• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Melatonin experiences

nogutsnoglory

I don't have trouble falling asleep but I'm always fatigued and don't find sleep rejuvenating. Wondering if anyone has tried melatonin and at what dose? Has it helped and is it ok crohns wise?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi NGNG. I talked to the pharmacist about taking it and she said it was fine. However, when I got home and read the fine print it said not to use if on immunosupressant drugs. I didn't want to chance it. Still confused.

My GI suggested I take melatonin while I was on Humira...I wasn't sleeping well from pain and steroids at the time, so that's why. I have used it and done fine with it, just maybe clear it with your doc first?

My research actually found that Melatonin is good for Crohns but NOT good if you are thinking about reproduction in the future.

I was going to start taking it on a regular basis when I was 100% sure i'm done having children.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I take it when I go through bouts of insomnia, I found it helped a great deal. I just took the dose that was on bottle. I did it for a couple of weeks straight combined with cognitive behavioural therapy. I made sure to listen to the same music playlist every night, and after the the period of melatonin I would continue to listen to the same playlist. That helped, now I take it as needed if I have issues.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I have only tried it in tea forms (as an added ingredient in teas). I found it to be very calming/relaxing.

Haven't had it though since before I started 6-mp so I have no knowledge of whether or not it affects the immune system or not as mentioned above.

nogutsnoglory

Wow DJW, thanks that is pretty scary. Would you guys who have taken It say it helped make your sleep more rejuvenating?

Crohnschicago I didn't even know it could be added to tea, maybe it would be best to try a lighter version like that first.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Looks like I should probably avoid taking it in the future according to this. It lists all types of medications that you should not use melatonin with including steroids and immunosuppressors. Valerian root sounds like something worth looking into.

https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement-interaction/possible-interactions-with-melatonin
Steroids and immunosuppressant medications -- People should not take melatonin with corticosteroids or other medications used to suppress the immune system because the supplement may cause them to be ineffective.

theOcean

There's a bit of information on it here. :) I have a tea with it but haven't used it in awhile... I might try and use it again tonight or tomorrow and see how that goes. I'll report back if I do.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Dangit, looks like I can't have this either according to that link you provided since 6-mp is broken down in the liver.

Medications changed by the liver (Cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) substrates) interacts with VALERIAN

Some medications are changed and broken down by the liver.
Valerian might decrease how quickly the liver breaks down some medications. Taking valerian along with some medications that are broken down by the liver can increase the effects and side effects of some medications. Before taking valerian, talk to your healthcare provider if you are taking any medications that are changed by the liver.
Some medications changed by the liver include lovastatin (Mevacor), ketoconazole (Nizoral), itraconazole (Sporanox), fexofenadine (Allegra), triazolam (Halcion), and many others.
There's a bit of information on it here. :) I have a tea with it but haven't used it in awhile... I might try and use it again tonight or tomorrow and see how that goes. I'll report back if I do.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I don't have a link, but someone in the Undiagnosed Club quite awhile ago said that melatonin is an immune system booster. So it would make sense that you can't take it with immuno-suppressants, as they may just end up cancelling each other out.

To help me sleep, I take 25 mg Amitriptyline each night before bed. It's a tri-cyclic anti-depressant at higher doses, but at lower doses, it can help supposedly "calm" the bowels and it can also prevent migraines & headaches. I take it for my migraines and it works well for that purpose, it doesn't seem to do anything for my guts, and it helps me sleep. It's prescription-only so it's something you'll have to ask your doctor about if you're interested. I had asked my doctor about a non-habit-forming sleep aid, and I was told that Amitriptyline would help with my migraines, my guts, and my sleep. Well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad. ;)

theOcean

This shouldn't be nearly as complicated as it is for us to get some good sleep!! :p

I used to take zopiclone for my sleep until it stopped working on me, and then I was put on clonazepam but my resistance built up to it so quickly that it became really dangerous and I almost tipped into overdose territory (thankfully nothing happened and I was promptly educated about it by my doctor). I use MMJ every so often to help me sleep, but it's not as consistent as I wish it would be.

I´m on Aza (and now on Humira too) but I have used 5mg Melatonin on heavy jetlag and getting used to different time zones. 5mg before bedtime, as long as I have to. Usually 3 to 5 days, not longer, I do not want to get used to it!

No problems at all. I take it only when travelling long distances, usually 6-8 times a year. Never even thought that it may cause some trouble with my meds. Maybe I should check what my doc says....

I am on amitritptyline, too, although it is for my fibromyalgia and migraines. It does help me sleep a little, but not as much as I would like. Lately though I have been conking out because of Flexeril that I take for my fibro. Not too bad of a side effect, eh? :)

theOcean

I am on amitritptyline, too, although it is for my fibromyalgia and migraines. It does help me sleep a little, but not as much as I would like. Lately though I have been conking out because of Flexeril that I take for my fibro. Not too bad of a side effect, eh? :)
I'm jealous. :p I like my Humira days because I take Benadryl to deal with the injection site reactions, and it also makes me pass out for a nice little nap during the day.

I have taken it on occassion for many years. My rheumy is the one who suggested it, and this is at times when I was also taking prednisone and immunosupressants. Never had a problem.

Wow I find this thread very interesting. Starting tonight I'm at 150mg aza , today was my last day of prednisone taper but will start entocort tomorrow 9mgs. I have had sleep issues before I had Crohn's. I take xanax .5 and Ambien 10mg to help me sleep but somes times I skip the Ambein and take Melation or zzzquill because the Ambein is not as affective as it used to be. Thank you all for this info. It is something I will talk with my doctor about.

I'm jealous. :p I like my Humira days because I take Benadryl to deal with the injection site reactions, and it also makes me pass out for a nice little nap during the day.
I will take 1 Benadryl tab when I want to have good sleep. Also I have started wearing ear plugs because I wake at the smallest sound. Maybe a noise machine or ear plugs may help. You may be waking from noises that you don't realize disturb you. (?)

theOcean

I sometimes fall asleep listening to brown noise, actually. Now that it's getting warmer here I sleep with a fan on and the noise from that helps. My bedroom is right outside the kitchen/living room so my mother waking up and using those areas usually disturbs my sleep.

theOcean

Noooooo! Oh my gosh. :p

This website has a noise generator as well as an iOS app that does the same. One of the options is brown noise, which is the sound of a fan. When I put that to oscillate it sounds really calming. There's some other ambient noise generators -- rainymood -- which are nice as well.

I take melatonin every night. I really like it, and find it really helps.
If you fall asleep easy but dont' feel refreshed you may be waking up throughout the night and nto know it. I don't know your situation, but a lot of times sleep apnea is the cause.