• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sticky Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

I tried the Quad Dose CBD Chew by CHEEBA CHEWS. Amazing pain relief. Heavy CBD feel to it. I think they are all over CA. Call around. I also like Mary Jane's mini muffins if you can find them they are a deal at $5 per and 1/2 works great. The Cheeba Chews with CBD are amazing though.

oh...was that maybe .25%? if so then thats def not the oil you need and at 89% THC I could see why ur daughter may be having some pretty heavy psychotropic side effects

I've never hallucinated, the worst (back when i was a teen) was that I got lightheaded and layed down for 10 minutes then was fine.

If I smoke with a headache, it makes the headache worse. I rarely get headaches, so it hasnt really been a problem for me.

The Rick Simpson oil my daughter bought is CBD 25.71% and 89.04% THC. The dispensary said that it is made from Indica variety and it doesn't need to total 100%. Way too strong for her,makes her feel very high. She will try the Kind Caps and CBD lozenges. Her IBD symptoms have improved over the weekend from the dosing. I've also just started juicing red cabbage, which is supposed to be really good for the gut. The taste is a bit strong so I'm juicing in a carrot and apple in the mix.

I find this topic interesting and have a question, sorry if it has already been asked!

What is the best way to take it? As smoking is a no no for crohns what is the next best method of consumption? Brownies?

I live in the UK and think it is a farce that if you want to explore this treatment method you have to buy substandard product from some dodgy bloke in the street!

I find this topic interesting and have a question, sorry if it has already been asked!

What is the best way to take it? As smoking is a no no for crohns what is the next best method of consumption? Brownies?

I live in the UK and think it is a farce that if you want to explore this treatment method you have to buy substandard product from some dodgy bloke in the street!
Vaporizing or eating it (after it's been prepared properly) are the best methods of delivery.

If your only option is the street then I'd grow it myself in a closet and in secret. It's easy, relatively cheap passed the first time capital investment (which can be small) and you'll get quality product.

One of the largest marijuana seed bank IN THE WORLD is based in the UK, so you'd get your seeds delivered to you locally essentially.

searchingforhealth--I have been thinking really hard about that RSO being 89% and 25% and maybe I'm too high but that really doesnt make sense to me.

I had MM several years ago, to treat Lupus (before my resection and Crohn's). It was a slow release pill form. My question is: yeah, MM makes you eat more of course. If I was on it for Crohn's, I would think that I would get myself into some real painful situations! (Food in my stomach=disaster.) For those of you that are on it, is it harder to stick to whatever type of diet you are on?

Well when I was a heavy teen user that started gaining weight i would make sure i ate beforehand so that I knew that the hunger i was feeling was just the munchies and knowing i wasnt hungry gave me the mental strength not to eat.

I'm not sure if that helps with your question though.

I was so perplexed by those cannabinoid %'s in that RSO that I emailed new amsterdam yesterday so we'll see what they have to say ab their 114% oil lol

Hey guys :)

I finally have had enough raw CBD fan leaves to juice daily for 4 days. Wildly effective. 25 average sized leaves in the morning. 25 at night. I'm amazed.

If you have the opportunity to get a high CBD plant, get as many as your doctor's rec allows (local/state laws matter here) and just keep them in eternal veg state (never allowing 12 hours of darkness -- which will cause them to switch to fruiting/flowering).

As Johnny posted, that Elemental wellness has AC/DC clones (20 to 1 ratio of CBD to THC). I'm juicing the fan leaves of a 3 to 1 ratio of CBD to THC (15%/5%) and that's working wonderfully. I imagine the 20:1 AC/DC would be only as or more effective.

SFH (searchingforhealth), I would jump on this quickly as you could have 6-12 large bushes of medicinal leaves that you simply juice/blend into a smoothie with NO high of ANY kind. None.

I was at Disneyland yesterday with my wife and son. I had 25 leaves in the morning and nothing else as we were gone. I ate french fries (twice), cheeseburger (twice), chips/snacks, pizza, had way less water than I should have, was on my feet all day... I had a blood free, firm as can be BM at midnight.

If you can get a CBD rich plant, do it. It's looking like it'll be all the medicine (and more) with none of the high (not that the high is a bad thing, per se).

Pulling for your daughter, SFH!

Vaporizing or eating it (after it's been prepared properly) are the best methods of delivery.

If your only option is the street then I'd grow it myself in a closet and in secret. It's easy, relatively cheap passed the first time capital investment (which can be small) and you'll get quality product.

One of the largest marijuana seed bank IN THE WORLD is based in the UK, so you'd get your seeds delivered to you locally essentially.
Thanks for the response, I would like to try making it using brownies but im at a loss as to how much you would need?

It costs about £20 for 2g here, but from what i've read you need 5-10g to make the butter. Would I be able to get away with making the butter with 2g and just make a smaller batch of sweets? Or would it not be potent enough?

Bobbyearle, Thank you for your great suggestions. I looked at the Elemental Wellness website and did not see the variety you mentioned. I see Canna- Tsu, high CBD. Can you send me a link to the 20/1 variety. That sound perfect.

bobbyearle, I can't thank you enough for sending me the link and taking the time to help me! The link worked and this place looks super for high CBD products. I will keep you posted as my search for health for my daughter unfolds. The best to you and family :)

I have a question on juicing the fan leaves. I have a Breviile juicer that I use for juicing fruits and veggies, does this work for the fan leaves? Is there another way to use the fan leaves also, say steep in hot water for tea? Daughter is starting to use ACDC strain 20/1 in a tincture of olive oil and is hoping to see positive results! She is not having issues with feeling dizzy as she did on high THC RSO. She is lowering pred.by 5 mg a week and is currently at 20. mg. I hope the MMJ helps her to stay off pred. and achieve remission!

You really need a masticating juicer for leafy greens. The breville won't do a perfect job, but it will work. You may just need a lot more fan leaves.
Like Francis said :) You can also add extra things (carrots, apples, etc) to help the leaves grab hold better.

A really good wheatgrass juicer is the way to go, I'm told. But here's what we do...

We have a gnarly blendtech blender (like the kind at smoothie shops). I throw in 25-50 leaves, some raspberries, strawberries, pineapple, tangerine/orange juice, and some sorbet (I HATE the taste of these leaves haha).

IMO, this is the best way to do it as you aren't losing ANY of the leaf material. The other way, if your daughter is a salad person, is to grab some lemon, balsamic vinaigrette, and mix it all together with anything she thinks will make it a good salad.

Again, while you're on a few leaves at a time (anything under 40), you want to ingest ALL of the leaf. So go the blender route if she hates the taste (it masks it just fine the way I described) or the salad route if she's got taste buds that are stronger than mine haha (which they likely are -- I am the worst picky eater alive).

So excited you guys got that 20:1 nearby!

Last edited:
I smoke it and find it really helps with my symptoms. When I was having a flare I found that a smoke was the only thing that relieved pain and symptoms for a couple of hours. I still smoke it on a regular basis and couldn't imagine my life without it! If I have a smoke in the morning it more or less settles my stomach! When I was in Amsterdam I hardly had any issues with my stomach. I am from the UK so it does make it hard as its not legal over here which is a shame as there are so many studies to support the benefits of using marijuana.

Dixie botanicals sells a hemp oil that has only CBD. It is legal to buy anywhere. I've never used it consistently enough to notice any effect on my Crohn's (it is expensive). When I take it at night, I definitely get much better sleep - it doesn't make me sleepy but once I am asleep, the quality is better than a regular night without it. I'm really hopeful MM will be legal in NY soon.

i am giving up.

This whole idea of using medical marijuana to treat Crohn's has turned into one of the most frustrating experiances of my recent exsistance. I did obtain some. CBD cannabis oil that seemed to be helping. I was thinking of saturation doseing however the supply has dried up. After contacting over twenty dispensories no one seems to have any available. Most places contacted had suggestions of something to vapor with that would have had me inhaling all day long to even get close to the necessary dose. Most places contated seem to have recreational users as customer and little consideration for those looking for medical relief. Maybe some day there will be a dependable supply with less pot heads involved. Until then I guess I will have to continue to suffer as I have for the last fifty years.

haha I wish I had the problem of local dispensaries being focused too much on satisfying recreational smokers...cause that would mean I had local dispensaries lol

I smoked for years and my symptoms came and went. I stopped 3 years ago and within 2 yrs all went a bit frank spencer. i had emergency surgery, lost half of my small bowel and now live with an ileostomy. Would it have happened anyway? Who knows but I firmly believe smoking/taking it does some good

This whole idea of using medical marijuana to treat Crohn's has turned into one of the most frustrating experiances of my recent exsistance. I did obtain some. CBD cannabis oil that seemed to be helping. I was thinking of saturation doseing however the supply has dried up. After contacting over twenty dispensories no one seems to have any available. Most places contacted had suggestions of something to vapor with that would have had me inhaling all day long to even get close to the necessary dose. Most places contated seem to have recreational users as customer and little consideration for those looking for medical relief. Maybe some day there will be a dependable supply with less pot heads involved. Until then I guess I will have to continue to suffer as I have for the last fifty years.
It could be time to grow your own, if that is an option you can consider. That way you can concentrate on a strain that is literally bred to meet your specific need, & also avoid the "stoner" associations. Just having a small garden can be quite a satifying & theraputic hobby.

I can definitely second what Area Man said. You should really think about starting a small home garden. Even if it's indoors in a small closet you can grow your own medication so you know what is being fed to it and you can even use it for the sole purpose of making tinctures or other concentrates (just always make sure they are made in a safe, healthy way.) Plus having plants to care for is something that brings us closer to nature, which is something we have slowly been sliding away from..

I envy you guys in the US who can legally get their medicine. The UK is still living in ignorance. It's hard to know what the non legal stuff has been sprayed with here, I hope one day the laws catch up to the real world

I envy you guys in the US who can legally get their medicine. The UK is still living in ignorance. It's hard to know what the non legal stuff has been sprayed with here, I hope one day the laws catch up to the real world
Its true, I watched a documentary the other day about how the number of people growing their own is increasing in the UK, but they're not doing it to sell it, they're doing it so that they can smoke without having to deal with the scum bag chavvy f*cks and their criminal gangs etc.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I go to a dispensary that has a very knowledgeable staff.They have a great selection of Indica,sativa and crosses that are indica or sativa dominant.They also offer edibles,oils and salves.They don't hurry you and will discuss each strains characteristics,from heavy CBD to 'stoner' and everything between.I find the indica and indica dominant help me the most.I also have chronic pain from an injury that is not crohn related.I do find,in relation to crohn's,it helps with stress and appetite and an analgesic.My dr.'s office gives classes on making oils,salves and edibles as well as growing classes.I am going to take the cooking classes when they are offered next.I admit to being paranoid about talking about this on the 'interweb',but MM does have it's place as a tool for us to use.It may not be for everybody but it should be allowed as an option to everybody.Just like other meds.

I know there are some experienced and knowledgeable people here and I wonder is smoking marijuana just masks the symptoms or does it reduce the inflammation? Did you checked your CRP, ESR levels after starting marijuana? Did you do scopes? The studies don't say that it reduces inflammation; they only say about CDAI score which is unclear about inflammation.

I know there are some experienced and knowledgeable people here and I wonder is smoking marijuana just masks the symptoms or does it reduce the inflammation? Did you checked your CRP, ESR levels after starting marijuana? Did you do scopes? The studies don't say that it reduces inflammation; they only say about CDAI score which is unclear about inflammation.
Please cite studies if you quote them. Most studies were to find out the negative effects. The DEA has banned studies that aren't negatively slanted to cannabis.

I had a scope that showed improvement after I had been smoking marijuana -- similar to that of a recreational user. My doctor said to keep up what I was doing. That was before I started using RSO.

Recreational use masks symptoms, imo. Highly concentrated doses, however, treat the disease, in my experience.

Anyone here from Connecticut ? Did you obtain a MM certificate ? How was that process ? I see my doctor on the 19th and am planning on asking him what he thinks. Thanks

I had a scope that showed improvement after I had been smoking marijuana -- similar to that of a recreational user. My doctor said to keep up what I was doing. That was before I started using RSO.

Recreational use masks symptoms, imo. Highly concentrated doses, however, treat the disease, in my experience.
I wish they would hurry up and do a study about it. I told my Doctor of my use and her concern is that it is only masking/treating symptoms, not actually doing real good internally.

Hi all, I have had Crohn's for 30 years, and managed it on my own without treatment until new years eve. Since then, I have had surgery. I want to prevent a repeat of this year's adventure, but the recommended medical treatment (Imuran or Remicade or Humira) is a little worrisome.

I would be willing to explore the option of medical cannabis, but I have a totally newbie question:

I am an engineer. Would using MM at levels to be beneficial to promote remission impair mental ability to perform my job?

David

Co-Founder
I am an engineer. Would using MM at levels to be beneficial to promote remission impair mental ability to perform my job?
That's an interesting question and I don't feel I can give a black and white answer, only experiences.

1. I feel pain and/or frequent trips to the restroom greatly hamper ones' ability to perform most jobs. If a medication reduces that, I think that's one in the positive column.

2. When high, I find my ability to concentrate on specific tasks is greatly increased.

3. When high, I find my creativity is greatly increased.

4. When high, I have come up with some absolutely fantastic ideas.

5. When high, I have come up with what I thought were absolutely fantastic ideas while I was high, that, once sober, turned out to be hilariously terrible.

With all that said, you don't have to be perpetually high to treat your IBD. You can utilize it during your off hours.

Hi all, I have had Crohn's for 30 years, and managed it on my own without treatment until new years eve. Since then, I have had surgery. I want to prevent a repeat of this year's adventure, but the recommended medical treatment (Imuran or Remicade or Humira) is a little worrisome.

I would be willing to explore the option of medical cannabis, but I have a totally newbie question:

Really depends on the strain you use. Some of them don't impair you much but have a high CDB count which really helps the pain. I smoke quite often and have quite a high tolerance and can function just fine after smoking. I also only smoke till my pain is gone, not til I'm high as a kite. THC is what makes your head all spinny, and you can get strains with a low count of THC with high count CBD. Charlotte's Web is an example of a strain like that :D

My surgery was a resection removing 28 inches of small intestine and a 135 gram abscess. I currently have no pain or symptoms of active Crohn's, but want to start a treatment plan to prevent it from coming back.

Suggestions?

My surgery was a resection removing 28 inches of small intestine and a 135 gram abscess. I currently have no pain or symptoms of active Crohn's, but want to start a treatment plan to prevent it from coming back.

Suggestions?
CBD cheebachews, RSO oil made from organic flowers after you have sampled a wide variety and found one that agrees with you, edibles, co2 concentrates and dabs for acute symptoms and edibles for maintenance at levels you can tolerate and still function. Ease into it and up dosage as tolerance develops.

Cannatonic strain is pretty good. High on CBD, they are anywhere from 10-15% CBD and 5-6% THC. The Cannatonic strain that I've been smoking has 10% CBD and 6% THC.

I was checking some data, FECO is the better oil, made with regular high alcohol for extraction, not paint thinner like some brands.

dave13

Forum Monitor
'Harlequin' is a CBD strain currently popular around here. 7.43% CBD and 4.12% THC. I like the Sativas for daytime.They give me energy and help me with depression.When I'm home and in for the night I will switch to a nice Indica.'Sour Diesel' is my current sativa and I like 'Kosher Kush' and 'Oh Gee" for Indicas.Just thought I'd throw my opinion in to this thread.

Sup guys i was given the bad news i had Crohns in october 2013 at this time i was already a regular marijuana user i went for about 6 months on alot of different pills much like everybody else takes all of witch made me like 5-10% better. Soon i became very angry about the world and about life cursing me with this fowl disease and i didn't reach remission for a while but as i was suffering and using pills that didnt work Marijuana was the only thing that gave me some sort of get away from this terrible place and pain and Marijuana made me motivated to eat or even go to school believe it or not. All my pain is usually in the morning if i didnt go to school medicated on Cannabis i would fall ill. Now i am on Humira witch works amazing and have been in remission for 8 months now. My doctor knows i smoke cannabis regularly and now that im in remission he would like me to quit but thats only because we are in a state where medical cannabis is not legal.
Hope you read and liked my story, P.S Im 17 and was talking about High School :lol2: ''Im not your average Stoner i can smoke cannabis without it smoking me''

In Massachusetts here but I will not be getting a script anytime soon. Besides the fact that the hospitals/doctors are still working out licensing and insurance issues (at least the good ones are), my doctor told me that she cannot prescribe/recommend MM for regular use to patients who drive or (also in my case) have young children to care for.

I told her that the CBD is what I'm interested in and doesn't have much of a "high" to it but she says there isn't enough viable research/studies done proving that and even if there were there is no way for her to subscribe a certain type.

I understand, but still disappointed to have to obtain it illegally and only what I can get. :(

She's too good of a doctor to switch for MM though. . . at least for now when other meds seem to be working on my symptoms.

In Massachusetts here but I will not be getting a script anytime soon. Besides the fact that the hospitals/doctors are still working out licensing and insurance issues (at least the good ones are), my doctor told me that she cannot prescribe/recommend MM for regular use to patients who drive or (also in my case) have young children to care for.

I told her that the CBD is what I'm interested in and doesn't have much of a "high" to it but she says there isn't enough viable research/studies done proving that and even if there were there is no way for her to subscribe a certain type.

I understand, but still disappointed to have to obtain it illegally and only what I can get. :(

She's too good of a doctor to switch for MM though. . . at least for now when other meds seem to be working on my symptoms.
Ask your doctor if she has ever prescribed opiate pain killers or benzos to her patients who drive and have children. If she replies yes, tell her "your fired", and get a new doctor. Also, most regular doctors won't recommend marijuana because they also prescribe DEA scheduled opiate and other drugs that require a DEA license. Most doctors don't want to risk this license as they make too much $$$ prescribing FDA approved drugs. That's the real reason. Her
Logic is suspect. If you live in a big city and you can do it, get a new doctor stat!

dave13

Forum Monitor
I met my GI for the first time yesterday.I was surprised he didn't object to MM use.He didn't seem to want to discuss it either.I give him credit for treating it as a medication rather than a recreational drug.If he does object to it he doesn't seem to hold it against me.

I agree to the use and acceptance growing among doctors. If they don't agree, but it is legal on the MM books, that is tough. I always like to debate it, but they rarely have more time than a hello.

David

Co-Founder
I met my GI for the first time yesterday.I was surprised he didn't object to MM use.He didn't seem to want to discuss it either.I give him credit for treating it as a medication rather than a recreational drug.If he does object to it he doesn't seem to hold it against me.
That's great :) I wonder if you'll be willing to discuss it with you in the future and you build up trust with one another.

CBD cheebachews, RSO oil made from organic flowers after you have sampled a wide variety and found one that agrees with you, edibles, co2 concentrates and dabs for acute symptoms and edibles for maintenance at levels you can tolerate and still function. Ease into it and up dosage as tolerance develops.
I find it amusing that RSO uses organic flowers, but paint thinner in the process of making the extract. FECO is organic all the way, using grain alcohol that evaporates and I am sure less toxic?

dave13

Forum Monitor
I find it amusing that RSO uses organic flowers, but paint thinner in the process of making the extract. FECO is organic all the way, using grain alcohol that evaporates and I am sure less toxic?
Organic methods are very popular around here.I know of one caretaker who raises talapia,uses there 'organic matter' to fertilize with and sells the fish to a local market.Not everybody is organic of course.

Ask your doctor if she has ever prescribed opiate pain killers or benzos to her patients who drive and have children. If she replies yes, tell her "your fired", and get a new doctor. Also, most regular doctors won't recommend marijuana because they also prescribe DEA scheduled opiate and other drugs that require a DEA license. Most doctors don't want to risk this license as they make too much $$$ prescribing FDA approved drugs. That's the real reason. Her
Logic is suspect. If you live in a big city and you can do it, get a new doctor stat!
I have never been prescribed pain medications by her so I cannot use that argument. Also, I have to admire that she is thinking of all aspects and that she is being thorough and doing due diligence when it comes to prescribing MM (with insurance, licensing, concerns of function-ability in patient's lives).

She has never pushed a drug on me at all. In fact, she took me off the Humira because I asked her to - saying that I don't feel like it is doing a significant job in healing/stopping fistulas.

I agree that the pharma community is a big problem on the push to keep MM from becoming mainstream but I think it is an incorrect assumption that my doctor is pushing pharma. I am VERY confident in my doctor and in her knowledge. I DO think she needs to do more research on MM now that it is a possible treatment (dare I say cure) for IBD.

I was recently able to secure a source of good medical grade cannabis oil and I have to say that its amazing how much it is helping my crohn's sypmtoms. Just smoking medical grade ganja helped tremendously but there is no comparison. The hash oil gives a different kind of effect both medically and "recreationally". I have dropped all my pharmaceuticals except prilosec and I have gone from 60 mg a day to 40 mg a day and will be going down to 20 this week. I have purchased a Micro G pen so even in a non medical state I can medicate pretty much anywhere in stealth. My stress level is at an all time low, and as my tolerance builds I notice that I almost get energy from medicating, whereas at first the oil would kind of knock me out. I REALLY want to get some high CBD to try but unfortunately that is going to be hard to come by around here....

Wow, thank you for all the information here. I have dealt with Crohn's since 2005 and have very bad reactions to all the drugs they have given me. This is great information.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Wow, thank you for all the information here. I have dealt with Crohn's since 2005 and have very bad reactions to all the drugs they have given me. This is great information.
It may not be for everyone.I feel everyone should have the option to considerate it,though.

Yes, I do as well. I'm looking forward to Florida's MM amendment this year. I have always worked on treating naturally and staying away from meds as much as possible, unfortunately flare ups still happen and mm side effects look a lot better than what the Drs give.

I also have been treating my crohns with medical marijuana. I've fortunately been able to stop my monthly injections of Cimzia, and my daily oral doses of Pentasa. I have suffered with crohns for most of my life. I under went a bowel resection surgery that removed 13 inches of my small intestine along with my appendix. I have smoked marijuana since I was about 14. I've always enjoyed the euphoric feeling that it gives you, and the benefits it has on my condition. While smoking or vaping helps with symptom relieve it will not bring on remission for me. Fortunately I came across an article on RSO. I WAS VERY INTRIGUED BY MY FINDINGS. so I made a small batch of the oil as described by Rick Simpson. I was astounded by how affective it is. I truly feel I can achieve remission if I continue to treat myself with edible marijuana. The difference when eaten for me is with out measure. Marijuana effects your body different when ingested. By eating a concentrated dose of oil on a daily basis I'm now able to live a much happier lifestyle. I've recently switched to badkats canna caps. With crohns it is hard to absorb nutrients so by using badkats method it makes the medicine more bio available as well as all organic. Their is a lot of promising work being done with marijuana. The sky's the limit.

CBD doesn't have the same euphoric feeling that THC has. That is why you don't feel as "stoned". CBD is great for inflammation and pain relieve. I would keep using your CBD oil but also seek out an oil that is high in THC. It is also very important that your starting product has been properly decarbed. And bioavailability is important. I mix my oil with soy lethicen and coconut oil so it's readily available for my body to digest. I actually use gelatin capsules and swallow them. Sometimes I empty out my pentasa capsules and replace it with the oil. I do that so the oil will make it to my small and large intestine. I feel that it works better for me if the oil can be released we're I have the most damage.

I'm fairly new to this subject but has anyone switched from biologicals to MM? I've been on Humira for almost 7yrs now and with recent healthcare stuff, it my become unobtainable to me. I'm assuming MM is a lot more cost effective than many other medications prescribed to us. I'm still just starting the research on this as it was just passed in Georgia.

Smoking it is not as effective as ingesting it in our situations. I would suggest Rick Simpson oil when it gets to your way it has put me into remission pharmaceutical free for 40 days now. I hope this continues because it is like my body has set the reset button and its like before I first had symptoms in November 2012. Hope this information, serves you well. Good luck!

I'm fairly new to this subject but has anyone switched from biologicals to MM? I've been on Humira for almost 7yrs now and with recent healthcare stuff, it my become unobtainable to me. I'm assuming MM is a lot more cost effective than many other medications prescribed to us. I'm still just starting the research on this as it was just passed in Georgia.
I have but not with full dr. backing. My doctor is not ready to prescribe MM but agreed to allow me to go off Humira. So far, so good.

Its not as cost effective for me though, Insurance covered all but the co-pay of Humira but the co-pay I could use from my tax free medical account.

MM is all out of pocket and I get what I can get, not from a dispensary.

So far so good. My brain seems to be working MUCH better without Humira. I cant use MM during the day because of work. I still take my Asacol for 2 of the 3 doses per day. Also I think MM works better for inflammation if you can get a high CBD% edible rather than smoking. Smoking (or vaping) is good for symptomatic relief.

Marijuana users, do you have concerns about potential long term neurological effects of marijuana? For example long term memory loss, decrease of analytic skills.
Also, have you experienced short term memory loss after marijuana use?

Last edited:
Not long term, only short term (as in while you are stoned).
I've been a (mostly heavy) recreational user for 23 years. I have not had any long term affects that are noticeable to anyone.

Marijuana users, do you have concerns about potential long term neurological effects of marijuana? For example long term memory loss, decrease of analytic skills.
I doubt people in this forum care about the minor side effects from marijuana. Considering the side effects from steroids and other biological drugs lol.:ylol:

There have been no long term studies on the effect of marijuana on the cerebral development, so there is no way to say with certainty. However, given the brain involvement of CB1 and CB2 receptors, it is expected that heavy use during developmental stages certainly could induce permanent changes in your physiology (specifically how your neurons are wired). Passed your early twenties, all your neurons are wired for good and there's been no data passed this age that shows permanent neurological damage. If anything, it's the other way around. Cannabinoids heal and repair.

Short term memory loss is the biggest side effect that I had to work around. I actually consulted a neuropsychologist at one point because I was concerned about my short term memory being affected permanently. She gave me exercises, the same kind that Alzheimer patients get, to work through it.

I would still say my short term memory is affected, but it has not impaired my ability to function normally. I'm a business owner with employees and work 60 hours a week without a problem. Analytical skills are untouched, and my IQ did not drop after two years of daily use (the neuroshrink evaluated me both times).

I hope this helps.

Yes, I know of at least three people who stopped their Humira to go on MJ when their Humira was started to lose effectiveness, and all three had great success.

However, before you do stop it, I advise you stock up on MJ for a few weeks, months if you can afford it. Cannabinoid therapy is a daily regimen type of treatment, otherwise you will never induce remission.

The most effective way to treat IBD with cannabinoids is by ingesting it. Either with an alcohol based tincture (my favorite), or via another carrier like oil.

To give you an idea, the tincture that I make requires 7g of product and will give me 120ml of tincture in the end (about 4 liquid ounces). That is about 75 good doses for me, about a month's worth.

Tinctures that are administered sublingually (under the tongue) will have an effect almost immediately, much like inhalation, but without the lung damage. All you need is a small bottle with a dropper/pipette in it. You drop 1ml under the tongue, and voilà! Tinctures or cannaoil also have the benefit of being undetectable by law enforcement.

Not only is cannabinoid therapy a good substitute to biologicals, it's demonstrably safer.

If you have more specific questions drop by the MJ forum and I'll be happy to assist you in further details if you need it. :) Good luck mate!

Francis as usual is on the right track with this. From articles that I have read short term memory is only effected during use outside of use short term memory operates normally. The most interesting article I recently read on this topic found that while short term memory is indeed temporarily affected, Long term memory is actually protected by CB1 against degradation. This is why MMJ is given to Alzheimer's patients because it has been shown to help in the fortification of those memories. This being said it explains why loosely people tend to be more nostalgic while smoking certain strains it probably has something to do with those certain of the brain being affect by CBD. In terms of IQ drop that is only true in adolescents and children in terms of adults (depending on the strain) some studies have shown marijuana could actually cause a slight raise in IQ while on it believe it or not. I would think it would have something to do with the fortification of the long term memory centers of the brain though I can not find any studies that back this up. Backing up F.U. Crohns I personally rather deal with some short term memory loss then liver or kidney failure or stroke or joint decay or pancreatitis. Just saying a little short term memory loss pales in comparison to any of those other potential side effects from pharmaceuticals.

I hope this helped and I must add I am not trying to lash out or insult anyone everyone is entitled to do what they think is best for them.

Indeed Joe, I too prefer to deal with short term memory loss over pancreatitis (which happened to me while I was on Imuran) or reduced immune functions (biologicals). An acquaintance of mine is on Remicade and he was admitted to the hospital last week with pneumonia... at 29 years old!

The cannabinoid therapy research on Alzheimer patients is absolutely fascinating. Just mind boggling. Much like HGH supplementation has been proven to be a youth rejuvenation passed a certain age, cannabinoid therapy (for adults) will be demonstrated to be an all-around immune boosting treatment. I would bet my left testicle on it. I intend to take my daily tincture doses until the day I die.

Another side effect that has not been mentioned is how CB1/CB2 receptors seem to modulate motivational centers in the brain. The lethargy is certainly partly responsible for that, but I would not be surprised if studies found that heavy usage in teenagers permanently wired their neurons to be lazy bums. Psychoactive drugs can be great tools -- scientists are beginning to experiment with LSD again because it seems to have tremendous potentials in treating schizophrenia and other psychiatric conditions. But they can also be dangerous.

That's why I usually encourage teenagers that are heavily into cannabis for recreational use to try and drop it until their early twenties when there is no risk of having your neurons wired in a way that could impair you permanently. Occasional use is fine, but those who smoke multiple joints a day? I would worry if it were my daughter or son.

That being said, I had friends in high school who were high 24/7 and one became a CEO who is worth 23 million dollars today. It's clear some people are more prone to develop problems than others.

I agree with you 100 percent and it does have some fascinating and optimistic results in regards to both Alzheimer's and the motivation centers of the brain. Depending on the strain however I think there will be findings that certain strains increase motivation and creation while others do not. This is why I am one whom believes that Cannabis as a whole is what we all know as an immunomodulator from a neurological basis. The studies that need to be performed need to take all these variables we have been discussing into account, with 85 different compounds to sift through the full beneficial effects of cannabis may not be known for decades.

Also sorry to hear about your friend I had a similar situation happen to me in December because of the combination of drugs I was on before I could not fight the bronchitis

Off (I hate that when I press space some time it sends but) I ended up really messed up and it was a contributing factor to my decision once I saw that the oil was working to stop all pharmaceuticals and I haven't looked back since.

Hello

I will be having surgery next week and I am interested in using MM as a means of maintaining remission after the surgery. I am looking to purchase a vaporizer to avoid the health implications of smoking joints.

I live in the UK, what is the best value for money vaporizer out there? I don't have much money to spend

Hi everyone ! So I saw my GI today and he said MMJ would be good for me but he won't prescribe it " strict state laws " I live in CT. He said he would be happy to send my medical records to a doctor who will though. I guess what I need to know is how do I find a prescribing doctor ?

I believe certain internal medicine doctors will write the prescription for you. The statute says any physician can write the certificate prescription but I'm assuming it is similar to Michigan in that alot of doctors don't want to touch it. There are usually doctors associated with any local dispensary so you can start there. If you can't find a dispensary try the government website, there should be one.

Hi everyone ! So I saw my GI today and he said MMJ would be good for me but he won't prescribe it " strict state laws " I live in CT. He said he would be happy to send my medical records to a doctor who will though. I guess what I need to know is how do I find a prescribing doctor ?
I'm going to look into this option in 6-12 months (Massachusetts). My doctor probably wont "send" my files but I have a letter signed, for work, stating I'm under her care for Crohns. I'm hoping that will be enough.

In Michigan I know they wanted all related files on my condition before approving me for MMJ, this included a detailed picture layout of what parts of my colon were inflamed and had evidence of scaring. I hope the letter is enough in Mass but be prepared to give them everything including the kitchen sink.
Bonzo I could not agree with you more in terms of marijuana being safest among those two drugs but you do have to admit they are effective at treating the condition even if marijuana(cbd) concentrates work better.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I didn't know you could legally use MM in states that have not passed it.Am I misinterpreting? That's good to hear,if it's so.

I technically can not, I go to law school in Michigan so I have an apartment out here but otherwise I live in NY. I kid you not when I say I am out of here the day after my last final every semester. I just got the card because I figured why not might as well give it a shot and I am glad I did.

I believe certain internal medicine doctors will write the prescription for you. The statute says any physician can write the certificate prescription but I'm assuming it is similar to Michigan in that alot of doctors don't want to touch it. There are usually doctors associated with any local dispensary so you can start there. If you can't find a dispensary try the government website, there should be one.
Thanks. The problem is CT won't have any dipensarys opening till this summer . There is a clinic about an hour away from where I live that I found on a MMJ prescribing doctors in CT google search. They want $200 dollars just for the appt. and then I think the card is another $100. Do these prices seem right ? I don't want to spend $300 unless this is legit. Also Ct will not be putting out a list of docs who prescribe so even though my doc thinks I can benefit from MMJ I can't find anyone willing to prescribe it. It's very fustrating !:ybatty:

Since we won't have any dispensarys till this summer I might hold off on on getting the card for a few months - maybe the prices will go down a bit - I hope. About how long did the process of obtain a MMJ card take for those of you who have got one ? Are we talking weeks or months ? Thanks.

CA has a decade of experience in handling medical cannabis, so it stands to reason the patient care as it pertains to MMJ use will be cheaper, faster and more efficient in CA. Other provinces still have to find their way, which isn't as simple as it sounds when you consider the fallacy that is the illegality of the substance at the federal level.

Doctors studied 10 years in college to get their degree and now earn a decent living. I understand them fully when they fear losing their license because of federal prosecution. They too have a family to think about, surely.

The next federal elections in Canada may have cannabis legalization as one of the big issues to vote on. Until the US government employs smart people that are capable of reading and synthesizing scientific liteature and realize what cannabis is, I expect you folks down south will have to make due with delays and increased application fees.

It cost me 450$ to get my original grower's card because I had to consult with a doctor from BC, 4000KM from where I live, since I couldn't find one in Quebec to sign my papers. And unlike the states, medical cannabis is FULLY legal everywhere here.