• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Medical Marijuana vs immunosuppressants

Hello fellow crohnies!

I was diagnosed with UC over 25 years ago and in 2002 I had my colon removed and now have a j pouch. I've been having problems with J pouch and having blockages. My new GI scoped me and said I have crohns and started me on Imuran. I am having every side effect possible and now may have pneumonia, headed to doctor this afternoon. My GI said to stop the Imuran until he gets results back for chest X-ray. I'm afraid he will have me try another immunosuppressive med and I'm not sure if I should. I've been looking into alternatives and am curious about medical marijuana and if it really works for crohns. I didn't mention, I don't have a spleen d/t trauma and that already weakens my immune system so any ideas on any treatments other than immunosuppressants would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

scottsma

Hello and welcome.Sorry I can't help ,but there are many on the forum who have tried or are using M.M.We do have a thread which will help while you're waiting, and also if you type it into the Search Box at the top of the page you will get info.

Bufford

I have a colostomy as well for over 17 years now, tried many treatments some helped some didn't. I tried Remicade a couple of years ago and had many side effects which forced me off of it. Like you I became skeptical of immunosuppressants and when my GI suggested Entivio I declined.
I've smoked dope all my life and about two years ago went the route of medical dope. What it does best is set the mood and improve appetite. By late afternoon I get uncomfortable and inhaling it using a vaporizer or conventional means provides some relief.
I am not sure that it will go as far as preventing a flare, but it does improve the quality of life and helps improve sleep.

I got diagnosed with Crohn's in April 2017 and went on Remicade off the bat. I was not told a lot about the drug, but was so incapacitated in the hospital that I wanted anything to fix me. For me Remicade worked really well to get me back out of the flare, but I wasn't convinced the drug was worth it for my severity of the disease, so I went off it.

Now, I have been suffering from a flare-up since Nov 26th, 2017 and the only thing that helps me through it all is the use of marijuana. You have to be cautious when using it because nowadays the THC levels found in MJ are significantly higher than they were a decade ago. I found the perfect levels to help me through the pain, allow me to sleep and help with my nausea. I find a 1:1 ratio of THC to CBD to be the best for me, but everyone is different. If you happen to be in a state that allows medical or recreational marijuana use, I recommend asking your doctor and seeing if they recommend a dispensary that knows a lot about what they're working with.

I personally believe in the power of medical marijuana to help, but there needs to be more research done for Crohn's and other IBD's before it should be your only method of controlling the disease.

Hi, I believe that medical marijuana instantly helped me with my active flare up. I was off my synthetic medication for 2 and a half years and was only using medical marijuana, I was fine and felt healthy. I decided to quit for employment purposes and within 6 weeks I was flaring up again. Using the bathroom every 20 minutes, blood in the stool, cramps, all the standard symptoms. One toke of medical marijuana and I didn't use the bathroom for 12 hours and had a more solid stool. This is a fact. Now that I'm back on Imuran 50 mg and feeling no symptoms. I am not taking the medical marijuana, as Im still trying to get a job that I have to be clean. No flare ups yet. If I could choose I'd stay on the medical marijuana and get off the Imuran because it has less side effects than synthetic meds.

Lady Organic

Staff member
It would be a good timing for you to try it since you are on no medication right now. best to try it under medical supervision. Try CBD oil first as the side effects are really minimal. THC comes with other possible undesirable side effects mostly at the psychological/psychiatric level. It is not because it is a beautiful green plant that is all safe. I am personally very reluctant to consume THC for my mental and cognitive health. Not only I want a good digestive track at 75, but I also want a good brain. I am not sure consuming high amount of THC is safe for the brain if consumed long term.

Hello fellow crohnies!

I was diagnosed with UC over 25 years ago and in 2002 I had my colon removed and now have a j pouch. I've been having problems with J pouch and having blockages. My new GI scoped me and said I have crohns and started me on Imuran. I am having every side effect possible and now may have pneumonia, headed to doctor this afternoon. My GI said to stop the Imuran until he gets results back for chest X-ray. I'm afraid he will have me try another immunosuppressive med and I'm not sure if I should. I've been looking into alternatives and am curious about medical marijuana and if it really works for crohns. I didn't mention, I don't have a spleen d/t trauma and that already weakens my immune system so any ideas on any treatments other than immunosuppressants would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
I am almost NEVER hungry ,I could only eat small bites and be alset, the doctor told me about MM to see if I want to try to help me with eating, so I said ok Im willing to try anything at that point, 5 months later I was on and had a caregiver [because IM poor[Disabled from crohns ,but, main because I was rearend by a DRUNK driver and distroyed my spine, pelvic, hips legs just all my bones , THAT was all the complications that crohns causes , I only go 500$$ for being screwed-up for the rest of my life I was 23 at the time, because I had sever crohns the insurance said my client didnt cause that damage and got away with making me HANDCAP forever sorry about gone off track]]],,,but,, I went from down to 92lb..back to about 133lb about 1 years, I EAT LIKE a PIG now ,,,for real Im a lucky one that can anything , and I eat like im a 400ld guy at only 120-133lb. just ....Except for wieght gain I dont know anything else about it...................Sorry for TMI"

Have you ever tried combining coffee with marijuana? This is how my every morning starts, which is why I'm still excellent, even though I only managed to beat my depression six months ago. Coffee and weed have made me a happy person again, even though I didn't think there was any use in the marijuana before. Moreover, my headaches after two cups of espresso disappear after my first puff. I chose for myself parsl.co , since I am more than confident in the quality of this product. This is where marijuana is ready to do wonders!

Last edited: