day, eventually, the high will be barely noticeable.

After my daughter's recent 10 day hospitalization for C-diff infection, I can say that MMJ did not help her. She was taking daily doses of Rick Simpson Oil and kept getting worse. After courses of Vancomysn and Flagyl that knocked out the nasty c- diff she is trying again. It seems to help with pain. I see a FMT in her future.
Vongoh, how is your LDN diary going? Haven't seen a post lately.

After my daughter's recent 10 day hospitalization for C-diff infection, I can say that MMJ did not help her.
Clostridium difficile is a bacterium. Nasty bacteria, too. Cannabis fights inflammation, not infections. They're not the same thing.

Infections can cause inflammation, and the names sound similar, but they're vastly different pathologies. MMJ is not an antibiotic and will do absolutely nothing against bacteria, except perhaps sing them a song in hippy clothes as they pass by each other in your veins.

MY MM EXPIRIMENT WAS A COMPLETE SUCCESS!!!
The last dose of Asacol I took was on Friday morning. I started MM at approx 5:30pm and continued taking a few puffs every few hours for the rest of the weekend. I did take a dose of Asacol Sunday night right before bed since I could not wake and bake before work.

I tested the limits of MM on inflamation, let me tell you. I had all sorts of bad foods all weekend (it is my daughters birthday). Not only did i not get cramping or diarrhea, but my BM's this morning were normal/hard (of course to my body normal BM's feel like the worst case of constipation ever).

I cannot wait to see my GI again.

I hate feeling high all the time, but this is proof to me that it works.

Can anyone in a state with up and running MM dispensaries tell me if you can purchase CBD without TCH?
that's great news! There is a strain that some states are beginning to get Called charolettes web which is low inTHC and is high CBD.

it's still new so hard to find.

Theres currently no such thing as CBD only strain, sadly. But it's coming. In a few years, we'll have them.

The reason we don't have those strains is simple: we didn't know CBD even existed until recently. Cannabis strains that are popular today were bioengineered over the last decades to maximize THC content. Whereas we now have strains like White Russian that have a 22% THC content, twenty years ago, you would have been lucky to get cannabis with even 5% THC.

Now that we know about the usefulness of CBD, many medical growers in Spain and all over Europe and Middle East have put a lot of effort into breeding new strains that seek to maximize CBD content.

That being said, to avoid feeling high, what matters is the ratio of CBD present vs THC. Ideally you want both cannabinoids in high quantities because THC is also very potent when it comes to fighting inflammation.

What you want to look for is strains with a CBD:THC ratio of at least 1:1. Some researchers have determined that a 40:1 ratio (40 times more CBD than THC in a dose) is enough to completely nullify the high.

The best you can find nowadays are 1:1, like CBD Yummy:
http://cbdcrew.org/varieties/cbd-yummy/

Ideally, you want two strains for your medicating.

For the day, you want a sativa dominant strain. Their cannabinoid profile usually induces a more cerebral high that is more conductive with doing chores, work, etc.

For before bed or nights, you want a potent indica strain like Jack Herer, any Kush variant, White Widow, White Russian, etc. These will knock you out more but will also work more aggressively on the inflammation present where we have endocannabinoid receptors.

I'll warn you right away that 1:1 strains can be hard to find. I had to grow my own to get access to them since nobody in Canada grows these. Neither on the black market or the medical market I have access to.

Lastly, your tolerance to the high will build up over time but the medical properties will be retained. Assuming you keep ingesting/vaporizing/smoking the exact same doses every day, eventually, the high will be barely noticeable.
My friends haa a 15%CBD and 5%THC pheno that my wife juices constantly for a rare condition that was killing her off. An elderly grower nearby me has a sour tsunami that she's been privately working on for a decade. It tested out at 24%CBD and well under 1% THC. If I'm lucky, I'll get a cut of it by the end of the year and share it with every single grower and sick person I know. We need to flood the market with CBD so that greedy dispensaries can't get away with selling it for 300+ an ounce. There are quite a few cuts out here in SoCal that are 3 two 1 ratio and in NorCal and Colorado, there are 20 to 1 cuts all over the place. It's so sad that state and country borders completely block sharing this valuable medicine...

On a separate note, it is my firm belief that juicing the buds of these raw CBD plants is more than Crohn's disease can handle. The contact of mine who grows CBD rich cannabis might be doing a private study in SoCal for people with Crohn's disease and juicing. Juicing raw, fresh UNHEATED cannabis is like drinking unfermented grape juice. Dried, cured bud that is then heated (decarboxylated) by cooking or smoking/vaping is like fermented grapes (aka alcohol). There's no more high than drinking spinach juice (specifying for others -- I'm sure you know most/all of this). I am really, really excited to see his results next year.

The contact of mine who grows CBD rich cannabis might be doing a private study in SoCal for people with Crohn's disease and juicing.

Oh really?

OOOOhhhhhh, I should search for studies here in MA where it just became legal this year (there are no licenses or scripts in effect yet and no dispensaries up either).

My friends haa a 15%CBD and 5%THC pheno that my wife juices constantly for a rare condition that was killing her off. An elderly grower nearby me has a sour tsunami that she's been privately working on for a decade. It tested out at 24%CBD and well under 1% THC. If I'm lucky, I'll get a cut of it by the end of the year and share it with every single grower and sick person I know. We need to flood the market with CBD so that greedy dispensaries can't get away with selling it for 300+ an ounce. There are quite a few cuts out here in SoCal that are 3 two 1 ratio and in NorCal and Colorado, there are 20 to 1 cuts all over the place. It's so sad that state and country borders completely block sharing this valuable medicine...

On a separate note, it is my firm belief that juicing the buds of these raw CBD plants is more than Crohn's disease can handle. The contact of mine who grows CBD rich cannabis might be doing a private study in SoCal for people with Crohn's disease and juicing. Juicing raw, fresh UNHEATED cannabis is like drinking unfermented grape juice. Dried, cured bud that is then heated (decarboxylated) by cooking or smoking/vaping is like fermented grapes (aka alcohol). There's no more high than drinking spinach juice (specifying for others -- I'm sure you know most/all of this). I am really, really excited to see his results next year.
I'd be ready to travel to the US in person to acquire clones like that. There's nothing on the Canadian market, not even in BC, that would come close to these levels.

I've been following the debate on juicing cannabis. There are two major problems: the cannabinoids in their acid form are much less potent. THCA has the benefit of not being psychoactive but in revenge you do need to ingest a fair amount of it to achieve comparable results. Which means the only people that could successfully medicate with juicing would have to grow their own plants since from what I've researched, juicers can juice a whole plant a day. And not a small 5 inches tall SoG clone, Im taking a feet+.

Easiest way to achieve this would be to have 30 plants in a RDWC system in perpetual veg, you let them grow into small trees and prune one a day. Easily achievable for those who can grow, but it's not accessible to everyone.

If cannabis was legal everywhere, then mass production of THCA/CBDA extractions would be much more feasible.

Bobbyearle, my 20 year old daughter was diagnosed with severe UC in May and has a MM card. She is using Rick Simpson Oil and CBD lozenges that are THC 5 mg and CBD 25 mg. Very expensive here in the Bay area! We are talking hundreds of dollars! She also bought Kind Caps, 10.2 THC /11.4 CBD. I would be interested in info about the high CBD strains you mention that are available in NorCal. Can she get the seeds and grow it at home? She is a complete novice when it comes to MMJ. Any advice would help.

I'd be ready to travel to the US in person to acquire clones like that. There's nothing on the Canadian market, not even in BC, that would come close to these levels.

I've been following the debate on juicing cannabis. There are two major problems: the cannabinoids in their acid form are much less potent. THCA has the benefit of not being psychoactive but in revenge you do need to ingest a fair amount of it to achieve comparable results. Which means the only people that could successfully medicate with juicing would have to grow their own plants since from what I've researched, juicers can juice a whole plant a day. And not a small 5 inches tall SoG clone, Im taking a feet+.

Easiest way to achieve this would be to have 30 plants in a RDWC system in perpetual veg, you let them grow into small trees and prune one a day. Easily achievable for those who can grow, but it's not accessible to everyone.

If cannabis was legal everywhere, then mass production of THCA/CBDA extractions would be much more feasible.
Just fly to San Francisco or San Jose. The top dispensaries carry so

Just fly to San Francisco or San Jose. The top dispensaries carry sour tsunami. Personally, I wouldn't write off THC. It has benefits
Too.

I agree with you, the ideal combination is both THC and CBD. The last scientific literature I read on that suggested a 40:1 ratio was sufficient to completely nullify the high, so it's a simple matter of adjusting the dosage and ratios. They're both potent and good at their job.

SoCal looks like cannabis heaven from where I stand. All those varieties. Amazing.

++10! more of this^^^^

Bobbyearle, my 20 year old daughter was diagnosed with severe UC in May and has a MM card. She is using Rick Simpson Oil and CBD lozenges that are THC 5 mg and CBD 25 mg. Very expensive here in the Bay area! We are talking hundreds of dollars! She also bought Kind Caps, 10.2 THC /11.4 CBD. I would be interested in info about the high CBD strains you mention that are available in NorCal. Can she get the seeds and grow it at home? She is a complete novice when it comes to MMJ. Any advice would help.
It's so awful how people rip off real patients. The only people who have it good with MMJ are people who treat symptoms or people who just enjoy smoking weed for fun.

http://www.synergymmj.com

This is a place up north that has a cut of the 20 to 1 cbd strain -- and many CBD strains, in general. I hope to drive up and get the 20 to 1 cut ASAP unless I get my hands on the 24% sour tsunami that is down here in SoCal (which I will immediately share to flood the market with CBD and therefore lower the price for people like us who need it to live!).

Search places like budtrader.com -- that is where I found my contact for Rick Simpson Oil down here in SoCal. It's normally INSANELY expensive -- but he charges me $500 for 28 grams of oil. I had remission well before I was even half way through that bottle. Before I found him, I remember seeing an add on budtrader from a grower in SF area who made RSO and sold it for similar rates. Search that site for "rick simpson oil" and look a few months back -- he might still be sharing his oil?

If I can find it, I'll share it :)

Please let me know if I can answer any questions for your daughter. After two years of hell, a nearly ruined 6 fig business of 6 years, missing out on my son's last couple years (he's three now -- so it's painful, the things i missed out on...), and a lifetime of vehemently opposing marijuana use (and alcohol, cigarettes, and even red bulls haha), I went from suicidal desires to healthy and happy.

The hardest part is getting enough in your system -- which will be rendered meaningless when legalization eventually comes through. If you can freely plant these into the ground and grow without fear of prison, you can have a year's supply of RSO for practically free. RSO in 30mg doses is a freaking sham. It'd be like selling 1/100th of a chemo dose to a cancer patient -- useless and a rip off. These dispensaries should be ashamed...

Have you thought about jumping over to Seattle? Or a drive down to NorCal?

I'm not sure where you've heard that cannabinoid acids are less potent? The information is still very limited, so I'm no expert on the matter as there almost isnt' enough info to make an expert :p But the leading mind on the subject seems to be Dr. William Courtney -- and I've only heard him say the opposite.

Pragmatically speaking, the juice is WAY more potent and fast acting than RSO, in my experience with myself and now a few patients I've helped walk through their first week of dosing. In my experience, you need a LOT of CBD leaves, if that's all you're using -- OR you can use less in flowered out buds. In my experience, a couple ounces of FRESH buds (equates to probably an ounce of dried bud, depending on the variety and how it dries out, of course) has been more than enough for Crohn's and other life threatening illnesses. RSO is definitely a bully to Crohn's disease, but in my experience, juicing RAW, fresh buds is the only thing that tops RSO -- and it tops it by a bit, in my experience.

These are JUST my experiences -- but they are lined up with the science I've read on the matter. But we're all learning since so much info is muddied due to prohibition -- so feel free to share more info with me, as well, as what you're saying might have science behind it that I'm unaware of :D

The easiest way to do this, in my experience, would be if cannabis were legal and people could put plants into the ground. The sun has more 1k watt bulbs than any grow room could match, in ground soil is the biggest pot on earth for roots (bigger pot = bigger plant), and soil has lots of life -- so tap water and no need for PH or nutrients in many cases. You could have enough to juice all year long just in fan leaves off of even 6 large plants. Then, when things flower, you have a plethora of buds to make oil from AND juice. All from walking outside and watering them with a hose.

Hydro is incredible -- but definitely not the way to go IF you can grow outside in your area (weather wise, I mean). It's a ton of money, requires a steep learning curve for many people, and most new people struggle with their first few crops. Outdoor -- in the actual ground -- is the easiest thing alive. You just have to worry about pests :)

But you're 100% right. When we get legalization, RSO will be crazy cheap and growing your own for juicing will be a breeze :D

Dialn911 you wrote: studies suggest those predisposed may be at risk, however it is NOT a cause of the mental disorder.

I only said that cannabis cause chronic depersonalization, for schizophrenia, I wrote it was implicated as a risk factor.

But it can be said it's a causative agent. That's not different than any other studied causative agent. Take anti-tnf for instance, they can be responsable in very rare cases of rare lymphomas, along with 6-mp etc. they can be considered as a cause, only cause and sufficient alone, not because if it was, everyone will have those rare cancers.

Why some get a certain disease after being in contact with certain substance and others not is due to many factors, including being predisposed, genetically or otherwise. That's the case with cannabis.

Also, I don't think you have checked the studies I have provided, because some are meta-analysis, there is no such large scale quality studies which contradict my position, particularly recent ones. You can find studies supporting anything you want, but finding quality ones, particularly meta-analysis, is different.

Also note that my reply was to a claim that because it was natural that it was harmless, it definitely is not harmless.

Here an interesting article published in the Wall Street Journal which basically says what I wrote: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324637504578566094217815994.html

Regarding chronic depersonalization, anectodal you say? Polling is more than anectodal, the link between chronic depersonalization and cannabis is direct, more than schizophrenia. They smoke, get depersonalized and remain that way. I don't know how can it be much more direct than that. The movie Numb based on a true story of cannabis induced depersonalization is a good representation of the story of many.

I am not against cannabis use, it can be used as a treatment for pain etc., but it has its side effects, including being a risk factor to some psychiatric disorders.
Here's a response to that article, for those who want to hear the opposing view.

http://blog.mpp.org/tag/dr-samuel-t-wilkinson/

Dr. Lester Grinspoon (Associate Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, senior psychiatrist at the Massachusetts Mental Health Center in Boston for 40 years, a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Psychiatric Association, the founding editor of the The American Psychiatric Association Annual Review and the Harvard Mental Health Letter, editor of the Harvard Mental Health Letter for fifteen years) -- no slouch on the topic of marijuana or schizophrenia -- he set out to show the harms of cannabis a few decades ago (he was close with Carl Sagan -- known pot smoking thinker -- who he, at the time, wanted to convince to stop smoking marijuana as Grinspoon believed it was very dangerous). However, he found, like this guy in the post article, that he'd been systematically misled, as Dr. Sanjay Gupta recently put it. He's now a leading authority on cannabis, has been published a ton on the matter, and wrote "Marijuana Reconsidered".

Dr. Grinspoon, apart from other things, points out the obvious that schiz tends to be a consistent 1% the world around -- so we should have HUGE rates for it in California, for example, where FAR more people use cannabis. No increases, however. He also points out that for every study showing harm (vis a vis patients w schiz), there are studies to show that it helps schiz. So we basically just don't know enough yet other than to say that marijuana can have positive effects on some people with schiz and negative effects in others.

But no scientific literature legitimately validates the claim that marijuana causes mental illness.

And I READILY admit that marijuana can cause some depressed people to become far more depressed. So what...

I'm not sure where you've heard that cannabinoid acids are less potent? The information is still very limited, so I'm no expert on the matter as there almost isnt' enough info to make an expert :p But the leading mind on the subject seems to be Dr. William Courtney -- and I've only heard him say the opposite.

Pragmatically speaking, the juice is WAY more potent and fast acting than RSO, in my experience with myself and now a few patients I've helped walk through their first week of dosing. In my experience, you need a LOT of CBD leaves, if that's all you're using -- OR you can use less in flowered out buds. In my experience, a couple ounces of FRESH buds (equates to probably an ounce of dried bud, depending on the variety and how it dries out, of course) has been more than enough for Crohn's and other life threatening illnesses. RSO is definitely a bully to Crohn's disease, but in my experience, juicing RAW, fresh buds is the only thing that tops RSO -- and it tops it by a bit, in my experience.

These are JUST my experiences -- but they are lined up with the science I've read on the matter. But we're all learning since so much info is muddied due to prohibition -- so feel free to share more info with me, as well, as what you're saying might have science behind it that I'm unaware of :D

The easiest way to do this, in my experience, would be if cannabis were legal and people could put plants into the ground. The sun has more 1k watt bulbs than any grow room could match, in ground soil is the biggest pot on earth for roots (bigger pot = bigger plant), and soil has lots of life -- so tap water and no need for PH or nutrients in many cases. You could have enough to juice all year long just in fan leaves off of even 6 large plants. Then, when things flower, you have a plethora of buds to make oil from AND juice. All from walking outside and watering them with a hose.

Hydro is incredible -- but definitely not the way to go IF you can grow outside in your area (weather wise, I mean). It's a ton of money, requires a steep learning curve for many people, and most new people struggle with their first few crops. Outdoor -- in the actual ground -- is the easiest thing alive. You just have to worry about pests :)

But you're 100% right. When we get legalization, RSO will be crazy cheap and growing your own for juicing will be a breeze :D
How do you juice? I just don't understand how juicing is able to extract the CBD and THC OILS. Wouldn't the oils stay in the plant matter?

I'm in Quebec which is Eastern Canada. Driving to Seattle is something like a week long drive. :rof: I'm definitely not on the best coast for cannabis but I'm working on changing that situation.

I misspoke. From what I had read on juicing, including Dr. Courtney's video and his wife's testimony, is that they juiced the fan leaves, about a full plant each day. The problem was that upon further analysis through chromatography people realized there was very little THCA in them. I believe Dr Courtney says the advantage of delivering cannibinoids in their acid form is that you can ingest a much bigger dose because the psychoactivity doesn't get in the way.

Biochem was a long time ago for me, but I don't thing it's been established yet whether THCA is less or more potent than THC? The psychoactivity can be addressed by using modulators like CBD, so it'll be really interesting down the years to study the difference between the two approaches.

I also wonder why no clinical trials have used this approach either.

I can see how ripe fresh buds could be effective, but man... the cost.

Probably still cheaper than a remicade treatment though. And natural.

I'm extremely pro-education and pro-information. The more we read the more we are informed and the better placed we are to make good decisions concerning our health.

Cannabis has changed my quality of life dramatically at a very low cost: my short term memory is not always functioning as it should and I've experienced motivational issues which I had to work through.

For juicing it's be an easy, cheap and accessible method for sure.

Water is free where I live, and we have some of the lowest electricity rates in the world, so I wouldn't grow in anything but hydro.

There's a new trend in Montreal: people are growing massive green houses on top of big buildings downtown and grow vegetables in hydro. I could see that working for cannabis as well.

Unfortunately the climate wouldn't permit year long outdoor cultivation around here, we get -40F temperatures in Winter, and can get up to 100F in Summer. It's a full 4 season climate.

There are many exciting times ahead for cannabis research. So exciting!

I would just be worried about losing medicine as the plant matter is left behind and the THC and CBD are not inside the juice of the plant but stuck on the outside of the plant. Ill try eating some fresh leaves and see what that is like.

I would just be worried about losing medicine as the plant matter is left behind and the THC and CBD are not inside the juice of the plant but stuck on the outside of the plant. Ill try eating some fresh leaves and see what that is like.
THCA is found inside the plant, not just on the surface in the trichomes.

You can juice fan leaves and still get THCA in them.

For fan leaf therapy, it's almost necessary to have the plant be a CBD dominant variety. These -- even a week after clones are rooted -- have had their leaves tested at 4% cbd. That is NO joke. THC dominant plants' fan leaves don't seem to test high for much of anything -- but if you have a plethora of them, you can definitely juice them. You just need a lot, I believe.

Or so I am told. I don't have much experience with fan leaves other than CBD varieties -- and the fan leaves off of these seem to be very, very wonderful.

My wife eats them whole every day -- like salad -- or blended in a smoothie. They taste awful but I just tell her it's the taste of remission ;)

How do you juice? I just don't understand how juicing is able to extract the CBD and THC OILS. Wouldn't the oils stay in the plant matter?
It's not so much about juicing -- more about ingesting raw, fresh cannabis.

So if you want to actually juice the fan leaves, you need a wheatgrass juicer. This does a great job of getting all of the juice of the fan leaves -- which, if they are from CBD rich varieties, can have 4% CBD -- and then you can take the pulp and mash it through a tea strainer and a spoon or any other way to get every last drop out of it.

Many people simply eat the fan leaves whole -- leaving none of the pulp to go to waste. My wife eats them in salad -- but they taste incredibly bitter and awful. You can do this off of vegging plants -- it's almost like aggressive pruning. If you've got five vegging plants that are on the larger side of a 5+ gallon pot, you can likely grab almost ten leaves a day from each plant -- a great start and possibly enough for someone with Crohn's.

You can also blend them into other smoothies -- this is what i do with the actual flowered out buds when I have enough of them.

RSO can give you 600-800mg of cannabinoids a day -- juicing can give you 3000mg a day and more. You just need plant material. But if you're in a legal state that allows greenhouse growing, throw those plants into the soil after this winter (or in the winter if you have a heater and supplemental light -- or else they will simply flower since its winter/12+ hours of darkness outside) and you could be set in a couple months -- pennies on the dollar :)

It's also nice bc when you're juicing buds, you don't have to be NEARLY as careful with them.

I really need to move to a medical state...I have recently gotten some RSO and think it could put me in remission after trying it, if I had enough but I cant get more than a gram at a time here

I really need to move to a medical state...I have recently gotten some RSO and think it could put me in remission after trying it, if I had enough but I cant get more than a gram at a time here
I'm so sorry you're in a bad state for MMJ :( Having been off pharmaceuticals for exactly a year now, and having success with concentrated cannabis (like RSO), I would 100% move if it were the difference between having cannabis treatment or not. I practically missed the 2nd year of my son's life while I was on pharma pills last year -- I'd move to Antarctica if I had to haha.

I am curious, how much is the RSO you have by the gram (assuming you got it somewhat locally)? And how much are you using while still having positive results (i.e. how long does a gram last you while still being effective?)?

Bobbyearle, I have a question about dosing for RSO. My daughter uses a rice size amount and mixes it with cocoanut oil and divides it in two portions. This amount doesn't cause her any problems when she is doing school work, but do you think this is enough to bring down inflammation?

The "local" RSO or sometimes BHO is anywhere from 40-65 a gram in these parts and I'm using a few dabs a day along with a good bit of actual dry bud...I can really only get the oil occasionally and usually just get dry herb, but I really do want to move so that I could grow my own and make my own oil. I've grown my own here before but its so nerve wracking know that you are committing multiple felonies everyday.

Bobbyearle, I have a question about dosing for RSO. My daughter uses a rice size amount and mixes it with cocoanut oil and divides it in two portions. This amount doesn't cause her any problems when she is doing school work, but do you think this is enough to bring down inflammation?
I can only go by my experiences -- but absolutely not, at least for me.

I have a friend with ulcerative colitis who has had wonderful effects with lower doses like you're describing -- but RSO is only meant to be given in rice size as the starting dose. This size is less than 10% the normal gram dose (probably a fraction of that, tbh) -- and definitely needs to be increased.

I completely understand the school work bit. What an impressive daughter you have -- juggling a heavy sedative (RSO), an awful disease, and schoolwork! What a capable adult she's likely turning into ;) Anyways, the best way to avoid the oil adversely interacting with her daily life is to finish everything you can before bed and have a solid 8-10 hours set aside for doing nothing other than sleeping. For example...

If she needs to be up and at 'em at 9:30am in order to get ready for class at, say, 11am, I would suggest trying to get EVERYTHING important done the night before from 6-9pm (you can use the extra hours the first week or two -- and then your tolerance will build; leaving you with needing less hours). It varies person to person, but if the oil takes 30 min to kick in and it makes work difficult, then plan on taking the oil 30 min prior to taking the night off. So if she finishes everything she needs to do at 7:30pm, and the oil takes her 90 minutes before the effects are too strong to do normal work, she should plan on taking her oil at 6pm -- giving her 15 and a half hours to let the effects wear off.

It's annoying at first -- but your tolerance only builds if you increase the dosage each day -- every day. Personally, within two weeks, I was tolerating the oil easily by taking it at night and getting 8ish hours of sleep -- only waking with some grogginess that is FAR superior to my prior morning cramping. My wife took about the same time. Very few people take much more than 3 or 4 weeks -- and usually the ones that do are because they weren't consistently taking their doses bc they didn't want to feel sedated. IMO, it's a small price to pay for a harmless potential solution.

If she has a hard time figuring out how much she is taking a night, you can easily weigh out a gram of honey -- and then you know "I just need to get to where I take THAT much a day" :) Lots of people buy gram syringes and administer it that way, as well, as you can easily give yourself exact .1g doses :)

Wishing her the best!

Does anyone know anything about trying to use a mix that can be used in a electronic cig?
I use my RSO in a cloud vape pen (I see you're in SD -- tons of dispensaries sell them in SD) -- but NOT as treatment of Crohn's.

In my experience, IBD symptoms are best treated by inhaling cannabis while the actual disease itself is best treated by ingesting highly concentrated cannabis oil (RSO, for example). This makes sense as most people who smoke cannabis will struggle to inhale much more than 100mg of cannabinoids -- while people who ingest oil can get 500-800mg in a day and people who eat raw cannabis can get a few thousand mg a day.

So it's no surprise that I've noticed the pattern of...

inhaled cannabis -> great for symptom control/relief.
ingested concentrated oil (like RSO) -> great potential for disease control/remission.
ingested raw cannabis -> I believe this is the strongest treatment for Crohn's.

So if you're wanting to use RSO for symptom relief (or if inhaled cannabis is all you need -- which absolutely happens for some), you can definitely put it in any vape that can handle sap like wax/hash/oil. But if you're wanting to treat your condition, I would definitely suggest ingesting higher amounts (if you can afford it).

Best of luck!

bobbyearle,
Currently I am only able to treat my symptoms. In the future I will be able to do more but right now I am limited in how I'm able to treat myself.

I went and got my mm card about a month ago and purchased some brownies to eat. They helped SO much! Pain was gone, helped me eat and keep food down, and best of all I slept like a baby. I stopped though because I start work next month and I'm afraid they will drug test me.
It really sucks that I found something that's natural that helps with my CD, but I can't use it. While it's legal in CA, employers still can and will fire you for failing a drug test.

cca2013, do you think once you start your job you will be able to talk to your boss about your use of MMJ for a medical condition? Are you working at a job, like air traffic controller, where you will be tested frequently? It seems if you medicate at night you will be fine the next day at work?

bobbyearle, My daughter tried using more RSO last night and it was too strong for her. She had trouble getting out of bed this morning. She felt dizzy and nauseous. Did make it to class but was late. She may be sensitive and needs to work up the dose slowly. Are these common side effects? She has a GI appointment tomorrow so we will go light on the oil tonight. Her appetite is great and imflammation seems to be going down, but we will confirm this with CRP test and stool tests. Thank you for all your helpful advice!

I was diagnosed with crohns in Jan 2010, I was shocked but didn't really know anything about it, so I thought this wont be too bad just take some meds and itll be fine. Boy was I wrong.. Since then ive had 4 surgerys. went into remission for about the first year and then came out of remission. I was miserable. I didn't think it was ever gonna end!!
I talked to my Dr. about it and he had told me to go on these crohns support websites and look around and see what other ppl were doing to help there crohns.. So I did, a lot of the information was very helpful, but the fact remained I was still out of remission, and very scared, depressed and just wanted to give up.
On different websites I ran across ppl smoking marijuana to ease there pain and help with there symptoms. So I seriously considered this as a possabilaty.. Well I wrestled with the idea of it. morally and what ppl would think, and it hit me one day, Brian your sick, the meds aren't doing there job.. So I bought some and tried it. One of my best decisions. Next time I went to the doc three months later I was in remission again!! I have been since I am proud to say. My advice is give it a chance, it worked for me. It may not help everyone, but it did me. im putting on weight and can live my life with better quality.
Im scared of going through what I did before. Almost dying from where the put my intestine back together after it had came apart in me, I went into shock and had to rushed into emergency surgery. Woke up with a resperator.. I don't want this again. Crohns is nothing to mess around with. I learned how bad it was.
So to you all thinking about it, just try it. It worked for me. Im still on some meds and they do help, but im getting better results on the MJ. Better that with not really any side effects compared to man made meds that can kill ya or make ya have more side effects than the crohns itself!!. Just a thought to everyone. I think the ones that have tried it know what im talking about. Lots of love to everyone, and I really enjoy this site.
Brian

I went and got my mm card about a month ago and purchased some brownies to eat. They helped SO much! Pain was gone, helped me eat and keep food down, and best of all I slept like a baby. I stopped though because I start work next month and I'm afraid they will drug test me.
It really sucks that I found something that's natural that helps with my CD, but I can't use it. While it's legal in CA, employers still can and will fire you for failing a drug test.
Buy Synthetic Urine. It's what they use to calibrate the machines.

bobbyearle, My daughter tried using more RSO last night and it was too strong for her. She had trouble getting out of bed this morning. She felt dizzy and nauseous. Did make it to class but was late. She may be sensitive and needs to work up the dose slowly. Are these common side effects? She has a GI appointment tomorrow so we will go light on the oil tonight. Her appetite is great and imflammation seems to be going down, but we will confirm this with CRP test and stool tests. Thank you for all your helpful advice!
This isn't the case for me -- but I've been told this by several mmj patients who use RSO (waking up feeling groggy, dizzy, and nauseous). My wife, as it happens, is incredibly sensitive in this exact way. Until her tolerance was built up, she felt queazy/wobbly for a few hours.

I'm so thrilled that she is seeing some signs of decreased inflammation! I hope that her tests show some marked improvements at these early stages :D

You're right to take it slow. Just keep the increases coming -- however slowly you have to :)

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I use my RSO in a cloud vape pen (I see you're in SD -- tons of dispensaries sell them in SD) -- but NOT as treatment of Crohn's.

In my experience, IBD symptoms are best treated by inhaling cannabis while the actual disease itself is best treated by ingesting highly concentrated cannabis oil (RSO, for example). This makes sense as most people who smoke cannabis will struggle to inhale much more than 100mg of cannabinoids -- while people who ingest oil can get 500-800mg in a day and people who eat raw cannabis can get a few thousand mg a day.

So it's no surprise that I've noticed the pattern of...

inhaled cannabis -> great for symptom control/relief.
ingested concentrated oil (like RSO) -> great potential for disease control/remission.
ingested raw cannabis -> I believe this is the strongest treatment for Crohn's.
This is a great post :thumleft:

I think inhaled cannabis can induce remission...at least in my case it did. THC has a really long half life and CBD has a relatively long half life. The cannabinoids from inhaled cannabis will build up in your system, just not as quickly as orally ingested cannabis.

I'll agree 100% that orally ingested RSO is the best thing you could do for IBD as far as medical cannabis products go.

What are your experiences with eating raw cannabis? I have been using this stuff for half a decade and I've never tried it. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

@Searchingforhealth Doubtful. My position is mainly working with the general public/office work, but it's a county position so I know they wont understand. And it sucks too because I only take it at night/weekends, so I would be fine at work.

@JohnnyO I've thought about purchasing syn urine BUT I'm not sure how I would use it. Meaning, the last time I took my drug test, we weren't able to take a purse in the bathroom, had to wash our hands with the "tester" present...even before the test began and weren't able to flush. They also had some type of blue chemical in the toilet as well. They seem to be really strict.

I have had UC for 8+ years that has progressively been getting worse. I used MM for about a year and found that it really seemed to calm my bowel down and also stimulate my appetite and generally made me feel better. I stopped using MM when my girlfriend (now my wife) was opposed to me using it.

Now, several years later, I am at a point where I'm having a lot of difficulty keeping my symptoms in check and have considered using MM again. However, I am not currently living in a state where it is legal, so that is one issue. Furthermore, I am a medical student, and I need to be productive and study constantly. When I used MM in the past, it made me relaxed, nonchalant, and I tended to be less productive with respect to my academic studies. I can't afford to do that now, but at the same time, when I'm having lots of trouble with my UC, I'm not as productive either.

I am curious to know if anyone knows of any way to minimize the CNS effects of MM while still maintaining the beneficial effects it provides my gut? Whether that is the amount, method of intake, or something else.

I have had UC for 8+ years that has progressively been getting worse. I used MM for about a year and found that it really seemed to calm my bowel down and also stimulate my appetite and generally made me feel better. I stopped using MM when my girlfriend (now my wife) was opposed to me using it.

Now, several years later, I am at a point where I'm having a lot of difficulty keeping my symptoms in check and have considered using MM again. However, I am not currently living in a state where it is legal, so that is one issue. Furthermore, I am a medical student, and I need to be productive and study constantly. When I used MM in the past, it made me relaxed, nonchalant, and I tended to be less productive with respect to my academic studies. I can't afford to do that now, but at the same time, when I'm having lots of trouble with my UC, I'm not as productive either.

I am curious to know if anyone knows of any way to minimize the CNS effects of MM while still maintaining the beneficial effects it provides my gut? Whether that is the amount, method of intake, or something else.
Hi!

First, about your wife: it's unfortunate that she is opposed but ultimately I feel strongly that it isn't any of her business. You are the one with the incurable disease and the one that has to deal with the pooping, pain, cramps, fatigue, etc. As a medical student you are in the position to explain the physiopathology of your condition and the biochemistry of cannabis in a way that will make her understand why you take it. I too was a medical student, which afforded me enough scientific credibility with my family and entourage to educate them on cannabis. Since then, everybody support my use, and we've even had cannaedibles parties because many people, including my in-laws, wanted to try it and were curious to see how it felt like.

As for CNS involvement: the psychoactivity can be mitigated and even completely eliminated by using strains of cannabis that contain high amounts of CBD. If you are a medical student you should have access to all the NCBI databases, there are many studies on there you'll have PDF download access too that explain the biochemical mechanisms involved in the modulation of the high. In short, many clinical trials opted to give patients doses of CBD and THC in a 40:1 ratio. They discovered certain cannabinoids have the ability to modulate the psychoactivity of THC by interfering with CB1 receptor connections. However the other medicinal properties are preserved because these usually involve CB2 receptors. You will never find a natural strain that produces cannabinoids in that ratio (yet), but it's getting there slowly. In SoCal, they say you can find strains with 1:1, 1:2 CBD:THC ratio easily.

Sativa dominant strains tend to produce a more cerebral high, without any lethargy, because of their specific cannabinoids profile. I tend to use sativa strains for daylight medicating, and a potent, strong indica dominant strain for when I go to bed.

Chronic use will build up a tolerance. I rarely ever get high vaporizing anymore, unless I hit multiple doses at once. I do like to get high on a Friday night while I binge-watch House of Cards on Netflix, but not so much when I'm learning all the fu&^!#% cranial nerves by heart for my neuro exam, yes?

What I suggest you do:
1- Try to find sativa dominant strains and/or CBD-rich strains for day use
2- Consider using it every day at least once before bed so you can start building a tolerance

Stimulants will easily overcompensate for mild highs, so there is that option as well, but there's no doubt that your short term memory will be affected with chronic use. It won't impair on your studies, but you will need to find new studying techniques to compensate, or use methylphenidate.

You're not going to get through this without juggling some medications around if you hope to be at 100% performance capacity all the time. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Good luck!

@Searchingforhealth Doubtful. My position is mainly working with the general public/office work, but it's a county position so I know they wont understand. And it sucks too because I only take it at night/weekends, so I would be fine at work.

@JohnnyO I've thought about purchasing syn urine BUT I'm not sure how I would use it. Meaning, the last time I took my drug test, we weren't able to take a purse in the bathroom, had to wash our hands with the "tester" present...even before the test began and weren't able to flush. They also had some type of blue chemical in the toilet as well. They seem to be really strict.
If you had some in a closable vial you could put it in your bra (under armpit). This will also warm up the urine as the cups also have temp gauges on them so that they can make sure it is warm urine (less likely to be from foreign source). They only need a very small amount.

Make sure you keep it heated up at body temp or you will fail. As long as you don't trip up a red flag they won't have to see "the urine edit the body." So basically as long as you don't fail a test you can do it in stall with the fake heated Lisa in your underwear. Also make sure you have enough or it's a fail.

Last edited:

Your wife is against something natural that is good for your health?! Deal Breaker!!! You have a life threatening illness! Does she really love you?

I'm not saying anything Francis didn't say above (excellent post there) -- but I figure another person echoing his sentiments might help :)

Hands down, the best way to move past the intellectual obstacles that cannabis can bring is chronic use. If you have a couple days off in a row, you can fast track this by using every other hour for much of the two days -- with very heavy doses at night (as you can sleep it off). These are ways you can speed your tolerance up.

I am a full-time business owner/operator -- and I support a family -- so I completely understand the need for a clear head. However, I think a clear head is a simple thing to achieve -- just takes practice, as silly as that sounds :)

Your wife is a different situation and I know that's probably more complex than we can really speak on... I would encourage you to inquire as to why she opposes a natural, plant based medication for the treatment of a potentially fatal disease. Not in a combative sense, at all -- be an inquiring mind. Then research her concerns. No matter what they are, and I can tell you this with relative certainty, they aren't legitimate enough as to warrant total refusal of a safe treatment regiment that you are interested in. And if you simply inquire, do some research (feel free to post here and we can likely fill some blanks in), and report back to her what you've found, you put her in a situation where she has to acknowledge that she isn't keeping your from medicine for medical reasons OR she'll (hopefully) be happy to learn that she was misinformed about cannabis and will support your new use (this is how it went with my own wife).

