• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Meds I've been on and Natural Supplements that worked for me!

Asacol - No luck
Prednisone - Gained weight
Imuran - Extreme Joint Pain
Remicade - Took 6 treatments to notice a slight difference
Vicodin for pain

Natural Supplements that worked!
100 mg Aloe Vera
Boswillia
Slippery Elm

M

MathNerd

questions!

Hi, could you please tell me how and in what amounts you took the slippery elm, aloe vera and boswillia? Did you take them during the same time period or did you try one at a time?

I recently (as in yesterday) started taking slippery elm and was wondering about how long it takes before I feel any relief. I'm seeing my doc tomorrow and I know he wants me on 6mp and other stuff, but I'm all for natural remedies.

I took them all in a pill form. All at the same time. The only thing that seemed to really work is the Aloe. I bought mine at Walmart. It came in 25 mg gel pills so i took 4 a day. The others never really worked and i'm not sure how much i was taking. My dads ex was giving me pills by the handful..

I have slippery elm but it has been sitting in my cabinet for
years. Forgot about it. lol

Uneffective Drugs for me:
Prednisone = EVIL. had every side effect known to man.
Asacol= no effect
Azathioprine= started hurting my kidneys
Every antibiotic known to man= temporary fix
Vicodin, Codeine and Morphine = Vomit fest

Drugs that Worked so far:
Remicade- though only after 5th or 6th treatment, then
stopped working and had to decrease time between infusions
from 8 weeks to 7.
Darvocet for pain- though haven't needed it since on Remi

Supplements that seem to Work:
Good muti-vitamin
Probiotics
Digestive Enzymes
Omega 3's
Aloe juice
Honey and cinnamon in Tea
Collodial silver for all of my infections.

Supplements that don't:
too many to mention. You name it, I've tried it.

MINI Cooper said:
I have slippery elm but it has been sitting in my cabinet for
years. Forgot about it. lol.
Me too! Well, not years, but months. I have the liquid kind. 15-30 drops in a glass of warm water. I took it for a while, but didn't notice any difference. I also have Aloe Vera juice in the fridge, which has also been there for months.

Asacol and Colazal and Pentasa- Actually had a *negative* effect from these
Pred - always worked wonders, but got osteopenia and weight gain
Flagyl - didn't really notice anything
Cipro - think it helped a little bit. This is now my "goto antibiotic because I know it doesn't have an ill effect on my gut.
6MP - worked great - had to come off because of extreme fatigue and had Crohnsie symptoms with no active inflammation (weird!)
Methotrexate - felt awful on this - don't feel like it helped
Remicade - great drug - no side effects for almost 6 years - no have a nasty skin rash and effectiveness seems not as good. Just upped dose to 7.5mg at least infusion.
Feel like I'm missing a medication or two in there somewhere....

Never have been able to take vitamins without having it effect my gut. Have just ordered Raw One vitamins (no fillers) to see if I can tolerate them.

Nytefyre said:
Me too! Well, not years, but months. I have the liquid kind. 15-30 drops in a glass of warm water. I took it for a while, but didn't notice any difference. I also have Aloe Vera juice in the fridge, which has also been there for months.
I have the granule kind. I should look for it.
And if you are looking for an Aloe Vera drink that actually
tastes GOOD, my favorite is Trader Joe's aloe drink with
honey and cane sugar.

Meds:
Asacol
Lialda
Prednisone
6-MP
Flagyl
Cipro
Remicade

For Pain: