• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Medications and mucus questions

I'm going to be having an ileostomy in a few months, and have a couple of questions:

1. Can absorbing medications be a problem after an ileostomy? I saw this mentioned when I was reading about the surgery on web sites - I think this was on an NHS patient guide - but it didn't specify which medications or what you can do if you're not absorbing them after the surgery. Do you have to take them in a different form (pills, liquid, etc.), or do you have to increase the doses to make sure you absorb enough for them to work?

2. My ileostomy is going to be reversible, which I think means the rectum will be left, and I'm told will still pass mucus sometimes. Since I have problems with incontinence now, does this mean I'll still pass mucus unintentionally after the surgery? I also get a lot of discomfort in the rectum before I have a bowel movement, so will I still get that discomfort from the mucus?

Sorry if these are really obvious newbie questions! I'll be meeting with a stoma nurse soon, but I also like to get the opinions of people who've experienced this themselves.

I personally have not had any real issues with medication absorption, though some people do. You may have to time out what part of the day to take your meds, such as taking them when your stoma is less active, before meals rather than after, just so you don't run that risk. You will have high output for the first month or more, so it could be a problem initially. Avoid slow-release tablets/capsules and things with special coatings on them. For instance, just a few weeks ago, when I was purchasing vitamin D3, I chose the liquid softgels rather than the standard tablet just to ensure that it would all be absorbed.

I don't know if you will have trouble with incontinence or not, but I'm thinking even if you do have some control issues, it will definitely not be as much of a problem as it is for you now. As for pain with mucus---NO! Wonderful part of it all!!! I had terrible rectal pain before surgery and now pass mucus several times a day with little notice of it at all. I am aware that I am passing it, but no pain. I sometimes feel pressure that lets me know something is there and I need to pass it, but that's it. You may have irritation initially after surgery as your disease is clearing up, but the mucus itself should not cause any pain.

p.s. Since your colon will still be intact, you may only pass mucus a few times a week rather than everyday..I'm not sure. I have a J-pouch formed (small intestine connected to anus) and therefore collect mucus all day every day.

My mucus poops were initially painful and incontinent as my CD was not controlled and I had colitis.
Once the Humira kicked in along with the daily butt facials - my mucus poops (usually daily for me) they are just like pooping - including the sensation. It feels exactly like doing a poop.

My mucus poops were initially painful and incontinent as my CD was not controlled and I had colitis.
Once the Humira kicked in along with the daily butt facials - my mucus poops (usually daily for me) they are just like pooping - including the sensation. It feels exactly like doing a poop.
EEK! Well, I guess I spoke too soon and was overly confident with my info. Glad you posted, Samboi!

Nyx

I'm glad samboi posted as well! I was about to say not to worry about the mucous as I pass it every day and it doesn't hurt or really feel like anything. It's certainly nowhere near as bad as before my surgery when pooping was agony. I can't speak to the incontinence issue, but I would imagine that you won't have as much 'output' back there as before, so might not be as big a problem.

It was only because I had colitis in the stump.
I would get the cramping sensation, then the urgency.
Then I would have to run and find a bathroom.
I had a couple of accidents.
Now it's all good and all under control.
It took about a year though.

Thanks for all your replies, that helps a lot.

p.s. Since your colon will still be intact, you may only pass mucus a few times a week rather than everyday..I'm not sure. I have a J-pouch formed (small intestine connected to anus) and therefore collect mucus all day every day.
I've already had my colon removed, or most of it anyway. I think at the moment I just have my small intestine attached to the rectum. I'm honestly not sure! It was planned as a much more minor surgery, but when I woke up it was after about 8 hours had passed and my surgeon said they'd had to remove all my colon, but I obviously didn't have a stoma then. This was several years ago. I have the same surgeon now, and since he's said the ileostomy will be reversible I must still have some of my large intestine/rectum left.

I have an ileostomy Jan 15-2014 with rectal vaginal fistulas forever, i was passing sticky mucus at first - now NONE - worried that I'm full and there's blockage - still get the urge, but nothing. What can you take to thin the mucus (to get it moving) ingesting solutions don't seem feasible as oral intake ends up in the pouch - what should I do??
Or, is it normal for the production of said mucus to slow and eventually stop.
No resections, no removal of schpincter and temporary ileostomy I hope, scared of losing the other parts and having no road back. Any info would be appreciated.
Tracy

soloman - It's normal to pass no mucus, I passed mucus for a few days after surgery and never again since then. Sometimes you may get "phantom urges", where you feel like you need to pass something through the rectum but you actually don't. I ignore the urges and they go away.

If you really think there's something blocked in the rectum, it could probably be dealt with by an enema or suppository, but I'd ask a doctor to do a digital rectal examination first to make sure there really is something there.