• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mefenamic Acid

tlc-x

Undiagnosed Teenager
Seeing as the pill wasn't working for me, the doctor has put me on mefenamic acid instead. I was on it a year ago but can't really remember. I know that it obviously didn't work because after that I did go on the pill because it wasn't working.

She doesn't want to put me on any pill because.. well I don't really know. She wants to see me with out my mum and talk about the pill and safe sex and so on. I am a virgin and in my opinion (sorry if anyone disagrees), I don't think people should have sex unless they are able to accept the consequences. I can't accept the consequences, so i'm not even going there to be honest. So she's wants this little appointment to discuss all of this and she thinks i'm lying about it all so I can go on the pill meaning contraception and so on. When really, I just want another type of pill because the medications i've tried haven't helped and the pill did work for years and just recently hasn't helped and i'd like to try a new pill.

So how does this relate to IBD? Well, i'm undiagnosed but to remind everyone, IBD runs in my family. More of them have IBD than don't have it. The chances of me having it is actually pretty high and having most of the symptoms too...

Here is the medication and the details:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Period...aspx?condition=Menorrhagia&medicine=Mefenamic

I have taken it before, and it didn't help but i'm more concerned about it saying DO NOT TAKE if you have Crohns, IBD, colitis and so on. I know i'm not diagnosed, but as most of you know, it can take forever to get diagnosed and taking these kinds of things don't help it and i'm just really asking for advice as to whether it's a bad or good idea.

The site amused me when it says "Do not take if you have or had crohns or colitis." Yes, because people have had IBD in the past, but no longer have it..

It also says not to take if you've had bleeding from your bottom, which I have.

Basically, I do know whether to take it or not because I am undiagnosed and it could just be IBS but at the same time, it's very high chance that I will be diagnosed one day with IBD. I don't want to make anything worse, but I don't know why I am even ill. If that makes sense?

Helppp!

I'll tell you what I would do. I would go back to the GP and say "this hasn't worked for me before, i'm not trying it again". I'd remind her legally I have a right to privacy and am old enough not to be forced into discussing it against my wishes with my mother present. I'd also remind her I've been on the pill in the past (I believe that's right?) and ask why she is making all this fuss now when clearly it's a case of trying another brand.

I would then say, "since for some reason you are concerned about my intent in wanting to go back on The Pill, how about you refer me to a Gyno and i'll ask them to investigate the issue of my bad periods, and they can prescribe what they see fit". This would show I was not looking for a quick contraceptive fix!

You could also try your Practise Nurse, they often deal with The Pill more than GP's and tend to be more sympathetic around the issue of periods.

Catherine

I have a dx of IBS and I would not take this medicine myself. My oldest should not take this medicine as she is dx with crohns and asthma. But I would not give this to my younger two daughters due to their sister's history.

If your GP is concerned you want the pill for contraceptive, why is prescribe med that should not be used in pregnancy. Did the GP warn you of that risk.

This is my personal opinion.

Astra

And I took it for donkey's years from the age of 14 and I think it contributed to my endometriosis, Crohn's and eventual hysterectomy, so I wouldn't recommend it.
A doc mentioned it to my daughter once and I said no way!

I think you should register with a new GP, one who treats you as an adult and respects your wishes, you're old enough to make your own decisions about the pill, whether it's for contraception or not!
It's got F - all to do with her, nosey cow!
Sorry but GPs make me so mad sometimes, see the nurse instead!