• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Melatonin

I think I read it too. My understanding is that it encourages the immune system which is something Crohn's kids don't want.

Here is what I have found on Melatonin and Crohn's:
Though melatonin is known as a hormone that helps synchronize sleep-wake cycles, it has also been shown to be produced in the digestive tract in quantities far larger than in the brain (Bubenik 2002). Melatonin reduces TNF-α levels (Johe 2005). Numerous in vitro and animal studies have suggested that melatonin can reduce inflammation in IBD (Terry 2009). Melatonin synthesis increases in IBD patients and higher levels are associated with lower symptoms, suggesting it is part of the body’s attempt to reduce excessive inflammation (Boznanska 2007). In a double-blind trial of 60 patients with ulcerative colitis being treated with mesalazine, half were randomized to take melatonin and half to take placebo for one year (Chojnacki 2011). Inflammation and clinical symptoms rose in the placebo group while the melatonin group remained in remission. This confirms an earlier, uncontrolled study showing that melatonin was helpful for patients with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis (Rakhimova 2010). Caution is warranted though - at least one case study has been published in which melatonin caused a flare of ulcerative colitis that did not respond to glucocorticoids (Maldonado 2008).

I only found 1 article from 2002 that says Melatonin triggers Crohn's symptoms. Couldn't access the article:
J Pineal Res. 2002 May;32(4):277-8.
Melatonin triggers Crohn's disease symptoms.
Calvo JR, Guerrero JM, Osuna C, Molinero P, Carrillo-Vico A

It seems there is conflicting data out there. Probably not a lot of research into Melatonin simply due to lack of funding for this type of research(no one is going to make money off of it). I'm a little conservative so when in doubt I would probably not take it or only for a short period of time and pay close attention to any affect on your body.

My daughter had been taking melatonin for several years before her diagnosis. She has always been an anxious kid, and melatonin really helped her sleep. We asked her GI about it after diagnosis, and she said it was OK to keep taking it. I decided to take her off it though, since I had read that it could enhance the immune system, which seemed like it could counteract the immunosuppressant drugs she was taking.

After about 6 months off it, she was having a lot of trouble sleeping, so we asked her GI about it again, and she again OK'd it. So she's taking 1 mg at night again, seemingly without any issues. Like anything, I think its a matter of balancing benefits and risks.