Best of luck to you ;)

Well, the RSO is causing my 20 year old to experience unpleasant effects, both visual and auditory, when the dose is raised.This makes concentrating on school work difficult. She also wakes up with a headache. Does anyone have a suggestion where we can find marijuana that has only CBD and very small or no HTC? We are in California so it's legal.

Make sure it's oil from an Indica dominant strain. Rick Simpson even suggests using only Indica strains to make oil. Sativas and hybrids cause the mental heady affects. A strong Indica will offer pain relief, anti-nausea, help with insomnia, etc without the negative mental side effects.

Cannabis is not hallucinogenic but I've heard and read anecdotal reports refuting this at very high (and often accidental) doses. Headaches are also not normal, but they could be due to dehydration.

The first thing I would suggest is cutting the dose BY HALF to boot. If that doesn't work, cut it by half again, then work your way back up in bigger increments until your daughter finds the sweetspot between her symptoms mitigation and the side effects.

CBD strains without THC don't exist and you want THC in your cannabis because it's very potent as far as fighting inflammation is concerned. What you want to look for is the ratio between the amount of CBD and THC.

What is her current regimen, exactly? Doe she take a single dose before bed?

I would also look into the American Gut project and related studies regarding diet and inflammation. They are reporting that a paleo diet feeds bacteria that cause less inflammation. Back to the topic: I agree with Francis that THC is anti-inflammatory. Higher CBD strains counteract the paranoia caused by THC. You def want both. Cut back dose until tolerance develops which it will.

I will ask the dispensary which strain was used for RSO that she purchased. She has tried taking the oil in morning or evening and still has unpleasant side effects. Before finding the RSO, she was using medical cannabis lozenges that are THC 5mg and CBD 25 mg. these did not have such noticeable side effects. One lozenge is equivalent to 2 grams dry weight. Do you think this is enough to bring down imflammation in IBD?

Rick Simpson says to avoid dispenasry oil. You should make your own, or drive very far to one of the few dispensarys that test their oil and are respected. There are very few. Elemental Wellness in San Jose tests their medicine. So does harborside. Again, sourcing the herbs and making it yourself is ideal, but not doable for many people. You could find a reliable stable supply of herb by having her sample various strains and them make oil or butter from that. CannaButter will work as good as RSO oil if you can't make RSO from verified and tested organic herb. Good luck.

You live in Walnut Creek? Go to ellemental wellness in San Jose. They have amazing quality clones, extracts, wax, edibles, everything. They can help you find a strain that works and they test everything for mold, pesticides, potency, THC, and CBD levels. They have high CBD and low THC herbs, oils, waxes, and clones.

I will ask the dispensary which strain was used for RSO that she purchased. She has tried taking the oil in morning or evening and still has unpleasant side effects. Before finding the RSO, she was using medical cannabis lozenges that are THC 5mg and CBD 25 mg. these did not have such noticeable side effects. One lozenge is equivalent to 2 grams dry weight. Do you think this is enough to bring down imflammation in IBD?
There is no way to know what dosage will work for her. She should take as much as she can tolerate and cut back if she experiences side effects.

After my daughter's recent 10 day hospitalization for C-diff infection, I can say that MMJ did not help her. She was taking daily doses of Rick Simpson Oil and kept getting worse. After courses of Vancomysn and Flagyl that knocked out the nasty c- diff she is trying again. It seems to help with pain. I see a FMT in her future.
Vongoh, how is your LDN diary going? Haven't seen a post lately.
Have her take S Bhoulardii

I just looked up the RSO we bought from Amsterdam Gardens in San Jose. It is 89 THC and only 25 CBD.It's supposed to be great for skin cancer! She also purchased Kind Caps that are 10.2 THC and 11.6 mg. But hasn't tried them yet. They say CBD enriched? That sounds promising. The lonzenges have the highest CBD amount.
She is taking a variety of probiotics, VSL #3, S Boulardii and Ultimate Flora that has Bifidobacterium Breve among others.
She is tapering her pred and is currently on 25 mg. and is experiencing some pain and alittle blood in stool. We are also considering a FMT. I am being tested to be the donor and GI will transplant via colonoscopy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3423254/--Cannabinoids mediate opposing effects on inflammation-induced intestinal permeability

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3804300/--Immunoactive effects of cannabinoids: considerations for the therapeutic use of cannabinoid receptor agonists and antagonists

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3417459/ --Inhibitoryeffect of cannabichromene on inflammation-induced hypermotility in mice

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...report=classic --Theseresults are relevant to the analgesic, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects of cannabinoids and Cannabis extracts.

Recent studies demonstrated that administration of THC into mice triggered marked apoptosis in T cells and dendritic cells, resulting in immunosuppression. In addition, several studies showed that cannabinoids downregulate cytokine and chemokine production and, in some models, upregulate T-regulatory cells (Tregs) as a mechanism to suppress inflammatory responses. The endocannabinoid system is also involved in immunoregulation. For example, administration of endocannabinoids or use of inhibitors of enzymes that break down the endocannabinoids, led to immunosuppression and recovery from immune-mediated injury to organs such as the liver. Manipulation of endocannabinoids and/or use of exogenous cannabinoids in vivo can constitute a potent treatment modality against inflammatory disorders. This review will focus on the potential use of cannabinoids as a new class of anti-inflammatory agents against a number of inflammatory and autoimmune diseases that are primarily triggered by activated T cells or other cellular immune components.